Pathfinder Society at ReaperCon

Rapheal

What do people do who don't currently have a Pathfinder Society character?  Do you make one then?  Should we make them ahead of time?

Edited to say it looks like I already have a Society character.  Apparently I played once at GenCon 2009.  So being out of the loop for a LONG time, what would I need to have done / prepared to play this character that is registered if I sign up for a Reaper Con session?

Edited by Harrek

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you didn't have a character, you would normally have two options:

1. You can register for a Pathfinder Society ID if you don't already have one, and create a new character ahead of time.
  2. You can play a pregen, which the GMs running your scenarios will probably have handy--they are pregenerated characters that would let you join a game without having a character handy. Note that some scenarios--primarily the We Be Goblins! series--require that you play a pregen.

Since you did, you have a third option, which is to attempt to get what you need to play your character from 2009! Do you still have a Chronicle Sheet for that character somewhere? If you don't, you may want to contact your local regional coordinator(s) to see what you can do to get a copy of that sheet. Raphael may also be able to help, although I'm less sure about that.

Finding the character itself shouldn't be a big deal because you can rebuild 1st-level characters however you want (with some limitations, like you can't get the money back for items you've used up). 

The list of coordinators is here on the Paizo website. (mods: I think this is an okay link--apologies if it is not!)

(You had good timing--things shouldn't be too insanely crazy for you. You played at GenCon 2009, that is the first convention that Pathfinder Society was run with the new Pathfinder ruleset. Before that, it was run with D&D 3.5 rules, and you'd have to convert your character if you still had the sheet--I'm not sure what else might have changed, including chronicle sheets.)

• Like 1

Well each season there are minor & major changes. I haven't really looked at this year changes but I wanna say it was races. Some like Aasimar & tiefling were axed in place for the oriental races.

As far as pregens. Rapheal will have em if you need one & I'll have the basic four as well.

well, I just built a wizard in a skullcap with rams horns, So I should be set. Just need to get in a session or two. On that note, if I'm around and you need a hand with anything, let me know. I don't know anything about society play, but I am well versed in the Pathfinder system

• Like 3

Since you did, you have a third option, which is to attempt to get what you need to play your character from 2009! Do you still have a Chronicle Sheet for that character somewhere? If you don't, you may want to contact your local regional coordinator(s) to see what you can do to get a copy of that sheet. Raphael may also be able to help, although I'm less sure about that.

Finding the character itself shouldn't be a big deal because you can rebuild 1st-level characters however you want (with some limitations, like you can't get the money back for items you've used up). 

The list of coordinators is here on the Paizo website. (mods: I think this is an okay link--apologies if it is not!)

(You had good timing--things shouldn't be too insanely crazy for you. You played at GenCon 2009, that is the first convention that Pathfinder Society was run with the new Pathfinder ruleset. Before that, it was run with D&D 3.5 rules, and you'd have to convert your character if you still had the sheet--I'm not sure what else might have changed, including chronicle sheets.)

Well I can guarantee that I don't have anything from this Society session from 2009.  I emailed the area coordinator but no response yet.  So recreating the character would be no big deal if I could find the Chronicle Sheet.  Otherwise I'll just go ahead and create a new character and register it since I already have a Pathfinder Society ID.  Probably easier to do that.

One question I always wondered about, what sort of character should I make?  I realize make what you want to play is the obvious answer.  But in a Pathfinder campaign you balance the classes out.  But what happens if the people show for an event and they all have the same class?  How is balance of the party handled so that it has the skills sets it needs?

One question I always wondered about, what sort of character should I make?  I realize make what you want to play is the obvious answer.  But in a Pathfinder campaign you balance the classes out.  But what happens if the people show for an event and they all have the same class?  How is balance of the party handled so that it has the skills sets it needs?

It usually happens pretty organically. You get enough PFS players around a table and people ask what everyone else is playing. "You've got a wizard? I won't play my sorcerer then, but I have a barbarian I can use."

Many of the low-level scenarios are pretty easy so balance isn't critical.

It usually happens pretty organically. You get enough PFS players around a table and people ask what everyone else is playing. "You've got a wizard? I won't play my sorcerer then, but I have a barbarian I can use."

Many of the low-level scenarios are pretty easy so balance isn't critical.

Ok, then I'll make another character up to go with the one I had to be flexible.

I have no idea what this is all about, but I've recently purchased the Pathfinder Core Rulebook out of curiosity as I keep running across the Pathfinder characters on the Reaper site (and purchasing a few) It's been years since I've done any role playing... So what's the sitch?

I have no idea what this is all about, but I've recently purchased the Pathfinder Core Rulebook out of curiosity as I keep running across the Pathfinder characters on the Reaper site (and purchasing a few) It's been years since I've done any role playing... So what's the sitch?

Did you want to know about Pathfinder RPG in general or Pathfinder Society at RC? 

Edited by MarkA

Pathfinder is a fantasy role-playing game based on the Open Gaming License that covered the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 rules. It's very much like D&D prior to 4th edition. If you're familiar with Dungeons & Dragons, you're familiar with the general concept here.

Pathfinder Society is a system of organized play for Pathfinder created by its publisher, Paizo Publishing. There are some rules restrictions and special rules. PFS lets you create a character and be able to use it at any PFS table in a PFS scenario. There is a good guide to getting starting in PFS at the Paizo website.

• Like 2

Well each season there are minor & major changes. I haven't really looked at this year changes but I wanna say it was races. Some like Aasimar & tiefling were axed in place for the oriental races.

As far as pregens. Rapheal will have em if you need one & I'll have the basic four as well.

There have been quite a few changes since last year.

Tiefling and Aasimar ar out. Nagaji, Wayang and Kitsune are all legal options without a special chronicle.

Several Pathfinder factions have been eliminated, combined or renamed. (You get a free faction change to switch to a new one.)

Most of this stuff will be fairly minor for a new player. You don't need to worry too much early on.

There is also, now, the new "Core" campaign fore characters that are built with only the core rulebook. (I have no idea whether Raphael plans to run any core-only tables.)

Anybody who wants to build a character ahead of time can download the "Guide to Organized" play from Paizo's web site to find out how to build a new character. A few rules are different in PFS vs. a standard home game. (Some options are not allowed, especially crafting.) You can also, optionally, register for your very own PFS number and log your character online.

As somebody mentioned earlier, you can also skip all that, and just show up to play a pre-generated character. :upside:

• Like 1