Sign in to follow this  
Gor of the North

Orcs are unattractive!?

Wait, wasn't this thread elsewhere?

Anyway, yes, I agree. I appreciate the recent anime-influenced better-looking orcs.

• Like 1

The way I recall it, orcs and other fantasy races were not attractive to human and other fantasy PC races.  Orcs no doubt find each other plenty attractive in various ways, and may be attracted to non PC races. 

Attractiveness goes beyond physical appearance. There's also behavior and cultural beliefs.  You can like the way someone looks, but still be repelled by their beliefs or actions, and vice versa.  

Orcs are not just green humanoids. The way they are viewed in fantasy is due more to their actions and behaviors (raiding and burning the villages of other races) than purely looks.  Thus a single half-orc player character has stigma and stereotypes to overcome as part of his role to play.  Gamora might be attractive as a 'female orc' but she also had a reputation as a killer and the daughter of a killer to overcome on her way to becoming a hero. 

• Like 4

The way I recall it, orcs and other fantasy races were not attractive to human and other fantasy PC races.  Orcs no doubt find each other plenty attractive in various ways, and may be attracted to non PC races. 

Attractiveness goes beyond physical appearance. There's also behavior and cultural beliefs.  You can like the way someone looks, but still be repelled by their beliefs or actions, and vice versa.  

Orcs are not just green humanoids. The way they are viewed in fantasy is due more to their actions and behaviors (raiding and burning the villages of other races) than purely looks.  Thus a single half-orc player character has stigma and stereotypes to overcome as part of his role to play.  Gamora might be attractive as a 'female orc' but she also had a reputation as a killer and the daughter of a killer to overcome on her way to becoming a hero.

Brilliant.

I am actually the spirit of a half-orc warrior who was brutally murdered by a group of racist humans for no reason. You have freed my soul from my earthen prison now by finally understanding me.

Thank you.

<<<MOD>>>

The previous thread was removed for review due to the turn the conversation had taken.

Please refrain from starting a duplicate thread about the same subject.

Thread locked.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aku-chan
      Hello there!
      Now it's no secret that I'm a fan of Games Workshop minis, there's two problems with this though, I can't paint armies (I've tried, I lose interest after the first few minis) so I miss out on the interesting units, and just buying heroes gets rather expensive!

Then I discovered their Underworlds game, getting little bite-sized versions of the various factions (often with fancy bases!), and now I'm obsessed.

This year I want to try and put a dent in this particular pile of plastic (or, at least cancel out the new ones I'm getting), and thought a project thread might help.
      I've made a spreadsheet, ran a number generator and picked the first ten candidates.

Laserian - An evil Knight and Balmonoth - Insidous Rat-man.

The Champion - Wandering Undead Warrior (He's not actually an Underworlds mini, he's one of only two Games Workshop resin minis I brought that were cast well enough to keep, but he fits in the skeleton faction.) and One-Eyed Thabron - Orc Mercenary.

Awil-sin - Fey Elf and Jafari - Cultist.

Yrkill - Sky Dwarf Adventurer and Fahime - Evil Elven Assassin.

Padean - Barbarian of the Western Plains and Elodie of the Blade - Elven Peacekeeper.

Started working on Elodie:-

Being an Elf I used Elf Fleshtone > Flesh Wash > Elf Fleshtone > Elf Fleshtone/Light Flesh, added a drop of Scarlett Red to the highlight mix for her lips, and gave her a pretty decent (IMO) pair of eyes.
      Next is her wacky hair.
    • By ironman1231
      Looks like Miniac will be doing something to promote this, which I think will likely take it to funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bamdungeondelvers/dungeon-delvers

I think the frogfolk are particularly fun, but they have a bunch of other stuff. Worth checking out, there's an early bird special for the STL files or the physical resin prints. Because they're doing it all in house, appears to have a pretty quick turnaround too. 

• By jadeite
      New project page (no prices yet), should go live at 5am PST:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bamdungeondelvers/dungeon-delvers-0
    • By ced1106
      I'm backing this because the kobolds look more like Scottish terriers! 

$100 level has 40+ miniatures and FREE USA shipping!

RBJ Game Company has created 18 KS projects, mostly miniatures. Let me know your experience with them if you backed before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620164718/yippers-and-squealers/description

• By nihilville
      I'm a little late in posting these, but this year I made a concentrated effort to try to paint orcs and only orcs for October, both to participate in the loose ceremony of "Orctober" and because I really need to finally paint some Orcs for the table. I started out trying some contrast paint for the first time and I didn't really like how the skin tone came out on the first model so I started experimenting. I tried many combinations of basecoat colors, thinning the contrast paint, inks, highlighting and glazing, and different washes. Not all of these even look that different, but I enjoy the subtle variations going on in the theory that, like humans, not all orcs are going to look exactly the same. It was fun experimenting, and I'm looking forward to painting the rest of the Orc crew next year.

Individual pics with the different skin tone recipes I tried below:

• Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)