Resin bases - does anybody buy them?

Lovejoy

I like the Victoriana and Dungeon ones - have no real use for the possessed one, and can't see that I would ever have a use for it.

What you've done with those two would complement bases I have from other manufacturers, so I would consider getting them to give a bit more variety to the basing.

The only thing that I would like to mention is that some manufacturers forget that a model has to fit on the base somewhere, so get a bit too fancy (the Back-2-baseicks forest bases are a good example of this, they look good but some of the bases aren't practical for mounting figures on). So as long as you don't fall into that trap then you should be fine :-)

• Like 4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the broken tile and the cobblestone streets, they're very much what I had in mind. If you added a few more variations to those styles, I would definitely be interested.

Besides Victorian streets, the cobblestones also work for fantasy and pirate minis and those genres associated towns folk.

The possessed ones I'm not too fussy about, but then I'm not a fan of chaosy or mutant minis anyway, so I'm not the target audience there.

• Like 4

The only thing that I would like to mention is that some manufacturers forget that a model has to fit on the base somewhere, so get a bit too fancy (the Back-2-baseicks forest bases are a good example of this, they look good but some of the bases aren't practical for mounting figures on). So as long as you don't fall into that trap then you should be fine :-)

^^This^^

I like all of the ones you did, and could easily find uses for them.

• Like 1

^^This^^

I like all of the ones you did, and could easily find uses for them.

Agreed 100%  Bases make for great minis, but if they don't work with most figures, they don't really work

• Like 1

Thanks again for the feedback guys and gals - I'll drop the possessed bases, because they definitely have very limited uses, but mostly because they are really difficult to cast properly!

I'll focus on developing the other two styles; and I'll go with 30mm, 40mm, 50mm and 120mm sizes. The 120mm presented a problem though, as I didn't have a blank one to work from, and there were none on ebay... so I've made one. I had a bunch of old plastic discs from packs of CD-Rs, three 1mm thick, and one .5mm thick, which is perfect as the lipped bases are 3.5mm deep. I cut a 112mm circle out of one of them, because I needed a recessed base, and then superglued them together. I filled the hole in the middle with Milliput. Then I sanded the lip. Which took about two hours. The plastic was extremely tough! Still, I now have a blank 120mm base to mould and cast.

120.jpg

Hopefully it'll look a bit more impressive the next time I take a photo of it... ^_^

• Like 9

I like them all, but wouldn't buy the possessed bases. There is probably a good market right now for the Victorian street/curb style as there are a number of skirmish games that have come out within the past year that are becoming very popular, not to mention be very useful for steampunk games as well.

• Like 5

Actually, I rather like the "possessed" base as well. I think it would be fantastic for ghosts and ghouls and witches. That being said, I'd probably only want 5 or 10 of them, tops. The dungeon ruins and street bases would be the most useful for me (as well as your wooden floor base from the first post; I didn't get the stamp KS and have a hard time finding wooden floor bases).

Also, I like the way their tongues hang out. It's funny ::P:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2