Foxfire

Pathfinder Red Dragon (Red?)

So I couldn't decide what iconic to do next after Damiel. I tend not to be too interested in baseline wizards and fighters.

Figured I'd do a dragon instead. Asked some friends and did some googling and found this purple lava dragon.

Figured I'd see what I can do in regards to it. At the moment just a basecoat (plus a little ruby eye) so it's quite pastelly. It should hopefully darken right up once i get into it.

Pastelly_zps7jrpfz07.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks.

So here's some more pictures in between watching Orphan Black - man Tatiana Maslany is amazing.

Anyways here some more wingage on bodage. I plan to darken the body to a midnight blue and go full deep colour on it. I'd also like to try a lava belly. But I just do not understand lighting/glowy effects at all. It's like something in my mind just fails to grasp the concept. So any feedback on progressing would be welcome in that regard. 

post-7828-0-34120100-1422719241.jpgpost-7828-0-86405600-1422719242.jpg

I've done some more on the body and got it slightly better. but it's still not even close to right.

Should I shade from white > yellow > orange > red and then a hint of black?

or do I want minimal white/yellow/orange/red and then lots of black? 

or something completely different?

post-7828-0-77519700-1422719239.jpg

• Like 7

Those tutorials definitely helped. I feel like I'm still missing the crucial element of understanding how to make the 'illusion' of lava. So I'd still welcome any follow up feedback. It definitely doesn't look anything like Wappel's ;p.

I'm going to finish at least base coating the rest of it before I come back to his belly. Maybe I'm getting thrown off by all the white.

post-7828-0-59915500-1422759351.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 3

I love the colors.

It is common artist technique (for minis or canvas) to get some sort of basecoat (even if it is just using a neutral gray primer) to prevent white from throwing off your color perception. Finishing the basecoat would help as the white really stands out. It distracts me in any case.  :ph34r:

I poked my husband to give you some advice with the lava. He has a better eye than me and did a (still hot) lava effect on this same miniature.

• Like 1

Strangely, FireElemental sent me here to offer some advice on painting fire. What happened to "paint what you know"?

My first thought is "Ugh!" The PF Red Dragon is a fun one to paint up as lava, but the belly scales you're working on were the worst part of it for me. They're flat and don't have a ton of texture. IMO, you've started off with hard mode!

I'm no paintmeister, but my three thoughts:

• Lava tends to be irregular, yours is very regular-looking. Try varying things up instead of having a consistent gradient across the entire surface of every scale?
  • There's a lot more dark in most lava than light spots, like in the top half of this image. Perhaps try shifting the end point of the gradient up on each scale so that you hit the dark earlier? Going with the calculation that "parts close to a seam are molten, and parts that don't move are cool and dark," similar to that Wappel post linked to from above. Those scales you're painting are awfully flat and exposed. They're probably closer to the "cold and immobile" end of the spectrum.
  • It looks like you've got a fair amount of light coloration on the borders between the lava effect and the more conventional purple scales. Maybe if you make that a smoother transition, the lava effect won't look quite so isolated from the rest of it?

You've gotten a lot right so far, though, and I think it looks better than you're giving yourself credit for. Don't get discouraged!

• Like 3

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I decided to go off and attack his frill (along with some basecoat. Flat scales are definitely hard mode on a lava effect. The frill (while nowhere near close to perfect) was sooooo much easier than his belly. It's probably still way too bright for lava. But I think I've done a much better job on it. Just looking at the picture after your comments. I can definitely see that I can drag the dark colours on his frill way deeper and down closer to his body.

I think I can go back and attack his belly again with a better eye for it. My problem was that I was trying to shade it, rather than center the dark cooler areas. I like your idea about cracks and what not as well, so I'll try to do that. But the belly can wait till I get some other things done on him I think, there's much easier parts of him I can do first.

post-7828-0-09174200-1422765270.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 3

I threw up a Show Off post with my speedpainted melty version, to give you some idea of what I was thinking and where I ignored my own advice (!). Wappel is almost certainly a better person to learn from than I am, of course! I fully expect (and encourage!) you to blow me out of the water with your version. I'm really liking your take on the frill. It's looking great so far.

• Like 2

Haha, if mine looks better it's only because I'll have sunk a stupid amount more time into it. Definitely more than three hours :D

Ah, the more I look at the frill the more I realise I need to go back and adjust on it. Happy for a first effort, but it needs a lot more work.

I did however finish the other side of his under wing. Pretty happy with the over all result. (needs belly work though ;p

post-7828-0-04524900-1422781923.jpg

• Like 4

And last update for a bit. I've redone the belly again. Decided against lava due to it not working too well without going all the way lava crazy and I really like how the wings are at the moment, so I decided to go full purple with the yellow to orange motif.

Sorry about the blurry pic - I tried a couple of times and just gave up for tonight.

post-7828-0-36915000-1422791459.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 6

Well, my partially successful but by no means Wappellesque approach to lava. Hmmm. I kinda just fiddle with it til it looks right. I would say your edges need to have some wobble, like, the red band needs to have the yellow intrude a little, not a clean edge. Heat is super dynamic so you don't actually want a smooth consistent transition.

A bad orange will kill the effect, you want a really eyeball-popping orange IMO, not too much white, and I recently found that blending the red into the orange actually killed both. Again, part of the yellow has to be FREAKIN YELLOW ARGH! I think maybe you're giving your yellow and white too much space. The flame should read orange (or red), with yellow as a highlight and white only as a really tight highlight, you want it to be the bit that's so bright you can't look at it.

So if you try it again, I'd give dull red a bigger slice, orange a bigger slice, black a smaller slice, yellow a smaller slice, and white only a tiny slice.

• Like 1