Tutorial: Beginner's Guide to Miniature Photography

Don't know what happened to Doug's Miniature Photography 101 thread that was in here, but I feel this is a very valid thing to have in this area.

Found this today while surfing the web and thought it'd be very useful for a lot of us who try to take pics of our figures: TUTORIAL: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MINIATURE PHOTOGRAPHY

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
TURNED DOWN THE VOLUME
  • Like 12
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TGP
      Our Anti-Hero Rictur Diehn the Assassin (2430) has decided to build a Wet Palette**

PARTS LIST:
      Peanut Butter Jar Lid, 90mm, culled from recycle bin Peanut Butter Jar Lid, 85mm, culled from recycle bin Paper Towels, Bounty Brand, nicked from kitchen Parchment Paper, Reynolds Brand, nicked from kitchen Copper Wire, Solid, 3mm OD, purchased from Home Depot for $0.63 / foot  
      QUANTITIES (In Order):
      (1), (1), (4 half sheets), (2 layers), (10--12 inches (255-300mm) )  

#Searchwords
      TGPTGP;  acid washed; Palette; Recycle Bin; Scratchbuilt; Plastic Lids; Copper
      **With some off camera help from Pendrake The Griffon
    • By OneBoot
      Let's get this party started!

Huzzah! 
      --OneBoot :D 
    • By Lyn
      There is a Kickstarter going on until January 7th, 2019 for the English version of the book “The Art of Miniature” by Mohand Art. 
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mohandart/the-art-of-the-miniature-miniature-art-tutorial-bo

• By BLZeebub
      I started this in a WIP and have finally finished my first background for taking pictures.  This one is made with fairly lightweight watercolor paper.  I taped it down tight, primed with gesso, and built up from light to dark layers (all cheap craft paints).  The concept was for the whole thing to appear nebulous, as a dark cloud with obscured lighter flashes.  I think it turned out pretty close to my vision.  The half-painted creatures are just my first test shot with the background.  My phone camera did occasionally try to focus on the background, so on the next attempt (some kind of brighter theme) I will try to soften the edges (paint started to dapple on the blacks and grays).  What do you think?

WIP here:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83003-attempting-to-paint-generic-backgrounds-for-miniature-photography/&tab=comments#comment-1760821

For those curious, the bug is primed in Reaper brush on primer, black, and it's carapace has two coats of Golden's Interference (purple-green) paint.  Boxy is clean Bones, primed with Brown Liner with Old West Rose fleshy bits.  They'll get their own WIP soon.

• By Gadgetman!
      A bit bored at the office, so...  

Shall we take a little hike?

you're following a trail when it suddenly enters a dark and forboding forest. Do you enter?

Feel free to use that in a game, but yeah, I take payment in candy...

Once upon a time...

I grew up in this fjord...

Lets head up in the mountains. Frankly, I'm not too certain where these next pictures were taken.

Now, the next one...

This is taken not far from where I live now. About 3Km in distancee and 5hours hike... (Healthier people can do it in 3 hours, maybe)

A local beach. Also a nature preserve, so no motorized access.

A bit of a view among the trees...

A couple of pictures from an early autumn hike last year, up to a mountain lake.

Unpacked(read; just dumped my gear in the shelter. )

Yes, it's possible to sleep on the benches, if you bring a sleeping bag and some sort of padding. Which is lucky because there's no flat space large enough to pitch a tent.

There's supposed to be decent sized trout in the lake... Unfortunately, my GOOD rod was broken...

At 10pm...

On my way back down the next morning, I stopped to take a photo or two, and also one of my big camera(Ondurama 17x6)

And finally, another one where I'm not really certain where it's from.

That's all for now...

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)