Can you suggest a good mini for a n00b painter?

Hello.  I'm new to painting and have no artistic background.  I've been watching videos and reading tips and tricks.  I'm ready to embark on my first painting expedition! 

Some minis look far more intricate than others.  Can you suggest a few specific models that might be "easier" for a beginner to paint?

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good beginner minis are in one piece and wide open stances with few accessories.     I like the Townsfolk minis in the Dark Heaven Legends line.  For example, the Bandits are a good set for beginner

Even if you are, post pics. We love seeing new painters' first pieces (especially when they eventually get really, really good)!

I'd look into the new Bones Learn To Paint Kit.  Comes with three great figures, directions, paint, and brushes.  A great starter kit.

Bones orcs are fairly easy to paint to a table top standard.  One of them is included in the Bones learn to paint kit which I recommend for first time painters. It has three Bones minis along with paint, brushes and instructions all in a nice plastic case..

Edited by ferret
  • Like 6

Good beginner minis are in one piece and wide open stances with few accessories.  

I like the Townsfolk minis in the Dark Heaven Legends line.  For example, the Bandits are a good set for beginners.  I use the guy with the club in my Step by Step Beginning Painting class at GenCon.

02677_w_1.jpg

Skeletons, zombies, goblins, kobolds, and orcs can also be good beginner minis.  Again, look for wide open stances and few accessories/details.

Ron

• Like 10

I would recommend any of the Bones vermin (rats, spiders, scorpions, beetles, etc.) if you're new-new to painting.  It's largely one surface (e.g., chitinous shell or fur) so you don't have to worry about a dozen different colors for different clothes or equipment.  Plus, they're small and easy to finish (so you aren't as likely to get "stuck" trying to figure out what to do next).

• Like 2

welcome!  Stay away from anything sculpted by Klocke. (not because we don't respect his awesome work, but because his figures are very hard to paint.)

The bones giant worm is a great figure to start with- its cheap and all one piece.  It's also been painted a whole bunch, so you'd have plenty of examples to check out!

If you're ever in a bind and can't figure out what a detail is, check out the inspiration galley.  Folks will often post their completed figures there. There's a function over to the right where you can search for a specific mini by name or number and see examples.  I do this when I can't figure out where I want to put my highlights, etc.

• Like 5

What types of things are you interested in painting? It is much more fun to paint something you are interested in. And also easier to keep going.

77162: Yephima, Female Cloud Giant is rather fun. She is pretty simple, but also easy to work in more advanced techniques if you want to give them a go.

77156: Owlbear is simple and would make a good first monster. His eyes are huge compared to most other minis. His design is pretty simple.

My first miniature was 50007: Veronica Blaze, Agent of G.U.A.R.D. She's not too complex.

Personally, I like the Bones skeletons for beginners. They're basically pretty simple, but there's  a lot you can try on those figs without wworrying too much iff they'll be wasted. They're undead, after all... so what if one of them looks like it was chewed on by a purple worm?

• Like 4

Seconding the LTPK. Which, you'll note, comes with a skeleton and an orc, which various people here have recommended.

The skeleton is a really quick and easy mini to paint, because there's not a lot to it, so it'll get you used to putting down paint and doing a wash. The orc has more detail, and also some fur and chainmail, so it'll build on the skeleton with drybrush techniques and more detailwork (including eyes, yay). 

• Like 1

I can't believe it was twelve posts before someone mentioned the Learn To Paint Kit...the how-to booklet alone is worth the MSRP, plus you get minis and.brushes and paint. Really brilliant kit.

Once you've done the kit, pick up a mini you think looks fun to paint. After the kit, you'll have an idea what you're capable of, and maybe how you want to push yourself. Simple is still good at this point, but "interesting" is just as important. I'd say check out the Bones minotaur and werewolf, or maybe a flowy-robe wizard; these all have big open spaces that are easy to paint (and the minotaur looks totally BA when painted up).

Then, start buying minis you like, minis you think will be a challenge to you, minis that represent PCs in your D&D (or PF, or Shadowrun, or WHFRPG, or whatever), minis that your little sister would like to receive as a gift. Pretty soon, you'll have five painted minis, fifty unpainted minis, and five hundred unpurchased minis on various online wishlists. Welcome to the hobby!

• Like 7