Airbrush Newb. Help!

Baphomet69

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eyeing the sotar too, but I'm going to go with the krome since I have the two needles. I've been using my sister's Iwata Revolution and it has a .5mm which was great for learning but is a nightmare now for fine detail, even trying to do general highlights is a chore. The Krome seems like a good option since you get the .3 and .2 kits. 

• Like 1

After doing more research, you can get 'needle kits' (needle, nozzle and regulator) for the Sotar in medium (.45mm needle) and heavy (.7mm needle). Dickblick has the kits for $56, or you can get the three parts separately from Amazon for about the same.

I'll likely get the medium kit.

And after watching a bunch of YouTube and reading sites, I'm about to buy a TCPGlobal Master 20T compressor ($100 give or take). It says the hose have a 1/8 fitting, I hope it's compatible with the 1/8 fitting on the Sotar.

Yeah, I'm just starting out, but you have to start somewhere and I've already learned loads (of the technical side of things) in the last couple days.

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 2

That should be a good compressor to start out with. I have the equivalent Paasche brand compressor, the D3000R. Quiet enough to run at night in the condo without bothering anyone, and it doesn't need to run non-stop.

I mainly use an Iwata HP-CS with the medium .35mm needle kit. It does what I need. I'm not using it for any fine detail work though.

For the $10 or so that a quick-connect costs, I am really happy with mine. It makes it a breeze for cleaning. With a tank on my compressor, I'd have to purge the tank just to remove the airbrush. The quick connect just lets it pop right off.

• Like 2

That should be a good compressor to start out with. I have the equivalent Paasche brand compressor, the D3000R. Quiet enough to run at night in the condo without bothering anyone, and it doesn't need to run non-stop.

I mainly use an Iwata HP-CS with the medium .35mm needle kit. It does what I need. I'm not using it for any fine detail work though.

For the $10 or so that a quick-connect costs, I am really happy with mine. It makes it a breeze for cleaning. With a tank on my compressor, I'd have to purge the tank just to remove the airbrush. The quick connect just lets it pop right off.

That's what I thought. Quick disconnect it is! Thanks!
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Elder said:

Has anybody ever used Flood Floetrol 1 qt. Clear Latex Paint Additive FLD6-04 - The Home Depot to thin paints for their Air Brush?  Or have they used it to make washes?    Ten bucks for a quart would go a long way in the painting world. 

It says latex on the bottle. Unless you are painting minis with latex it isn't what you want. Airbrush thinner for acrylics can be purchased in large bottles for not that much more from amazon or art supply stores.

• Like 1