antivirus app on a phone after a virus??

This one is for my mom but she may have a virus on her phone that is preventing her from signing into anything Google right now. She doesn't have a AV installed (should have listen to me!!!) & I tried to get one on there but they all seem to point to the Play Store. Anyone know how you can do this without the play store?

Also she has a gmail account but for some reason none of the password recovery options are working. It's like she doesn't have an account. Anyone know what might be preventing this? On that note, anyone know what might be preventing her from signing in. Seems like the wrong password screen comes up all the time for her.

thanks

This one is for my mom but she may have a virus on her phone that is preventing her from signing into anything Google right now. She doesn't have a AV installed (should have listen to me!!!) & I tried to get one on there but they all seem to point to the Play Store. Anyone know how you can do this without the play store?

Also she has a gmail account but for some reason none of the password recovery options are working. It's like she doesn't have an account. Anyone know what might be preventing this? On that note, anyone know what might be preventing her from signing in. Seems like the wrong password screen comes up all the time for her.

thanks

I'd try signing in from a clean computer and seeing if it allows here to, otherwise it might be under the control of someone who changed all the passwords and recovery options somehow. 

• Like 1

Speaking of which, I got a random text message today that didn't make any sense in the preview and I deleted it without opening the damn thing.

You get this from here or just a general text?

She is getting a bit stress out over this + late last month she got a computer which is also stressing her out. I need to check things out for her. I'm more or a hands on, get it in front of me or I can't really explain it kinda of help person. Hoping I can get it fixed soon. Kinda hate being the tech/fix it help...:lol:

If it is malware on the phone causing the issues, it is like intercepting the password (that could be a fake login prompt, even).  I would strongly urge that you log in to that Google account from a known-good computer and reset the password.  Don't try to log in to the account on the phone, and don't enter the credentials again.  Also, if you have any accounts with the same credentials, go change those as well (even if they're unrelated).

As far as loading an AV outside of the Google Play store, I assume that would require sideloading (which is not something I'm too familiar with).  The best bet might be to remove any external storage (microSD card, etc.) and reset the phone to factory defaults, though I don't know if that is sufficient to wipe out malware.  Once it's reset, try to get on the Play store and download an AV program (I recommend Avast!, though any reputable one should be fine) and run a scan on the phone.

• Like 6

That was one along with Lookout (I use that one) when I told her at the beginning to put it on there. I also brought up the factory default. She has some family photos on there, but I'm sure they are on the card.

She was saying she never went through the entire process of setting up her gmail account so I'm thinkin she doesn't have one, but she had to have a email to get home internet. She said she went like 2 steps & that was it ????? She also said she had her gmail account set up at her phone store (who she isn't too happy at the moment, so going there is out of the question).

I'm gonna go over tomorrow & see what I can do on her computer. Hopefully I can resolve it.

I don't think Android makes you have any sort of email to use some of the default programs on your phone. If you want to download apps from Google's App Store, you do have to google account. I'm unsure if you can update any apps without a gmail account. But phone, text, and browser should work fine, but my info could be dated.

Did the google parts of the phone ever work for her? Was she ever able to download apps? If she has never downloaded an app, then it isn't likely she has malware/virus. Not that the browser would be immune to virus, but I haven't heard of any in the wild. Malware hides in the app store often though. It's possible that the issue she is having could just be that her goggle amount was never set up.

To install an app that isn't from the Google app store, you just need to change a setting under security. However, if the phone has malware on it, it could use that as an opportunity to install its own apps.

To answer the question about getting an AV program on without the play store; Amazon also has an Android App Store so you can try that. Failing that, use the phone to search for a .apk file for your preferred anti-virus; download it and execute it. There is a setting among the security settings to allow installations from unknown sources, you'll have to enable that before you can run the .apk file.

You need anti-virus software for your phone? Wow, who knew?

Depends on what you are using. iPhones for example, don't need it at all. They make sure that all the things on the AppStore are clean, but Android's store is not nearly as clean of things that can put malicious software on their phones, they also have open source OS that people can download easily where Apple you have to actually "jailbreak" it so that you can take advantage of other things like that, but it makes the phone unsafe in the process.

• Like 1

I would second the suggestion to access the google account from a clean computer.   Once you've done that, and changed your passwords, you can then go to the Google play store on the PC - If you're signed into the same account attached to the phone, it will actually give you the option to install an app to the phone right from the PC.

I use the AVG anti-virus on my phones/tablets (first app I install, actually) - I don't know how good it would be at cleaning up if something is already there, though. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator/x/10803452#/

BACKERS 1,371 Quick Facts
      Cosmo Communicator is a pocketable clamshell smartphone with a physical backlit keyboard Device features dual colour touchscreen displays and a 24MP camera External 2" touchscreen when device is closed and large 6" touchscreen when device is open - ample space to create on the move.
      Cosmo runs Android 9 (Pie) and also supports Linux OS, such as Sailfish OS and Debian, with a multi-boot option
      Built to be the only device you need to carry, and small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s a true all-in-one replacement for both your mobile phone and your laptop.

Media Coverage

Slashgear  "This is just the latest and greatest of the machines the company’s made to fill the gaps between smartphone and laptop“
      ZD NET  "Tiny Android, Linux laptop: Cosmo Communicator is also dual-screen phone”
      The Verge “tiny Android laptop …doubles as a phone”
      The Register  "Planet brought the clamshell QWERTY back to the market 17 years after Psion made its last PDA”
      Engadget  “intended to serve as a phone, not just a pocketable productivity machine”
      Liliputing  “… use as a smartphone replacement rather than a smartphone companion”
      Engadget Japan “レトロフューチャーなデザインに最新機能山盛りのGemini PDA後継機”

The Planet Story continues...
      At Planet Computers innovation is at the heart of our company.  Earlier this year,  we successfully delivered our Gemini PDA product to more than 7000 Indiegogo backers who supported our mission to kick start a new mobile computing revolution. 
      Now, we are ready to push our vision even further and you can be part of it.
      In the process of developing our new device we asked our Indiegogo backers, users and followers what features they wanted to have.
      We are excited to announce that we are extending the range of Planet devices with the Cosmo Communicator, our new flagship device.
      The Cosmo Communicator is a modern dual-screen clamshell-based mobile communicator with an integrated keyboard. It is built to be a great pocket computer, a superb mobile phone and an excellent high resolution camera.

The Cosmo features dual colour displays: it features an external colour touchscreen display for easy phone call control and notifications.  Tucked away inside the beautiful and sleek award winning clamshell design is an ultra-wide 6” colour touchscreen display providing ample space to create on the move with a fully functioning  keyboard integrated into the device. When open, the innovative clamshell also acts as a support of the device, allowing you to type comfortably.

Cosmo’s newly designed backlit keyboard, allows you to comfortably work at night or in dark spaces such as on long plane journeys without the need of external lighting.

Disclaimer; I own the Gemini, their previous communicator. 
      Yes, the keyboard works and you can write on it at a decent speed. 
      Unfortunately, on the Gemini, Libreoffice on Debian really lags... like my painting... 
      (Yeah, struggling to catch up.)
      They're promising a faster CPU with more cores on the Cosmo, but so far I don't know how much faster. 
      MUltiboot OS is possible (I have Debian as default, Android as second and Sailfish as the third on my Gemini), but currently it requires a fiddly process where you download OS images, erase the internal storage on the device, then use a PC SW package to flash it with the images. And multibooted devices don't support the usual Android update system.   
      (I expect the process will be improved later)

I'm currently undecided and have about a week left to decide...   

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone/x/10803452#/

The Gemini is designed by the people who designed the keyboard for the Psion S3 and S5 range of PDAs in the 90s.

Overview
      Gemini is an ultra-thin clamshell mobile device with fully integrated tactile QWERTY keyboard, that fits in your pocket. Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option. Gemini is fully equipped with 4G, WiFi & Bluetooth enabling both data communications and mobile phone calls.

Quick Facts
      •Gemini is an integrated keyboard mobile device that fits in your pocket
      •It features an ultra-thin metal clamshell design with a fully integrated QWERTY keyboard
      •Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option
      •4G & WiFi and WiFi only models are available - enabling both data communications and mobile phone calls
      •The large ultra-wide touchscreen and double-sized battery provide optimal usability and portability

The battery is replaceable...
    • By Gadgetman!
      What is it?
      Our first Libre Computer Board, code name Le Potato, is designed as a drop in hardware replacement for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and offers faster performance, more memory, lower power, higher IO throughput, 4K capabilities, open market components, improved media acceleration, removal of the vendor locked-in interfaces, and Android 7.1 support. This platform uses the latest technologies and is built upon proven long term available chips. It is supported by upstream Linux and has a downstream development package based on Linux 4.9 LTS that offers ready-to-go 4K media decoding, 3D acceleration, and more. 
      It can be used to tinker with electronics, teach programming, build media centers, create digital signage solutions, play retro games, establish bi-directional video, and unlock imaginations. It is available in 1GB and 2GB configurations while utilizing a large existing collaborative ecosystem of parts for creators to build new and exciting products and services.
      Why is this project important?
      We coined the term "extensible embedded computing space" or EECS (or Electrical Engineering Computer Science?) to describe a market that is under-developed in proportion to its size and age. Professionals, enthusiasts, educators, students, and hobbyists have been creating alternative world-changing ideas utilizing inexpensive extensible computing infrastructure. 
      We want this computing infrastructure to be open so that anyone can turn an idea into a product or service. We feel that the traditional barriers to entry for hardware and software, both in terms of cost and time, should be de-duplicated and scaled. We created this initiative called the Libre Computer Project to further this scalability via promoting and funding open hardware and software libre.

They've passed the $25K funding goal (currently at $28K) with 3 days still to go. 
      Yeah, I'm a backer. 
    • By Pingo
      This is another of the PCs for an enjoyable mashup of White Wolf's World of Darkness (Vampire the Masquerade, second edition, Werewolf the APocalypse etc.) and Exalted (second edition).  This one is an androgynous, or perhaps genderfluid would be a better description, Alchemical, a sort of human-cyborg prototype Exalted made by Autochthon, architect of the world.

The Adamant caste are sort of the policemen-secret agent-ninjas of the Alchemicals, making sure society runs smoothly in their mechanized cities.  This one is sort of lost, as the Creation of Exalted has morphed into the World of Darkness and Autochthon is nowhere to be found, although things with his name which are not him, echoes perhaps, linger.

Anyhow, that's all backstory.  The figure is Patrick Keith's enigmatic Numemera Jack, Reaper 62102. 

There is a WIP thread here.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)