What will be your first painted Bones II mini?

Crowley

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Laoke, what did you do to that translucent? That looks excellent.

Simplest paint job in the world. Tamiya make a translucent range of acrylic paints, and I use them fairly extensively - the Tamiya Clear Green on the green translucent figures from the first Kickstarter for example.  That's just a single coat of Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 over the Ice Wall figure - no ink to define it, no washes, no highlights, just slop the paint on and walk away.

The Tamiya Clear paints are translucent, and a real pain to work with (for the love of Cthulhu, don't use your good brushes with these paints!), but against that they tend to add definition in crack points as the paint darkens up where it's deepest, such as along transition points on a figure.

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 3

Turned out to be the Ice Wall for me - as a test piece for the translucents.

Me too, except I did the shadow creatures. Was just going to deploy them as is but thought I'd quickly experiment first.

Tried applying a wash directly but it pooled in the wrong places.

Then applied an acrylic medium to get a clear base followed by an 'armour wash' (mostly black) to enhance the features.

The result is ok, not great. But it was quick, simple, and added some contrast.  Didn't photograph well.

• Like 1

Turned out to be the Ice Wall for me - as a test piece for the translucents.

Me too, except I did the shadow creatures. Was just going to deploy them as is but thought I'd quickly experiment first.

Tried applying a wash directly but it pooled in the wrong places.

Then applied an acrylic medium to get a clear base followed by an 'armour wash' (mostly black) to enhance the features.

The result is ok, not great. But it was quick, simple, and added some contrast.  Didn't photograph well.

I'd suggest using inks rather than washes on the translucent figures if you want to keep them translucent:  in my experience, washes turn the figure cloudy in patches which doesn't look good.  Inks tend to define nicely and add contrast without the same cloudiness.

• Like 4

So, between one of the kobold leaders, a dragon hatchling, and the shipping container, I painted one of the Evard's Black Tentacles and both of the Angels of Sorrow.

All I did on the tentacle is throw some Black Ink onto it in order to get some definition on it.

The angels were based in Rainy Grey, washed in Shadowed Stone, dry brushed in Rainy Grey, and lightly dry brushed with Pure White for highlights. They came out pretty nice.

Edited by Florin
  • Like 2

I recieved my KS2 a week ago & I still havent sorted through them let alone started painting.

As to what I think I will paint first I have no idea! I will be sorting them out into categories that I already have KS1 sorted into (Undead, Caster PC, NPC, Melee PC etc.) by the time I get to painting I probably will have forgotten which Kickstarter the model came from! Of the 249 minis I got in KS1 I have completed 69 so it is very slow going for me!

Honestly, the question surprised me a bit yesterday ... so my first answer was more or less just a "reflex". Yeah, Alistrelee would make a good NPC in my Pathfinder campaign ... but there are other considerations as well.

- I don't paint well, I'm scared of more difficult miniatures, I don't want to mess them up. So some easy minis to "warm up" would be nice.

- That rules out any bigger miniatures like a dragon. Not sure when I'll paint one of those at all ...

- Some of the spiders or insects might not be too difficult, but I'm not really motivated to paint them first

I guess I'll try some of the skeletons ... the ones without much armor. Just bones - oh, how fitting ;)

When looking at painting animals (or creatures close to animals that actually exist)I suspect doing a google (or other) image search for that animal. There are a lot of color patterns and colors and weird little things that can be fun to paint. The spiders also are good for practicing freehand. They are cheap and fairly flat. And you can find lots of spider patterns to play with. I think I have painted six of those spiders and the ones I attempted freehand on where the most fun even though my freehand currently sucks.

I do this! I had a lot of fun with the spiders doing free hand. You can see what I did here. I found it great a great experiment & since I wasnt really attached to the spiders I didnt care if it all fell apart.

I might go with Mashaaf.  Experiment a bit with my airbrush.

Honestly, the question surprised me a bit yesterday ... so my first answer was more or less just a "reflex". Yeah, Alistrelee would make a good NPC in my Pathfinder campaign ... but there are other considerations as well.

- I don't paint well, I'm scared of more difficult miniatures, I don't want to mess them up. So some easy minis to "warm up" would be nice.

- That rules out any bigger miniatures like a dragon. Not sure when I'll paint one of those at all ...

- Some of the spiders or insects might not be too difficult, but I'm not really motivated to paint them first

I guess I'll try some of the skeletons ... the ones without much armor. Just bones - oh, how fitting ;)

The bit minis are actually easier than the normal-sized ones.  There's more area, so a bit more work in getting coverage, but the details tend to be bigger too.

Eyes will be sooooo easy! :bday: Blending will take longer, though, and whooo, they're gonna take sooo much paint! :S

Huzzah!
--OneBoot :D

I so prefer big minis over little ones XD give me the DDS2 dragon any day over a normal figure

I am still a reasonably new painter. When I attempted my first Big ming (the hydra from KS1) I got overwhelmed. I never finished it & it is sitting aside waiting to be washed so I can start again. I find it interesting to read that people have an easier time with these big projects. But it could be all in my mind too - because this is something big & kinda special I really want to do well so it is possible I just psyched myself out of it.

Hope everyone has fun painting whatever minis they choose!

• Like 3