TheBeardedEagle

First time painting a miniature, Karahl Farstep, Wizard

Excellent entry into the mini painting hobby!!

Keep it up!!

Killer first piece.  My first one looked like I painted it with a crayon.  Excellent base work, looks really natural.  Just a suggestion for life of the mini, toss on one more coat of varnish on all the big angles and edges to help keep them protected from handling, especially if you use him, which it sounds like you will be.  Just keep painting a fig when you need and you'll have a closet full before you know it.  On another note, there are a lot of techniques in this field using inks and oils as well.  Just look around craft corner and you'll find what you need.

It really is an outstanding first miniature.

I'm sort of curious. What di you mean by "oil wash" technique? Are you using mixed media?

(I have a pretty extensive art background and am always interested in that sort of stuff.)

Once I had my miniature painted to where I felt satisfied, I went through with a wash of Winsor & Newton Ivory Black oil paint. I mixed it down heavily with odorless mineral spirits and washed it over the whole miniature. I saw a guy do it in a tutorial video on youtube and liked the way it worked so I figured i'd try it out. You can also pull off some of the oil paint if its to heavy in some spots by just using a q-tip and mineral spirits.

I do have to state that before using the wash I sprayed a gloss varnish over the mini to "create a smooth surface for the wash to run over". <-- paraphrasing the youtube video

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      Bones 4 core set #20.  Could not find a release # for him yet.  I took this guy and a few of his pals to Reapercon to work on in my spare time (ha!) and got him base coated using some of the new Pathfnder paint set.  I couldn't help but notice the chickens and the look of terror on his face, thus the name.   Finished him with a basic drybrush and wash for table top play. 

• By SGHawkins09
      This chaos toad was another one of my ReaperCon entries, this time in the Painter's category. As I had multiple entries in the category, only one was judged and this was not the one chosen. Even though it was not the one judged, it is one of my favorites that I have painted recently. It is a fantastic sculpt by @TaleSpinner with fun details like the shrunken head and turtle shell canteen. 

• By SGHawkins09
      This was one of my diorama entries for ReaperCon featuring miniatures from Dark Sword Miniatures. I had diorama ideas centered around the female figure occupying my mind for a while before I settled on this one. I tried a few other figures with her but nothing fit until I got the male figure and then added the wolf. I am very happy with how it came together and was very pleased that it received a Gold medal in the Diorama Category. I also was honored to receive second place diorama from Dark Sword.

• By Sanael
      For use in a D&D 5E game I'm playing in, this is my lizardfolk ranger, Suresh. 

I really love Gene's lizardfolk sculpts, and I like that they're in Bones, because that makes them cheap enough to be plentiful and very easy to customize. Obviously modified from the original "spearman:" removed spear, repositioned arms, added axe and shield, added lizard crest.

The shield and mud were both made with Happy Seppuku (R.I.P.) stamps; the plants, crest and shield straps were handmade from greenstuff; the axe is from a Kingdom Death: Monster phoenix weapon sprue.
    • By Metalchaos
      Good Friday everyone. Here is 03492, Autumn Bronzeleaf Elf Wizard Sculpted by Jeff Grace. She's certainly one of the most challenging model I ever paint. The level of detail on this mini is just insane. Enjoy and have a great weekend.

• Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 299 Guests (See full list)