Can you suggest a good mini for a n00b painter?

Welcome to the hobby!

Again, look for wide open stances and few accessories/details.

Ron

welcome!  Stay away from anything sculpted by Klocke. (not because we don't respect his awesome work, but because his figures are very hard to paint.)

I was about to say... Klockenbuckle. He's got all these danged buckles and things. But his figures usually have large eyes, which are nice. If you can find a simple Klocke, with nice eyes, his make good pieces to practice eyes on. As does the aforementioned Yephima.

But I go with what others have said already, grab a Bones LTPK, or one of the other ones too. They're great starter kits.  ^_^

• Like 3
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good beginner minis are in one piece and wide open stances with few accessories.     I like the Townsfolk minis in the Dark Heaven Legends line.  For example, the Bandits are a good set for beginner

Even if you are, post pics. We love seeing new painters' first pieces (especially when they eventually get really, really good)!

I'd look into the new Bones Learn To Paint Kit.  Comes with three great figures, directions, paint, and brushes.  A great starter kit.

Welcome to the hobby!

Again, look for wide open stances and few accessories/details.

Ron

welcome!  Stay away from anything sculpted by Klocke. (not because we don't respect his awesome work, but because his figures are very hard to paint.)

I was about to say... Klockenbuckle. He's got all these danged buckles and things. But his figures usually have large eyes, which are nice. If you can find a simple Klocke, with nice eyes, his make good pieces to practice eyes on. As does the aforementioned Yephima.

But I go with what others have said already, grab a Bones LTPK, or one of the other ones too. They're great starter kits.  ^_^

Actually, if your big criteria is "big eyes," look at any of Derek Schubert's sculpts. He was a painter before a sculptor, and he loves sculpting things he wants to paint. So that means big eyes, expressive faces and enough detail to be interesting but not too much to be cluttered (Klocke's greatest sin, I think, is that there's just too much going on with a lot of his sculpts). Some of my favorites:

Lem, halfling bard: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/schubert/sku-down/60011 

Elliwyn, Gnome paladin: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/schubert/sku-down/03441

Vaeloth, Hellborn paladin: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/schubert/sku-down/03419

Shaelin, human bard: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/shaelin/sku-down/03139#detail/03139_G

These links are for the metal versions, but all three are also in Bones. Lem and Elliwyn are both little folk, and the minis are tiny, but their eyes are open and easy to paint. Vaeloth is normal "human" sized. Shaelin was one of the most enjoyable minis I've ever painted; she's just a really great sculpt with loads of personality. Derek also has a giant, some dwarfs (his shieldmaidens are great) and a dragon (with a halfling rider).

• Like 4

I just placed my order, based on everyone's suggestions. 

Assuming I'm not completely embarrassed by my first painting attempt, I'll post pics. 

Even if you are, post pics. We love seeing new painters' first pieces (especially when they eventually get really, really good)!

• Like 9

Welcome! Glad you decided to join in on the hobby.

If you haven't noticed, we are a bunch of enthusiasts that will overload you with more info than you "need". Have fun, paint what you want, ask questions if your so inclined. Remember painting is a learned skill that takes time to develop, don't get discouraged if your first mini doesn't turn out like you picture it in your head. Post pictures and we will reward you with encouragement and pointers.

Again, welcome!

• Like 4

I can't believe it was twelve posts before someone mentioned the Learn To Paint Kit...the how-to booklet alone is worth the MSRP, plus you get minis and.brushes and paint. Really brilliant kit.

Look at post #2.  Ferret beat everyone to that recommendation.  All the LTPKs are useful in their own ways and have very good written instructions.  It was a sad day when Reaper retired the old ones.  I'm sure they will get improved versions in time, but it is still sad no one can get the old ones now, unless they stumble onto old stock.

• Like 3

I can't believe it was twelve posts before someone mentioned the Learn To Paint Kit...the how-to booklet alone is worth the MSRP, plus you get minis and.brushes and paint. Really brilliant kit.

Look at post #2. Ferret beat everyone to that recommendation. All the LTPKs are useful in their own ways and have very good written instructions. It was a sad day when Reaper retired the old ones. I'm sure they will get improved versions in time, but it is still sad no one can get the old ones now, unless they stumble onto old stock.

Hah. I stand corrected! I originally only saw "orcs" in Ferret's post. Clearly I should've read more closely.

But yes, the LTPKs, in all their forms, have been wonderful tools. If you can find the old booklets, they are verra'nice little treatises on the specific topics they cover.

• Like 2

Yeah I have not painted much since I got hooked back on minis from the Bones I KS.  My first was the old Learn To Paint Kit 1 (LTPK1) which was easier to find than LTPK2.  If you can find both of those grab em.  The new Bones Learn To Paint Kit is also awesome and it what I have been working on since May when I got mine at ReaperCon.  The skeleton I did quick but just now got back to painting and have been working on the orc.

My daughter just got 2 new Bones minis from my mom for her 5th birthday. The 77006: Great Worm and 77190: Nethyrmaul the Undying. We may start on those Sunday so hopefully I can work on my orc while she is busy with her first coat of whatever colors she chooses.

Welcome aboard and I am looking forward to seeing what you do and post in the Show Off forum.

• Like 2

I can't believe no one suggested our size reference mascot: Garrick the Bold, aka Sir Justin Forscale!

Metal; cloth; large surfaces; not too many fine details.

Seems perfect for a starter mini. Heck, he should the standard knight mini in the LTPK.

• Like 1