Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This was my entry in the Reaper Facebook Quarterly Painting Contest. I wanted her to look like she is living in a magical cavern. I had a whole vision for how I wanted her base and I mostly pulled it off. She turned out pretty much how I envisioned her. It took way more work than I anticipated but I learned a whole lot about making scenic bases! I ended up buying a router and having my husband help me create the cave in the side of the plinth.
She sits on the base so I can still grab her and put her on the table for D&D if I want to. My only issue with her is that she is difficult to photograph! I don't have a good picture of the back.
Some partly modified Nolzur's Myconid Adults, plus a WotC Manes demon I got in a random box. I had no need of flabby little demons, and I do have need of spore servants, so I took drill and sewing pins to them as described in this thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85573-putting-the-fun-in-fungal-infestation/
Behold Mushroom Buddy 1! He's inspired by Boletus subvelutipes, Boletus bicolor, and other more flashy boletes.
And here's Mushroom Buddy 2, modded up with pins. More of a Boletus edulis / B. pinophilus look to him, with enokitake/ Flammulina velutipes sprouts. More of a waxy-cap or psilocybe color to the little sprouts though; all pale would be boring.
And here's Cletus the spore servant. I figure in life he was a very fat goblin. I made these mushroom stems a very subtle purple (Slaanesh grey + Reaper Vampiric Flesh).
And here's a group shot!
A while back I posted some Shroom Dudes I'd sculpted, and noted one of them had a bunch of little shroom fruiting bodies sticking out all over. I mentioned how this was done, but a step-by-step can't hurt. You'll need a mini, sewing pins with flattish but slightly domed heads, a very fine drill, some pliers, and superglue.
Here's a long-unused Manes demon I got in a WotC grab bag, and a much-more-recently-acquired Nolzur's Myconid Adult. Let's call 'em Cletus and Boletus. Cletus will become a Spore Servant.Boletus will get an upgrade.
Clamp your mini down firmly. FIRMLY! Otherwise the drill bit may try to skitter, and if there's one thing you DON'T want skittering, it's a rotating blade.
Now, get a very very fine drill bit and drill some holes in 'em! What angle should those holes be? It's graceful if they're more vertical than 90°, but you can make it work with most angles.
Next, get as many pins as you have holes drilled. These pins will be your long-stemmed mushrooms.
It's probably smart to gauge the angle of the hole by inserting a straight pin into each hole before you begin the next step. And it's always a good idea to be a smarter crafter than I!
Then, BEND them pins. You want smooth curves, but *not* consistent lengths or uniform shapes.
Mushrooms do not require light to grow, but the taller they are, the further their spores can disperse.
Now, get that superglue and glue those pins into the holes you've made for them. I advise starting at the top and working down. For verisimilitude, you want to avoid uniform heights and parallel curves (and indeed, straight lines at all).
Then slap some paint onto those fungal stems and caps, and hey presto!
Who's Online 20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)