Going Native: New World Monsters

Paymaster Games

I finalized my pledge submission, and I am getting pretty much one of everything I don't have already, and then a few more.

1 – Ai Apeac The Decapitator

1 - Deer Woman

1 - The Flying Heads (Two Model Kit)

1 - Vision Serpent

1 - Fleeing Child (2 Model Kit)

4 - Jo-Ga-Oh Stonethrower

1 - Menehune Band (6 model kit)

2 - Mo’o, the Guardian Gekko

1 - Mallku, The Condor Spirit

1 - Capelobo

1 - Xiuhcoatl, The Fire Serpent

1 - Crystal Skull Engine

1 - The Skin Walker (two model kit)

1 - Basket Woman (w/ Fleeing Child)

2 - Tamangori

1 - Pua Tu Tahi, The Monstrous Clam

1 - Ewah (two model kit)

1 - Camazotz, the Death Bat

1 - Amarok Pack (3 model kit)

1 - Mishibizhiw, the Underwater Panther

1 - Uktena, the Great Horned Serpent

1 - Piasa Bird

1 - Great Thunderbird

1 - Ogopogo, The American Lake Monster

1 - Polynesian Adventurers (3 Model Kit)

1 - Hawaiian Warrior Unit (6 Model Kit)

1 - Hawaiian Spearman Unit (6 Model Kit)

1 - Hawaiian Oarsman (6 Model Kit)

1 - Mayan General

1 - Mayan Holcan (2 Model Kit)

1 - Mayan Archer (2 Model Kit)

1 - Wendigo— $15

2 - Tlahuelpuchi, Aztec Vampire

2 - Inca Shaman Doctor

I'm really looking forward to the Hawaiian warriors.

Halber

• Like 5

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finalized my order and PayPal add-in. I ended up with about double what I had originally planned for. The theme and style was too cool not to go all in, though. My order ended up looking like:

Ai Apeac the Decapitator (free with my Early Bird pledge)
Ewah
Skin Walker
Camazotz, the Death Bat
Vision Serpent
Crystal Skull Engine
Ahklut, the Orca Wolf
Basket Woman
Wendigo
Going Native Dungeon Crawl Team (with the Warrior Poet leader)
Piasa Bird
Capelobo
Flying Heads
Great Thunderbird
Ogopogo, the American Lake Monster

I don't think that there was a bad figure in the bunch, though. Narrowing it down was pretty hard, especially when it came to picking only one of the "snakes". I'd like a few more of the Crystal Skull Golems as well, but figure I can get them later down the road, when the situation actually calls for it. :)

• Like 4

About the only sculpt I really didn't like was the fleering child. Maybe it's the angle of the picture but the head looks all wrong to me. I did like the Ewah art better than the sculpt but I still like the sculpt enough to buy one. The Piasa bird got me into this, along with a few others, so it was definitely coming to roost in my house. I was fery happy to see The art and sculpt matched so well there.

• Like 1

Here's what I decided on. I'm not adding anything on post-kickstarter and staying with my original pledge.

1   Xiuhcoatl, Fire Serpent        $15

1   Crystal Skull Engine            $15

1   Ewah (Two Model Kit)         $15

1   Vision Serpent                     $10

• Like 3

I got this Facebook post today and I felt that I had to share what I had to say here -

I love the Going Native series! A great idea, filling a vastly underrepresented gaming niche, and the sculpts are fantastic! Will definitely be placing an order. Do you plan to do any updates/expansions? Do you take requests?

Yes this is not a onetime thing. The Going Native line is going to be Paymaster Games main product line. Our main goal is to provide the best Native American, Polynesian and Aborigine models that can be brought to the table top for historical and fantasy games. Once this campaign has delivered my next part of this project is to focus on the different native warriors that are featured in the Going Native Rule book. Those first nation forces are the Pacific Northwest Tribes, Inuit/Eskimo, Plains Tribes, Eastern Woodlands, Aztec Triple Alliance, Mayan City States, Inca Empires, The Tupi, Hawaiian Koa, and the Maori. We are also planning models for Aborigine Tribes, Mapuche, Kiribati, and Cree just to name a few. Along with the Warriors we are planning many more spirit beasts from all over the New World and the pacific. These would include more serpents, skinwalkers, and sasquatches just to name a few. As to stuff I would like to do, I would like to do a RPG set in this world. Since I have had allot of trouble with playing and GMing RPGs in the past i would likely write an overcomplicated skirmish game. So if you know anyone who knows RPG games fairly well and is willing to help me write a proper RPG source book please send them my way.

As to the requests question, what did you have in mind? I do not have all native lore and myths in front of me and sometime local knowledge helps. A pledger in the New World Monsters campaign introduced me to the Jo Ga Oh, a Native American fairy from the north east. When I dug deeper I discovered that there was three different Jo Ga Oh, the implosive Stone throwers, the persistent Drum Dances, and vigilant Underground People. This set of models started with a very flavorful little guy, and I have to admit that I am looking forward to making the rest of this set and seeing what look like when they on the table top next to a human units and models. So I am open to your ideas.

What are your thoughts guys and gals?

• Like 5

As to stuff I would like to do, I would like to do a RPG set in this world. Since I have had allot of trouble with playing and GMing RPGs in the past i would likely write an overcomplicated skirmish game. So if you know anyone who knows RPG games fairly well and is willing to help me write a proper RPG source book please send them my way.

Ooooh! I would love to see something like this. Though honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to do the RPG as a third-party addon for a more mainline system? You say you have trouble doing RPGs, but maybe it wouldn't be so far fetched to release the Spirit Beasts as an unofficial monster manual for D&D? Likewise, I'm sure you could do custom classes (or options for pre-existing classes) using the various cultural cues inherent in your product. Just a thought. :)

Regardless, keep up the good work! You've definitely found an underrepresented segment of the fantasy market here. I can't wait to see the models in person! :)

• Like 3

Do you know some one the knows D&D and pathfinder systems please send them my way and I will print that monster manual tomorrow. I wanted to make that book since I started this project. I have the setting figured out, the world has been designed, and I have found a cartographer to create the world map. I just do not know how to apply this setting to a rule set. I really don't. I have been a table top gamer most of my life and that is what I understand.

Morari - Would you like a overcomplicated skirmish game that has some RPG elements?

I wish I knew some designers to send your way!

As far as as the skirmish game goes, I probably wouldn't be as keen on it. But really, that's just me. I've tried a number of skirmish games in the past and they never quite seem to click for my group, though I do recall Mordheim at least having some fun RPG-esque elements. It being "overly complicated" would only further hinder our adoption, I think. :P

Edited by morari