77059: Black Orc (Bones)

papabees

So this is only my third fantasy fig ever. I have been painting for quite a while but it has always been battlemechs, CAVs, tanks, etc. I've been enamored with Song of Blades and Heroes and intend to use this for a warband. At any any rate, I'm fairly happy with it given my experience while at the same time realizing there is certainly room to improve. Thoughts are more than welcome as I want to grow. Some of this I posted in Show Off so bear with me if you have heard it before. Things I think I learned: 

1. Eyes are a pain in the backside. These turned out OK I guess but I felt like I was more lucky than anything else with where my green pupils ended up. I'm not sure how I will manage on figures with smaller faces. Need to find a good tutorial.

2. Glazes need some work. Not sure I had my recipe correct. I felt like it helped the skin transition some but not to the extent I was hoping for.

3. If I want something to look rusty I can use a lot more ink. I used an orangy burnt sienna on the armor to tone it down and you can barely make out the difference. When I was putting it on it felt just right but after drying, meh, not so much.

4. The camera is unkind. I felt like this looked pretty good from a tables eye view but when I look at the pics I find a great deal to be critical of.

post-394-0-36297600-1421605695_thumb.jpg

Edited by CashWiley
Added SKU and tag
  • Like 15

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes, eyes are a PITA. There are some good posts here on the board about how to do them. It's going to come down to practice. I think you did a good job with his eyes, though.

2. I can't glaze anything; I'm still trying to 'get' that.

3.I think you did well on the armor. It has a worn, beat up look to it.

4.Yes, cameras are incredibly unkind.

You did a great job for your 3rd fantasy mini, keep it up!

I also like the non-standard (green) orc skin, too.

The issue I think I had with the glaze is that I was unsure of the recipe to mix it myself. I just thinned my original base color (dark elf flesh) with airbrush medium until it was about the consistency of water.

Edited by papabees

The glaze was a bit too thin, IMO.  I think you would do well to make them a little bit thicker (something around skim milk to 2% milk consistency).  It's a well done figure, your Mech-painting experience shows this and does a good job translating across to the new figure type.

• Like 1