TheBeardedEagle

First time painting a miniature, Karahl Farstep, Wizard

Excellent first Miniature !!!!!!!

Most of us should have been so lucky to have something come out that good on our 15th miniature.ROFL.

Great Job...

Don't stop, look around at what folks are doing in the WIP'S, and check out the Show Off's... full of ideas !

• Like 5

First off, welcome to the addiction errr hobby and the forum!

Secondly, great job on your first miniature! Keep practicing and asking for any specific advice that you'd like, this is a very friendly and informed community always willing to lend a hand.

• Like 2

Really nice for a first time mini.  I really like your basing.  It looks like you have a good bit of the basics covered here so I think the direction you should head is to add more contrast. Which is practically a joke it is such a tired criticism.  What I mean by it is that you should try to creat a natural arrangement of highlights and shadows.  Darker than what you have for the shadows and lighter than what you have for the highlights.  This will create a nice illusion. 

• Like 5

A really good exercise is to view pictures of your painted work in Black and White.  Because some of your surfaces are quite reflective its difficult to see exactly what is light and what is paint  but this will give you a good idea.

post-12951-0-44630700-1422564808_thumb.jpg

Do you see how everything is sort of a relatively uniform grey?  it is because the variation in value is pretty flat.  Compare this to this piece painted by Derek Schubert:

post-12951-0-58165700-1422565032.jpg

Notice how much more range he gets in each color and across the miniature.  Its not really fair to stack you up against a master on your first miniature but it is instructive for you to see what I mean and the direction you should be going.

• Like 15

it's not really fair to stack anyone against DKS , first mini or hundredth, But that does give a pretty fair look at the difference in highlights and shadows 

• Like 10

To the OP, wow, amazing first go! Brush control is in the bag. Great start on highlight/shading, but, like pretty much all of us starting out (and many of us still), you need to push the highlights and shading. Push them past what you think is extreme, especially for photographing minis. You can get away with a little less if you're just going for 'in-person' or table-top quality, but why stop there? Especially when you appear to be a natural!

it's not really fair to stack anyone against DKS , first mini or hundredth, But that does give a pretty fair look at the difference in highlights and shadows

Oh, I don't know...I might do it to Cash... :devil:
  • Like 8

Great first miniature. You certainly have plenty of improvement to make but I would try to avoid comparing your work to studio painted stuff. That path leads to a lot of self doubt. Just pick another miniature and try again, maybe try some different kinds of techniques. Honestly feel free to experiment. Try some different sized models and different textures (like fur, metal, skin, etc.) If you have access to any Bones models, those are great for experimentation since they're cheap but detailed (though they have their own quirks.) 

Really that's an impressive first model though, it''ll look great among any other "tabletop quality" miniature. 

• Like 4

Excellent first mini you should be every proud and don't fear that's a neat trick to see things in perspective ;)

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who has commented and to all you guys who have left me feedback and suggestions. The idea of looking at things in black and gray is a super solid idea and I will probably be doing that from now on. I still have two more miniatures to paint for this game of Pathfinder, but I do not see this hobby stopping for me.

I will say I do have a bit of an art background, I attended art school and currently work as a professional tattoo artist. I'm more used to painting in oils and water colors though so some of these acrylic techniques are new to me.

But again sincerely, thank you to all of you, I'll post my next mini soon.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12