So, I love to paint monsters - I always have really.  I decided to have a little fun on the forums and post pictures of various monster minis I've painted at various times (some of them over 10-15 years ago) and start gathering them into hordes.  Every so often I'll post a "horde" picture of everyone who's been gathered at the time.

I'm going to go with discretely evil monsters, unless I've decided they're enslaved for some reason.  Humans count, of course, if they look like they're evil.  I'll also post pictures of some in groups.  I'll try to throw a picture up here every few days, but I make no promises.  Hopefully you'll find it as fun as I do!

We should start off with a Prince of Evil, I think.  A Demon Prince.  I posted this guy in "show off" before, but I love both the mini and the job I did, so I'm going to post him again.  This is an old Ral Partha mini - it was released in 1985 and it is altogether possible that I bought it in that time frame.  I painted it fall last year.  I suspect it was Ral Partha's "not Demogorgon," so I deliberately painted the faces like baboons:

post-12963-0-99648500-1391292986_thumb.jpg

Hrm.  That picture isn't as good as I thought it was.  Ah well, you'll see him again. :) 

More to come!

Edited by Grim
Added correct tag information
  • Like 16

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. I really like the mini and couldn't see the detail. So, I adjusted the light with an editor. You don't really notice it much in this photo but the glow on the tail is a nice touch. The horn's look awesome.

• Like 1

Thanks for noticing the tail!  It was really subtle, but lava doesn't shed that much light. :)  As I said above, I'm happy with this guy - in particular I like the black with blue highlights.  I may reshoot him if some of the group shots don't show him off terribly well.

Ok, I've decided to change my tack a bit here - posting a long, long thread with my army (and being unable to tag all the minis as I'll quickly run out of tags) isn't a great idea, so I'm going to do different threads for different types of beasties, every so often I'll put in a picture of the Horde.  I'm going to use "Grim's Army of Evil" as a tag so it can be located.  I'll also put it on any new mini I paint that fits. ;) 

Hrm.  Unless you can think of a better title?  I mean "Army of Darkness" is taken, and "Horde of Darkness" is reminiscent of a SCA group that I'm not going to mess with...

Anyway, here's another oldie but goodie: two Ral Partha Demons.  I thought they rather looked like Japanese Oni, so I painted them that way.  In this case the mini itself is probably from the 80s or 90s, and I painted it then.  I think I'd do better if I painted it today, but hey, they're not awful - in particular I like the one with the sword:

post-12963-0-20041200-1423248233_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-49925900-1423248235_thumb.jpg

Three doesn't a horde make... four is the critical number I think.  I'm going to try and source a mini and throw one more up later - then we'll get our first group shot. :)

Edited by Grim
  • Like 5

Ok, since I'm running out of tags, one more for this thread.  I used to play GW's fantasy skirmish game "Mordheim" way back when (early 2000s?  Something like that.)  At the time, I bought a few of their minis.  Here is one I used - I've looked him up on line and he's apparently a Champion of Tzeench (073155/9,)  but they only refer to him as "three heads." (How prosiac.) Btw, this is a pretty old paint job.  I also added the scorpion tail from something else, can't tell you what. 

post-12963-0-96700100-1423502886_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-46335000-1423502889_thumb.jpg

And since I've acheived a certain level of critical mass, how about a group shot:

post-12963-0-06789100-1423502925_thumb.jpg

Not-Demogorgon is pretty big for a mini from the 80s.  He must have been a serious monster in the old scale. :)

Edited by Grim
  • Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.