Why you should read Pratchett

Dr.Bedlam

Crowley (the demon)  was most proud of his work on the M-6 London Ring road since it was in the shape of and ancient rune spelling out "all hail Dagon, the black beast" .  It had taken a few bribes, several public meetings and one wet and raininy night of moving surveyor stakes a crucial few hundred feet.  Traveling on it was like water on a prayer wheel to evil.  It made everyone just a little bit madder which they would take out on their coworkers or families in small petty ways. increasing the amount of evil in the world by tens of thousands of small acts. 

He didn't think the other demons appreciated his work. 

-Good Omens

• Like 9

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone listen to the Radio adaptation of Good Omens which was on around Christmas? I haven't yet but intend to when I sit down to some painting time.

EDIT: Which I'd better do quick by the look of it as the first couple parts are only BBC's site for another 5 days,

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 3

I love Crowley's terrified plants.

I'm on my way trough the discworld series, currently at the last continent. I typically read a couple of them each year, and have been for a couple of years. I laugh way more on public transportation than is polite.

+1 on Good Omens or Guards!Guards! If you feel really determined to bite into the series, perhaps start from the beginning. I did, and didn't fall off. Then again, I read the entire Twilight Series, because I started on it and didn't stop, so..

• Like 3

I always am frustrated by authors who say they are a little embarrassed by their earlier works. It's what got them on the map.

I vote you start from the beginning, the first two or three at least. There's always a beginning.

And I really wanted to put that last sentence in all caps.

• Like 2

I started with a short story titled "The Sea and Little Fishes." I owe a lot to the first Legends Anthology. I bought it for the Stephen King, Tad Williams, and Robert Jordan short stories, but it got me addicted to George R. R. Martin and Terry Pratchett. I still maintain that "The Hedge Knight" is Martin's finest work to date.

I feel like more short stories would be really good for George RR Martin.  The man tends to ramble. 

• Like 3

Did anyone listen to the Radio adaptation of Good Omens which was on around Christmas? I haven't yet but intend to when I sit down to some painting time.

EDIT: Which I'd better do quick by the look of it as the first couple parts are only BBC's site for another 5 days,

Am I remember correctly that this was the one where they got Gaiman and Pratchett to do the reading, or is that wish fulfillment in my head?

• Like 2

Am I remember correctly that this was the one where they got Gaiman and Pratchett to do the reading, or is that wish fulfillment in my head?

I think there was an audiobook version which they read and they do cameo in this but it's not that one. This has got Peter Serafinowicz as Crowley who was last seen calling the Guardians of the Galaxy a bunch of A-holes.

EDIT: It's also on the YouTubes in case BBC iPlayer isn't in your regions.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 3

Ah Miss Melons, I used to love Piers Anthony...and then I matured enough to understand what was being written between the puns.  Pratchett is nothing like that at all. At All. I would start with Good Omens personally (as I recomended elsewhere) It is witty, it is a good story, and it explains the mas prevalence of taped copies of Queen's Greatest Hits in thrift stores and the like world wide

• Like 4

Used to love his books, then I hit a patch where I felt they were all getting kinda samey and not as good as they used to be (the last one I read was the Witches vs. Vampires), so I stopped picking them up with the intention of starting again in a few years, but I never did.

"Carpe Jugulum" was Pratchett's mockery of romanticized vampires -- in 1998! (He was good at spotting ridiculousness good and early.)

It's kind of a collision of the old Hammer horror film vampires and modern peacock-embroidered-waistcoat-wearing ponytailed vampires (an actual character, I swear), with a nod to adolescent angst. Part of its relevance is to show how much milder the killer fanatic religion in "Small Gods" has become, as its chief representative is an earnest, dull, puritanical and in the end utterly heroic traveling preacher.

It's the witches who save the day, though.

That probably explains why I didn't like it very much!

I really should try and get into them again, they were very good books for the most part.

• Like 1

Ah Miss Melons, I used to love Piers Anthony...and then I matured enough to understand what was being written between the puns.  Pratchett is nothing like that at all. At All. I would start with Good Omens personally (as I recomended elsewhere) It is witty, it is a good story, and it explains the mas prevalence of taped copies of Queen's Greatest Hits in thrift stores and the like world wide

That's the thing. I still love his books... but... :X

• Like 1

It's my experience that Piers Anthony is a taste you develop when you're a teener... and then you "outgrow" it... and then, years later, you pick up an old guilty pleasure and you generally wind up liking it again.

My first experience with Pratchett was a short story where Granny Weatherwax tries to quit being such a poisonous old witch... and terrifies everyone WAY out of proportion because NO one can believe she's turned over a new leaf and become a sweet old cookie bakin' lady, and they're TERRIFIED of what she MUST be planning. 

So after that I went to the library. The first book to turn up was "Eric," which starts in media res as Rincewind is trying to escape from the Dungeon Dimensions... and is accidentally summoned by a thirteen year old demonologist who's screwing around with granddad's demonology stuff, trying to summon up a demon. It's a romp through history and Hell, and is utterly hilarious. A sequel to The Colour Of Magic and Sourcery, which are the two books that Pratchett admits weren't quite there yet. Eric, though, is where Pratchett first hits his stride, and they get better from there.

I agree that Good Omens is stunning, on a par with the best of the Hitchhiker's Guide books, and arguably better. I really wish that Pratchett and Gaiman had done more together. I really, REALLY wish that Good Omens would get made into a movie by someone who knows what he's doing... as opposed to the producer who spoke to Gaiman about Anansi Boys, and the first words out of his mouth were, "Do these main characters HAVE to be black?"*

*The story comes straight from Gaiman, in the intro to one of his stories. And since Anansi Boys is a semisequel to American Gods, and is about the sons of a West African god, one wonders what the producer was thinking in wanting to make them some other color...

EDIT: Good Omens is a story about an angel, a demon, the AntiChrist, and the Apocalypse, among other things, and it is hilarious. Here is a link to some fan art done by Phil Foglio, of all people, in which the demon Crowley and the angel Aziriphale, in the first part of the book, are discussing what happens, now that they both have done their jobs and Adam and Eve are kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Be sure to click the NEXT button; there are TWO pages of art. http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/goodomens.php#.VLmK4kfF_EJ Inking by Matt Howarth!

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3