antivirus app on a phone after a virus??

haldir

This one is for my mom but she may have a virus on her phone that is preventing her from signing into anything Google right now. She doesn't have a AV installed (should have listen to me!!!) & I tried to get one on there but they all seem to point to the Play Store. Anyone know how you can do this without the play store?

Also she has a gmail account but for some reason none of the password recovery options are working. It's like she doesn't have an account. Anyone know what might be preventing this? On that note, anyone know what might be preventing her from signing in. Seems like the wrong password screen comes up all the time for her.

thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is for my mom but she may have a virus on her phone that is preventing her from signing into anything Google right now. She doesn't have a AV installed (should have listen to me!!!) & I tried to get one on there but they all seem to point to the Play Store. Anyone know how you can do this without the play store?

Also she has a gmail account but for some reason none of the password recovery options are working. It's like she doesn't have an account. Anyone know what might be preventing this? On that note, anyone know what might be preventing her from signing in. Seems like the wrong password screen comes up all the time for her.

thanks

I'd try signing in from a clean computer and seeing if it allows here to, otherwise it might be under the control of someone who changed all the passwords and recovery options somehow. 

• Like 1

Speaking of which, I got a random text message today that didn't make any sense in the preview and I deleted it without opening the damn thing.

You get this from here or just a general text?

She is getting a bit stress out over this + late last month she got a computer which is also stressing her out. I need to check things out for her. I'm more or a hands on, get it in front of me or I can't really explain it kinda of help person. Hoping I can get it fixed soon. Kinda hate being the tech/fix it help...:lol:

If it is malware on the phone causing the issues, it is like intercepting the password (that could be a fake login prompt, even).  I would strongly urge that you log in to that Google account from a known-good computer and reset the password.  Don't try to log in to the account on the phone, and don't enter the credentials again.  Also, if you have any accounts with the same credentials, go change those as well (even if they're unrelated).

As far as loading an AV outside of the Google Play store, I assume that would require sideloading (which is not something I'm too familiar with).  The best bet might be to remove any external storage (microSD card, etc.) and reset the phone to factory defaults, though I don't know if that is sufficient to wipe out malware.  Once it's reset, try to get on the Play store and download an AV program (I recommend Avast!, though any reputable one should be fine) and run a scan on the phone.

• Like 6

That was one along with Lookout (I use that one) when I told her at the beginning to put it on there. I also brought up the factory default. She has some family photos on there, but I'm sure they are on the card.

She was saying she never went through the entire process of setting up her gmail account so I'm thinkin she doesn't have one, but she had to have a email to get home internet. She said she went like 2 steps & that was it ????? She also said she had her gmail account set up at her phone store (who she isn't too happy at the moment, so going there is out of the question).

I'm gonna go over tomorrow & see what I can do on her computer. Hopefully I can resolve it.

I don't think Android makes you have any sort of email to use some of the default programs on your phone. If you want to download apps from Google's App Store, you do have to google account. I'm unsure if you can update any apps without a gmail account. But phone, text, and browser should work fine, but my info could be dated.

Did the google parts of the phone ever work for her? Was she ever able to download apps? If she has never downloaded an app, then it isn't likely she has malware/virus. Not that the browser would be immune to virus, but I haven't heard of any in the wild. Malware hides in the app store often though. It's possible that the issue she is having could just be that her goggle amount was never set up.

To install an app that isn't from the Google app store, you just need to change a setting under security. However, if the phone has malware on it, it could use that as an opportunity to install its own apps.

To answer the question about getting an AV program on without the play store; Amazon also has an Android App Store so you can try that. Failing that, use the phone to search for a .apk file for your preferred anti-virus; download it and execute it. There is a setting among the security settings to allow installations from unknown sources, you'll have to enable that before you can run the .apk file.

You need anti-virus software for your phone? Wow, who knew?

Depends on what you are using. iPhones for example, don't need it at all. They make sure that all the things on the AppStore are clean, but Android's store is not nearly as clean of things that can put malicious software on their phones, they also have open source OS that people can download easily where Apple you have to actually "jailbreak" it so that you can take advantage of other things like that, but it makes the phone unsafe in the process.

• Like 1

I would second the suggestion to access the google account from a clean computer.   Once you've done that, and changed your passwords, you can then go to the Google play store on the PC - If you're signed into the same account attached to the phone, it will actually give you the option to install an app to the phone right from the PC.

I use the AVG anti-virus on my phones/tablets (first app I install, actually) - I don't know how good it would be at cleaning up if something is already there, though.