Need Advice for Train-Like

Greetings all, here to beg some advice from fellow scratch-builders.

I recently implemented a vehicle system into my game relying on apx 1 inch game pieces (Z-scale in model trains) without really doing research. Now I'm trying to find tutorials for alchemy-punk looking trains, or any trains in that scale really, and I'm having the darndest time with it.

I've found several sites for larger trains, mostly working with cardstock or balsa. But our grid won't accommodate anything larger than 1 or 2 inches. I'm  totally willing to kit-bash it, but not at 20-30 bucks per locomotive like what's listed on amazon.

Any links, shops, or advice would be welcome. Just need some help getting started. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a site that specializes in paper models. Its a little hard to navigate and the search function is in the right hand column but you will have to scroll down to it (scroll slowly its easy to miss).

http://papermau.blogspot.com/

For paper models you don't worry about what scale the print out is for, just reduce it to the proper size. Z-Scale is 1/220.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 4

There is a company called Paper Terrain, that has a micro-scale railroad set that would probably be modified to suit your needs. I can't link to it since its a commercial site. Basically run the name together as a single word and add .com to the end and you should find it.

• Like 1

I have a 6 year old, so the firs thing that came to mind for me was way off the beaten path for minis, but I wonder how hard these would be to modify?  The brown cars in particular seem not too far off.  I know not all the pieces would be usable, but depending how many you need, this might work since it's pretty cheap relatively speaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Tank-Engine-Helicopter-Passenger/dp/B00EPRZPYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422303694&sr=1-1&keywords=tiny+thomas+train

• Like 1

Here is a site that specializes in paper models. Its a little hard to navigate and the search function is in the right hand column but you will have to scroll down to it (scroll slowly its easy to miss).

http://papermau.blogspot.com/

For paper models you don't worry about what scale the print out is for, just reduce it to the proper size. Z-Scale is 1/220.

Yah. After looking around I think I'll be working in paper a lot. rarer scale than I thought it would be.

I have a 6 year old, so the firs thing that came to mind for me was way off the beaten path for minis, but I wonder how hard these would be to modify?  The brown cars in particular seem not too far off.  I know not all the pieces would be usable, but depending how many you need, this might work since it's pretty cheap relatively speaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Tank-Engine-Helicopter-Passenger/dp/B00EPRZPYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422303694&sr=1-1&keywords=tiny+thomas+train

Very funny you mention this. Roommates came home. See me looking very serious at my drafting table, squinting through my magnifying lamp at some old thomas engine toys. Without missing a beat, one of them says:  "So, they're back to talking to you again?"

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

• Like 3

Oh, yea Z-Scale is far from common and its only produced in Germany and can be quite expensive. It was years before they even began to make American prototypes. N-Scale probably would have been a better choice, lots of used material is available for that.

I have no idea if this is in the right scale, but have you looked at Micro Machines?  I know they put out a few train sets.  None of them look particularly "alchemy-punk," but might serve as a testbed for kitbashes.  I see such things now and again on Ebay -- many times offered at ridiculous collector prices, but occasionally someone puts up a few at a cheap starting price.  

(I've sometimes resorted to grab-bags of Micro Machines to use as vehicles for "vehicular action" segments in RPG campaigns.  I switch scales of models/minis as necessary to fit the scale of the action -- e.g., 32mm scale minis for standard skirmishes in buildings and parking lots, but switching to tiny markers for the vehicles when it becomes a high-speed roadway chase, or switching out to toy aircraft in whatever scale is convenient to handle air battles and such.)

Otherwise, I wonder if there might be something in Dystopian Wars that could be pressed into service (but nothing in that line is particularly CHEAP).

Personally, I'd probably go with a combination of printed cardstock textures and miscellaneous miniature "bitz" cobbled together to make something tiny and steampunk-y.  When the figures are small enough, I sometimes find that cardstock is just as good as (and far more printable than) plasticard when doing very fiddly little conversions.

• Like 1