Reaper Master Series Paints - how does heat/cold affect them?

I had to put my paints in storage a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the storage unit is not climate controlled. Does anyone know if the paints would still be good/usable after being kept at widely fluctuating temperatures? It has occasionally been below freezing during the winters, but usually around the 40-45 F mark. Summer can get up into the 90s at times.

I could ask the same about my minis. Does being kept in the heat/cold do any harm to them?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, the paints should be checked but below freezing isn't necessarily bad. Paints freeze at a lower temperature than water does and typically would need to be in single digit, zero or sub-zero temps for there to be a problem.

Speaking from personal experience, I had my paints in storage for a couple years as well, not climate controlled.     So far they seem to be fine, though I have not checked every bottle.   Some needed to have some more distilled water added, 'cause they got a little thick which is likely from years of not being used and possibly loose caps more than freezing, I'm thinking.

I have not yet found any that were ruined, but again, I have not tested every paint yet.  I'm just checking as I go, using them.    So far, better than half seem to be fine.    Temps went below freezing at some point during storage, as well as 90s and above.

• Like 2

The fact they sat around unused for several years is much more likely to contribute to any bottles that may have become unusable.

Essentially, to truly kill acrylic paint, it really needs to have frozen solid at some point. Which it generally won't do if inside a building unless it was below freezing temps inside the building for more than several days. Unless the temps inside the building dropped below the freezing point for more than five or six days at a time (unlikely in the weather you described), chances are the paints - which were most likely stored inside a box (one additional barrier between them and the freezing temps) - never got cold enough to start freezing.

However, that's not to say that they might not have been adversely affected by any exposure they may have had - as stated, check each bottle.

I'm not sure anyone's ever tried heating up their paints to see what kind of heat it would take to cause them to start breaking down, but I can tell you with some certainty that it's a hell of a lot hotter than anything they'd experience under normal weather conditions anywhere people are likely to live and be painting minis.

Edited by Mad Jack

If one of them tests good, most likely most of them will be all right.  Reaper MSPs are remarkably resilient to long storage.  The bigger problem would be losing water over time.  It is a good idea to test your paints every so often to make sure they are not getting too thick.  I try to do that at least once a year as insurance.

So far, I've had one MSP paint die in the bottle, a bottle of white primer that sat around too long before getting the water it needed.  I also have some of the old LTPK pots on a sprue that I purposely let sit idle.  After several years, I checked them and found most were okay or fixable with only two (of twelve) that had dried up.

Edit: As shown in italics.  Corrected for memory glitch.

Edited by Serenity

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm hoping to get back into painting again someday, and didn't want to discover that my significant investment in MSP paints had all been ruined just because I couldn't afford a heated unit. 

No better day than today! Come join the fun and share with us your progress.  ::D:

• Like 1

Putting a piece of cellophane tape over the label tends to help with the fading. Usig a bit of brush-on sealer also works. Of course, a lot of mine have already faded away to bad to read before I decided to try taping them.

Most printed labels for larger items get a UV-protective coating added as the last stage of printing, but the labels for the bottles are probably just printed in-house on a regular printer...

• Like 1

Bit of a necropost...

I have checked some of my MSPs. I first wrote to [email protected] to let them know what happened.

Do NOT store your MSPs in front of a window.

Cracked Caps that disintegrated when I touched them.

Lesson learned. Now need to order new bottles and reorganize my space... *sigh*

Edit: Does Reaper no longer sell replacement bottles? Zero in stock. I need some.

Edited by Kheprera