Vampire Box Blues

Egg of Coot

It does make me wonder what percentage of miniatures actually get painted, on a global average.  5-10% is probably optimistic...  ::P:

That is a good question. I see lots of unpainted/half painted lots of minis on ebay or in second hand stores all the time, and I wonder if they were sold by people who just never got around to them or if they decided the hobby wasn't for them or what.

I'll bet you are correct that collecting the minis far outpaces the painting of them.

• Like 2

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you guys have identified the reason behind the melt table at Reaper Con.  :lol:  Sometimes I buy a mini thinking that it's cool and it will totally get painted, but several years go buy and I fall out of love with it and realize it never will see paint at all. 

Of course the vast bulk of my miniatures is Bones, so I'm stuck with my white plastic army for a long time!

• Like 6

It does make me wonder what percentage of miniatures actually get painted, on a global average.  5-10% is probably optimistic...  ::P:

That is a good question. I see lots of unpainted/half painted lots of minis on ebay or in second hand stores all the time, and I wonder if they were sold by people who just never got around to them or if they decided the hobby wasn't for them or what.

I'll bet you are correct that collecting the minis far outpaces the painting of them.

*Get sudden jealous feelings*

Edited by Dibbler

I've got 75.5% completion of the things I intend to one day paint from Bones I (61 minis left that I would ever consider painting), but I kind of hit a wall. I started buying Kings of War stuff and have mostly been doing that with just the occasional Bones mini in there. I made a quick spread sheet to figure out my output, I'm close to a mini per day over the last year, and between current shelf of shame and the Kickstarters I have coming in, I expect to be busy painting for at least 3 years based on my current production rate.

Of course, I'm pulling that mini per day rate up dramatically with army painting techniques, but then when Bones II hits I know I have a bunch of models that will be painted at a slower rate, so who knows how accurate those numbers are.

A mini a day is astounding! Especially, pre-army speed paint!

However, I wonder if you've factored in the thousands more minis you'll aquire in that three years... (Oh, yes, you will!) :devil:

I'm of the camp that I never thought I would finish before Bones II came out. Granted I thought I would have been further along. Oh, well this is mostly just a hobby I do to wind down and zen out most of the time.

Though I haven't updated my '2015 goals' yet, I think that zen thing is my biggest goal this year. Just finding that 'flow' again whenever I have free time and enjoying the process of painting again, something I lost many (MANY) years ago..!

I guess that I'm so new to the hobby still (a bit over 2 years), that the 4000+ mark is huge to me, but I can see how we can easily get that many figures, especially with how prevalent kickstarters are nowadays.

Much like Egg of Coot, I've been buying minis for a loooong time. I think 30 years sounds about right for me, too. Aside from Bones 1&2, I haven't gotten any minis from a kickstarter. I did it the old fashioned way; one boxed set/or blister at a time.

You kids git offa my lawn!!!

It's closer to about 35 years for me. However, in my decades-long attempt at 'organization', or at least 'storage', I'm actually frightened at the idea of actually getting everything together in one place, let alone counting it...

Yeah, I'm about 40% through my Bones I minis, which, in all honesty is further than I thought I'd be at this point!

There have been a couple of times I've felt overwhelmed by it all, but I've actually broken it down and made a spreadsheet tracking my progress (link in signature below). Being able to check off a minis as I complete it is a nice feeling. Also, not stressing about how any individual mini looks helps a lot too. It's ok that it's only tabletop quality. Also, making sure that I pick up a paintbrush at least once a week helps too. Constant progress. Forward motion, even if it's in babysteps.

Ha, holy carp! That's almost the exact same spreadsheet layout I have. Check it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUKOZ95CvYMdGlQN21Wa1h6VzRra0VBOGN6TzZSdEE&usp=sharing

This is pretty much all my painting for the past year.

Spreadsheet?! Hells no! If I had it layed out in black and white like that, I'd have to eat my gun! But since I still have so much unpainted metal, resin and plastic, I'd have to spend eternity painting with half a head! ;p
  • Like 3

I'm of the camp that I never thought I would finish before Bones II came out. Granted I thought I would have been further along. Oh, well this is mostly just a hobby I do to wind down and zen out most of the time.

Though I haven't updated my '2015 goals' yet, I think that zen thing is my biggest goal this year. Just finding that 'flow' again whenever I have free time and enjoying the process of painting again, something I lost many (MANY) years ago..!

That might be a good idea for you, Baphomet.  This will be the first year I've set an "official" goal, though I had a general goal for painting Bones in 2014 (a goal which started at 75 figures and had to get bumped up a few times!).  However, if you've been goal-setting and feel you might be nearing possible burn-out, I'd definitely recommend easing off and painting the things that grab your attention.

Personally, the Monday Miniatures challenge at Caffeineforge.com has been great as a sort of "random draw" of what figures I need to paint next.  There have definitely been some figures we've painted that would have been much further down on my queue if they hadn't come up in the rotation.  It also gives me an extra push to set aside time on the weekend to at least paint that week's figure.  At the same time, I've had to skip a few weeks due to Real Life but I don't feel bad when I have to do so.

One of the things I liked about the Vampire set from Bones I is the sheer variety of figures.  I can go from painting PC adventurers one week to monsters the next, then sci-fi, then NPCs, and that helps me from getting burned out by slogging through all of the same type one after another.

• Like 7

Painting Kobold #48, on the other hand, was mind numbingly tedious.     

You got 48 kobolds in your KS1? :rock: Jeezy creezy, I'd go nuts with all those trap laying buggers running around my house too! Those guys will kill you in your sleep! :huh:  We lost a kobold trapmaster at our buddy's house and he's still having things go missing mysteriously. True story. :mellow:

Anyway, I only paint what I feel like, when I feel like painting it. So, I've painted like, 7 things from my Vampire box :lol: Totally not in a rush here.

Though, Hubby will very much want me to paint Kanjira and DDS2 when we get those :wacko:

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm about 40% through my Bones I minis, which, in all honesty is further than I thought I'd be at this point!

There have been a couple of times I've felt overwhelmed by it all, but I've actually broken it down and made a spreadsheet tracking my progress (link in signature below). Being able to check off a minis as I complete it is a nice feeling. Also, not stressing about how any individual mini looks helps a lot too. It's ok that it's only tabletop quality. Also, making sure that I pick up a paintbrush at least once a week helps too. Constant progress. Forward motion, even if it's in babysteps. 

Ha, holy carp! That's almost the exact same spreadsheet layout I have. Check it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUKOZ95CvYMdGlQN21Wa1h6VzRra0VBOGN6TzZSdEE&usp=sharing

This is pretty much all my painting for the past year.

To continue with the organisational theme:  I was a game store hero during my visit to L.A.  The staff in one place couldn't understand why I kept checking their Dark Heaven miniature shelves and then glancing at my tablet - and finally the owner came over to ask me if I needed help finding something.  I explained that I was consulting a list of the miniatures that I already owned and was simply looking for the stock numbers I needed to fill holes in my collection.  Wanna get stared at/pointed at in a game store?  Have someone yell out "Hey Tony, this guy's got a list of Reaper minis he owns that's 30 pages long!"  That's right.  Bow before me nerds, for I am your king . . .

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 21

When you have so many its easy to say - "well that didn't work. The next one will be better." 

Absolutely, that. I actually bought the Bones stuff with no intention at all of painting it -- I figured that even unpainted minis would be cooler than dice or pennies or whatever for a D&D game.  But once it arrived, I decided to give the painting a try, and found that I actually liked it.

And so since I'm very much learning what I'm doing, I know that I'm not going to paint these things to their full potential, and it seems like a shame to "waste" a great sculpt on what will probably turn out to be a less-than-awesome painting job. And if I only had ten minis sitting around, I'd probably be too intimidated to do anything with them at all. But since I have effectively infinity minis, I don't need to worry about it. If I do a bad job on this one, well, whatever, I still have infinity other minis that I can try better with next time.

And so the result is that I move on, and with each mini that I paint, I get to see more of what works and what doesn't work, and try out new things and new color combinations, and learn so the next one is better. So no, I'm not done with my Vampires yet, not even close. But I don't want to be; the Pile of Infinite Minis is pretty essential to letting me paint without worrying about making mistakes.

For illustration, here are the first two Vampires I painted:

8681764067_9a1810c326_n.jpg8682876850_148e7d7b92_n.jpg

And the most recent two Vampires I painted:

16172005579_c7934a9e70_n.jpg16179383218_d084851793_n.jpg

So those first two look really bad in the context of what I can do now; and hopefully those last two will look bad compared to what I can do next year. But I don't have to feel bad about that, because I still have more minis than I can possibly ever paint sitting around, so hey.

• Like 19

When you have so many its easy to say - "well that didn't work. The next one will be better."

Absolutely, that. I actually bought the Bones stuff with no intention at all of painting it -- I figured that even unpainted minis would be cooler than dice or pennies or whatever for a D&D game.  But once it arrived, I decided to give the painting a try, and found that I actually liked it.

And so since I'm very much learning what I'm doing, I know that I'm not going to paint these things to their full potential, and it seems like a shame to "waste" a great sculpt on what will probably turn out to be a less-than-awesome painting job. And if I only had ten minis sitting around, I'd probably be too intimidated to do anything with them at all. But since I have effectively infinity minis, I don't need to worry about it. If I do a bad job on this one, well, whatever, I still have infinity other minis that I can try better with next time.

And so the result is that I move on, and with each mini that I paint, I get to see more of what works and what doesn't work, and try out new things and new color combinations, and learn so the next one is better. So no, I'm not done with my Vampires yet, not even close. But I don't want to be; the Pile of Infinite Minis is pretty essential to letting me paint without worrying about making mistakes.

For illustration, here are the first two Vampires I painted:

8681764067_9a1810c326_n.jpg8682876850_148e7d7b92_n.jpg

And the most recent two Vampires I painted:

16172005579_c7934a9e70_n.jpg16179383218_d084851793_n.jpg

So those first two look really bad in the context of what I can do now; and hopefully those last two will look bad compared to what I can do next year. But I don't have to feel bad about that, because I still have more minis than I can possibly ever paint sitting around, so hey.

Those first two, for a first two, aren't bad at all, for all that you can see improvement in the later ones.

I like your painting philosophy. It's relaxing.

• Like 12

I'd be truly afraid if I catalogued everything.  Sometimes it's just best to be ignorant, and occasionally buy a duplicate.  Because hey, if it was awesome once, it will probably be awesome the next time too.

Finding out I've just bought a mini that I forgot I already had is basically a free license to do something creative with the second one...

On the other hand, there are also some minis that I buy anytime I happen to see them no matter how many I have, like the Angel of Light or the familiars and weapons packs, just because I've painted them several times before and regularly give them away to friends as presents (esp. the Angel).

• Like 10

I'd be truly afraid if I catalogued everything.  Sometimes it's just best to be ignorant, and occasionally buy a duplicate.  Because hey, if it was awesome once, it will probably be awesome the next time too.

Finding out I've just bought a mini that I forgot I already had is basically a free license to do something creative with the second one...

On the other hand, there are also some minis that I buy anytime I happen to see them no matter how many I have, like the Angel of Light or the familiars and weapons packs, just because I've painted them several times before and regularly give them away to friends as presents (esp. the Angel).

As i was moving a few years ago I was astonished at the number of duplicate Reaper minis I have. With the Vampire pledge i now have duplicates of different material. Cool! :;):

• Like 5

Nice work! I have the same philospohy on th ebones... each one is a learning lession. I also like to revisit the  same minis to see how far my skil has (or hasn't) progressed.

AJ

• Like 2