Grenadier metal (1984) - Female in Plate - Box Set, Dragon Killers

Mostly to document my process, and get tips/advice/snerks along the way. I'm guessing it's a paladin of Ehlonna, as there is a rampant unicorn on the shield. This was a loose mini with no packaging.

Here are the pictures of the wash, I have the main body armor/helmet done but those pics are at home, I will upload them later.

Grenadier_84_wash_zpsb899e7bf.jpg

John

Edited by tkd.teacher
  • Like 16
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. Good detail on this one.

I feel like a pretty obvious choice of color would be golden, but maybe you could try something different? It's up to you.

Honestly I wouldn't experiment if this was mine. I would just go with a classic golden plate and red details or whatever colors you would use for the details.

But like I said. Looking good.

I feel like a pretty obvious choice of color would be golden, but maybe you could try something different? It's up to you.

Honestly I wouldn't experiment if this was mine. I would just go with a classic golden plate and red details or whatever colors you would use for the details.

I wanted to go a little less obvious. I mixed a blue with pearlescent white and a touch of black for all the basic body armor and the helmet. So far the helmet, body (back/front) and all the "under" armor pieces are done. Slopped a little over the braiding on the front plate (And a lot of the subtle bits, such as the dagger on the inner thigh and the birds on the boots), but I didn't figure that was too bad a sin as those will get painted over later in white.

John

Edited by tkd.teacher
  • Like 3

I wanted to go a little less obvious. I mixed a blue with pearlescent white and a touch of black for all the basic body armor and the helmet. So far the helmet, body (back/front) and all the "under" armor pieces are done. Slopped a little over the braiding on the front plate (And a lot of the subtle bits, such as the dagger on the inner thigh and the birds on the boots), but I didn't figure that was too bad a sin as those will get painted over later in white.

John

Sounds like it'll look good. Can't wait to see it.

Here's the photos of the base coat. It's a lot bluer than this, so obviously my lighting needs work (For example, the "grey" background is actually a white sheet of typing paper). The bare spots on the legs are where the raised birds and other embellishments are. If you have any tips/critiques, they are welcome.

Front:

Front%20-%20Base%20armor_zpsvng4flip.jpg

And the back:

Back%20-%20Base%20armor_zpsmhafjgyn.jpg

John

Edited by tkd.teacher
  • Like 9

Looks great so far!

Grenadier sometimes suffers a lackluster reputation with those who only remember their earlier (albeit still classic) less-refined offerings.

It's nice to see one of their later, more refined sculpts in action.

I agree.

• Like 1

I edited the title. Looked at the base, and it had A33 stamped on it, which on the Lost Mini's wiki page, it shows that as being part of the Dragon Killers box set (#2015), and I have that set in the collection. I must have opened it and seen the mini and pulled it out as nice and not remembered.

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:G-dlfbs-2015g.jpg

John

• Like 1

I have the shield done in black and the unicorn in silver. I picked up a box and am going to create the mini lightbox I found somewhere in the painting tips forum, once I get that done I will take pics and update. I also need to start a second thread, as my Reaper order came in (after 2 days only!!) and I glued/primed/washed the Kiramor lead figure.

John