I was photographing something else yesterday. The something else ended badly. I was documenting it.

Anyway, the Fire Elemental was nearby and the lighting setup looked promising so I let the camera have a try even though the LFE is notoriously hard to photograph.

The Raw Image

A7F897F0-BFAB-410B-AE2E-C5A80795A981_zps

My phone has a small app on it from Adobe, and it has a selection of preset "effects" filters it can apply. I tried several, saved a few that looked fiery.

The Filter That Looked Like Lava

AA3413DE-9D53-4617-906A-3F4BBD9C8792_zps

A Kind of Spot Lighting?

DC966A37-854D-4FD5-B62C-040142F62485_zps

Similar to Above But Darker

BC478C24-B048-45E0-BBFE-ECDE3A8E70B2_zps

Hope these are at least fun to look at or maybe inspiration if someone is wanting to paint fire.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

like the effects.   The first pic seems to be quite good for the LFE.

I thought that too, I especially liked the way it seems to be lit from below.

But then I also think it looks like a large orange juice elemental.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you fine Reaper acolytes!

So this evening I've finished another grand old Partha classic, sculpted by the immortal Julie Guthrie, a Sorceress Casting Spell.  As always, couldn't easily choose colors, but this is what I came up with:

The only problem I really had was her other eye, which just couldn't be reached with a brush, so this is with a close up, how it came out:

Sometimes it's just rough getting a brush in such an itty bitty space.  So I did what I could.  Anyway hope you all enjoy!

• By Adrift
      Galladoria Games’ floating crystals which will soon make their way into my Dnd game and a nice cozy fireplace and versatile fire from Reaper. 

• By 72moonglum
      Tere Reaperlased! 
      So here's another miniature from the days gone by, a Julie Guthrie Female Giant, originally in her All Things Dark and Dangerous line.  This is apparently version two of the miniature.  The first one I painted maybe a year or so ago, a more primitive looking hill giant lady, who has always been one of my favorite figures Julie has sculpted along with her female centaur

Julie Guthrie Hill Giant

Julie Guthrie Centaurs

Anyhoos, here she is:

and then afterwards a comparison photo so you can see her against one of her contemporaries, a female mage:

once again, color choice was so hard and I have no idea where the inspiration for purple hair came from. I think it was due to the fact that she wasn't a earth-tone hill giant, but a little more civilized. And we all know most civilized women have purple hair. 

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

• By Smallbunyanga
      Done with all Reaper Paints and an AP Wash

• By R2ED
      I received this little 3D print with some minis I bought near the beginning of me getting back into painting.  I looked at it and thought it was soooo cool.  Now that months have gone by and I've got more of an eye for things I like and don't like, it became immediately apparent that this thing had a number of flaws.
      1.  3D print left that weird topographic build quality to it.
      2.  The paint has a weird time adhering to it because of the lines in the model
      3.  The size of it is WAY out of proportion for 28mm, unless those are actual full size trees and this is a campfire for giants.

Overall it's just not a very good model.  Yet, it was something that was sitting there calling me out and needed to get painted.  I'll find some use for it, but I honestly think it came out pretty decent.  I used a Stormy Grey from MSP on the rocks w/ GW Agrax Earthshade.  On the wood I used a chocolate brown and brown sand mix (leftover on the palette...just went for it) with a GW Sepia Wash.  Then I used flat red inside the burning log, highlighted up with a lemon yellow and flat red mix, then highlighted again with lemon yellow.  Then dotted with white.  The log was a little on the light side after the first wash, so I took Nuln Oil to it and dulled it down, which worked and gave it that more dark colored effect.  The whole thing looks like it's actually warm when I'm looking at it, so the effect worked!  I'm pretty happy with it.  Now I just gotta find an ogre or giant to put it with....

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)