Adventuring Party: 77062, Deenah, 77135, Mariel Twinspar, 77133 Gruff Grimespar, and 77021, Lindir

Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun here. What a wonderful way to start with a group of nicely painted minis, I think my favorite is Mariel. But they are all great. Fantastic color choices. Also I love the polka dots on Gruff.

Nice skin tones and faces my only suggestion is lining your eyes a bit for better defintion and also a high reflection point would make them pop so much more. You have nice lines and colors adding a bit more depth with shadows and highlights would really compliment your painting.

Wonderful painting and I can't wait to see more soon.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun here. What a wonderful way to start with a group of nicely painted minis, I think my favorite is Mariel. But they are all great. Fantastic color choices. Also I love the polka dots on Gruff.

Nice skin tones and faces my only suggestion is lining your eyes a bit for better defintion and also a high reflection point would make them pop so much more. You have nice lines and colors adding a bit more depth with shadows and highlights would really compliment your painting.

Wonderful painting and I can't wait to see more soon.

I can't take credit for the polka dots. I stole copied was inspired by this post: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58555-pirates-77135-77134-77133-77132-77131/?hl=gruff

Good point about the eyes. I've been working on subtle lining on other parts of the mini, but didnt think to try it on the eyes too.

Edited by AutumnHare
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forums! You're off to a great start! You've got good brush control, and your color choices work very well together. The best way to get better is to keep practicing, and to ask questions; there are lots of very talented people here who are very happy to help. The most important thing is to have fun though.

I'll also echo Marsya's comments. Check out dks' technique for painting eyes: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/36753-how-i-paint-eyes/. Step 2 is the key step you're missing that would improve your eyes dramatically.

You could also up your game by adding some more depth to your colors with shading and highlighting. Since you are going for tabletop, I would recommend giving your minis a wash in a dark grey or brown after putting down the base colors, then highlight back up with the base color. This will give you some contrast.

Welcome to the forums, and great adventuring party. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

And again, welcome to the Forums!  enjoy the scenery.  Nice set of adventurers, though I can't tell if they are murderhobos yet.  that badge is only given to parties that settle bar tabs by killing towns and trying to justify it as lawful and righteous. 

Good beginnings and good brush control.  if you want to step up the shading and highlighting, there are many tutorials on the forum and so many folk who can help.  Just ask any of 'em.

Welcome again and it looks like you're off to a great start!

Roo

I second or third the comments on very impressive brush control and some nice color choices!

And since I don't seems to have anything original to say I'll just reiterate this too: To make them look even better at arms length, overdo the highlights/shadows :P

Welcome!

Great work! Colors look solid and the detail work is pretty impressive. How long have you been painting?

If you stick around the forums, you'll hear this advice a whole lot, since pretty much everyone gets it at one point or another: more contrast! In some ways, really deep shadows and bright highlights are even more important for tabletop, since they'll make your minis pop and help the details stand out even at a distance. Like others have said, you have really good paint placement, a good eye for color, and good solid basecoats, and even the beginnings of some shadows and highlights, so the next step for you is definitely trying to push that contrast to the extreme. (Also, I second lining the eyes. The Bette Davis Eyes tutorial is fantastic and a very easy method for achieving striking eyes. Black or Walnut can be kind of harsh on white skin though, so I suggest something like Woodstain Brown for lining.)

You definitely do get to take credit for the polka dots, by the way. Everyone is inspired by something, but that's actually some particularly difficult freehand, technically speaking. Those dots are mostly evenly sized, and are all actually round. That's a difficult feat to accomplish, so even if someone else did it first, you should feel very good about it.

• Like 2

Those would look darn good on a tabletop. I like them. They aren't overly complicated as far as shading is concerned. I don't see them being shelf pieces but I would pick them up faster then pretty much any prepainted mass produced mini. I particularly like the dwarf cook. They all look good but he is your best. Keep it up, I can see you rocketing past my own level in no time.

Thanks for the links to the eye tutorials. It's been too long since I read them. I've been essentially doing the Bette Davis eyes method, but without the brown liner step.

I've been trying to get better about thinning my paints more and building up colors over a base wash of brown liner. I saw it in someone's WIP and really liked the results. I'm not a fan of the "cartoon"ish style with bold dark lining and extreme contrast that many people prefer. The poor photos took out much of the highlighting that I can see when holding the mini, but I will try to force myself to push them a bit more for February. Challenge Accepted.

Slender troll, I painted my first mini ever while Bones I was going on. I wanted to see if I liked painting minis before making a pledge. My pocketbook regrets this, but I do not!