Bones used for D&D/Roleplaying

Some of Paizo/WizKids' prepainted stuff is pretty good and Reaper, despite their huge inventory, doesn't have a mini for everything yet. (Maybe Bones III will fix that. Wait, don't shoot me, Bryan!)  I picked up the Pathfinder Battles Rune Giant at a sale the other month and it looks pretty fantastic, as far as prepaints go.

The paint jobs on the commons, though... ugh. There's a lot of drybrushing of things that just shouldn't be drybrushed.

FireElemental's had some decent luck repainting the prepaints.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't talk to me about drybrushing. That was the answer for EVERYTHING in the first wave of Mage Knight figures...

Yeah, Paizo's figures weren't bad, but D&D among other things kind of burned me out on blind-box booster packs...

• Like 2

Don't talk to me about drybrushing. That was the answer for EVERYTHING in the first wave of Mage Knight figures...

Yeah, Paizo's figures weren't bad, but D&D among other things kind of burned me out on blind-box booster packs...

I really don't like the blind figure buying in general. I've been getting mine off ebay when I need them. The commons are often just a $1-2 each and I can get exactly what I want.

• Like 4

RPG Locker has an excellent selection of d&d and pathfinder singles (and Bones for that matter), and decent pricing. It's a small shop though so they don't ship everyday. I HATE random box minis and refuse to buy a case just to make sure I get the few unique ones I want, so I order them piecemeal.

• Like 3

I kind of like blind boxes because it's a bit like christmas... except sometimes you get a russian solider and a dumb looking demon that you have no use for...

Anyway I vacillate between buying boxes and singles. With pathfinder stuff though I've found that there aren't many figures worth more than their share of a box, which makes buying blind boxes not very useful. With D&D minis there were a lot that would be worth more than a box by themselves so there was some economic sense in buying the boxes. In particular I got most of my dragons as blind pulls, some of them are really hard to get ahold of now and they were always worth more than buying a box.

Edited by cycnet
  • Like 1

I kind of like blind boxes because it's a bit like christmas... except sometimes you get a russian solider and a dumb looking demon that you have no use for...

Anyway I vacillate between buying boxes and singles. With pathfinder stuff though I've found that there aren't many figures worth more than their share of a box, which makes buying blind boxes not very useful. With D&D minis there were a lot that would be worth more than a box by themselves so there was some economic sense in buying the boxes. In particular I got most of my dragons as blind pulls, some of them are really hard to get ahold of now and they were always worth more than buying a box.

I think I agree with that about the Pathfinder boxes. I got one, and I'm happy with the figures I chanced to get, but ever since that first box I keep thinking $15 is an awful lot for four plastic minis bought blind.

• Like 4

I like blind packs when there are multiple things that I can use many of, things like skeletons, kobolds, and other monstery things. it just becomes a problem when there are a bunch of things in them that I only want one of, or when the most common rarity is something like a unique named character.

Mostly I am just a sucker for hoards of faceless nameless mooks.

• Like 3

This is part of why I've been excited to get into bones. I want a gnoll? I buy a gnoll. Sure, I have to paint it, but it costs about the same as a blind bought figure and I got what I wanted. Also I *like* painting them and even though I sort of suck it actually ends up being about the same level of quality. And unlike the D and D stuff etc, I can actually paint all of a warband in matching colours and stuff so they look like they belong together. 

• Like 7

I like to use a ton of miniatures to do a quick battle scene using custom rules for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd editon.

You have a huge scene with dozens of miniatures and every action the players takes causes enemies or allies to fall or ranks of monsters to retreat or advance.

So in about 20 minutes and about 10 turns you can have a pitched battle letting players use their own strategy to clear out the battle and hopefully save all the NPCs they can and not cause a retreat.

Then you can go back to having a more traditional tactical RPG.

The only issue is setting up the terrain and having all the miniatures on hand for the battle.  But that is why Bones are so great.

• Like 3

I like to use a ton of miniatures to do a quick battle scene using custom rules for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd editon.

You have a huge scene with dozens of miniatures and every action the players takes causes enemies or allies to fall or ranks of monsters to retreat or advance.

So in about 20 minutes and about 10 turns you can have a pitched battle letting players use their own strategy to clear out the battle and hopefully save all the NPCs they can and not cause a retreat.

The only issue is setting up the terrain and having all the miniatures on hand for the battle.  But that is why Bones are so great.

After the horrible fail that was mass combat in Pathfinder, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and see if I can use your rules instead.  Share?

• Like 2

It's nothing special really.

Warhammer FRP 2nd edition used percentage dice to decide all actions.

So basically I just keep track of what each group of monsters or NPCs wants to do and use the base percentage of one of their stats to decide how successful they are.

So attack, run towards something (Aglitiy), keep going forward under enemy fire (Toughness).  It's all a single percentage role for each group of monsters using one of their ability scores.

What the players do is provide bonuses or penalties to that roll.  If they are going to do something simple like shoot a leader of a group with a bow and arrow then that monster group will get a - 10% to their next action or even simply retreat if the player gets a hard enough hit on the leader.

Or a PC can do something a bit more tactical like encourage some NPC soldiers retreat to a more secure postion which will give them a massive bonus of 20% on their next action.

If a monster or NPC group fails it's rolls more than 2 times in a row than they retreat from the battle.  Or if they simply roll really badly or get hit really badly they will retreat / fall.

PCs can get hit like normal when dealing with monsters who attack as a group using their base stats.

So yeah just one roll per person / group of monsters and success is dictated by how well the PCs use their abilities, tactics and creativity.  All you gotta do is keep track of penalities and bonuses to the rolls being made.

It's a fun quick way to use a huge selection of miniatures but not be bogged down.

• Like 2

Life is so much better when there are easily accessible scarecrows, dragons and goblins that don't fight with fishing tackle.

fishing tackle?
Im guessing lead weights?

After the horrible fail that was mass combat in Pathfinder, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and see if I can use your rules instead.  Share?

+1

I've got to page two of this thread and feel just a little like its magic mushroom season and Mr.Shroomie has come to roost in my brain.

Embrace the psychedelic view...