Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

77072: Bailey Silverbell

I think it's a damn good effort but I see what your saying. Oh and never grocery shop or paint when hungry ;)

• Like 2

She looks nice. I've noticed too that my painting goes downhill along with my blood sugar. Too hard to stay focused and keep the hands steady. 

• Like 2

She is darned fine for a speed paint, but I do see what you mean about the cloak.  At first glance it looks more like camouflage than it probably should.  But it's an excellent example of how to choose locations for highlights.  The simplified style is actually really cool.  ^_^

• Like 1

The cloak looks like an artistic choice (though one I wouldn't make, but I'm no artist), but the rest? Another table-top speed paint?!

I hate you! ;p

• Like 1

But it's an excellent example of how to choose locations for highlights.  The simplified style is actually really cool.  ^_^

That's the goal of these projects. I was astounded watching Derek Schubert paint, he's very economical in his brushwork. His theory of how to fix mistakes is 'don't make them'. So I just focused on giving the 'gist' of what I'd spend a lot longer doing and tried to pay attention to what worked and what didn't. Posting this with that horribad top highlight makes me crazy, but at least you guys see I'm willing to share the /entire/ process, even when it's not easy!

Thanks for the kind words, folks! As I said, this one was tough to share but a great lesson, so really it's a win in my book. As long as you learn something, it's not a failure!

• Like 2

I did learn a bit more about trying to maximize brushstrokes, and I also learned that I need to work a lot more with my paint consistency.

Anyway, here she is.

She looks good Cash. You have peaked my interest in what you have learned; could elaborate on "maximize brushstrokes" and "paint consistency" please sir?

• Like 1

Maximize brushstrokes: related to brush control, I mean making the most of each brushstroke I make. I normally do a lot of thin layering and shift around the highlights and shadows, very time consuming. And I make a lot of mistakes which I need to spend a lot of time fixing. By improving my brush control and being more accurate when I apply paint, I will eventually reduce the total amount of brushstrokes needed to paint a miniature significantly.

Paint consistency: controlling the flow, load and opacity of paint. I still struggle to get my paint thinned properly, often erring either too thick or too thin for the application. Usually I want a pretty thin paint, but for some things like edge highlights or freehand, I want it thicker to cover in one pass. I find this balance difficult, and it keeps changing depending on what I'm painting at the moment.

Painting is hard, yo.

• Like 7

The blending is pretty much non-existant for the highlights but outside of that looks good. Do another 4-5 of these and I think you'll get the blending in.

Then, after you've got the hang of more efficient paint jobs go do a more time consuming piece and look at how awesome it will end up.

• Like 2

There's a lot to like with this mini. The armor, leather, face, and hair are all nicely done.

It's interesting to note that the stark top highlight on the corset (?) works much better than the one on the cloak. My guess is it is a matter of material. You might expect a really shiny black leather with that type of highlighting, but not with cloth where you expect more gradual transitions.

• Like 2

You could always add a couple more patches of the highlight color on the cloak in the same style and call it camouflage. It's not a flaw it's a feature!

This!

• Like 2

You could always add a couple more patches of the highlight color on the cloak in the same style and call it camouflage.    It's not a flaw it's a feature!

She has a LOVELY Face & a Camo-Cloak...when I first saw her, I thought "camouflage; How cool!" That aside, GREAT WORK!

I have the opposite reaction to an empty stomach; i.e., once I eat I go into nap mode. This is probably yet another sign of imminent senility.

• Like 3

You could always add a couple more patches of the highlight color on the cloak in the same style and call it camouflage.    It's not a flaw it's a feature!

She has a LOVELY Face & a Camo-Cloak...when I first saw her, I thought "camouflage; How cool!" That aside, GREAT WORK!

I too thought it was camo and thought it was very cool for the figure in question. :) I really like what you've done here.

Edited by uncas
  • Like 1