Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

DSM-7425 Male High Elf Warrior

Wonderful work on this one Jay! You've definitely experienced another "level up" especially with the use of the better brushes.

• Like 2

Thanks Ub3r;

The wildest part was the discovery that I wasn't going for the high Highlights due to the crappy brushes.

When I went to highlight a fold, I could follow the ridge with the brush tip!

Before I had to use the side of the brush. 

Suddenly I wasn't fighting the brush, I was using it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge difference.

• Like 6

Jay, you can just integrate that integral base onto your own. Look at how I did Noreth compared to his integral base in the store. I just whipped up a couple little rocks with GS that looked similar to the one he was standing on, added some dirt from the woodpile and a couple tufts. Just glued all that onto a 1" round piece of oak I had lying around.

Looking forward to your new adventures with a good brush!

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 3

Great Idea Cash;

I'll have to take a look at how Noreth was fitted into your base.

I have been acquiring things I need piecemeal, just got the green stuff,

and the jewelers saw.  Thanks for the information.

• Like 2

Jay, you can just integrate that integral base onto your own. Look at how I did Noreth compared to his integral base in the store. I just whipped up a couple little rocks with GS that looked similar to the one he was standing on, added some dirt from the woodpile and a couple tufts. Just glued all that onto a 1" round piece of oak I had lying around.

Yup! This +1

• Like 2

Yup! This +1

+2

• Like 3

Awesome. I love this mini, and yours looks great!

Thanks Sanael !

I'm still waiting to see a certain Froggy Prince show up in the show offs.

One of these days I hope !

Nudge Nudge  :devil:

• Like 1

Thanks Silvervane;

There is always something new to learn.

Basing is a lot of fun, and now with the new brushes I am beginning to

really up the highlighting, color contrast thing.  I got quite the kick in the butt

from the cloak, and moving the scale up and down.

• Like 2

Really nice work.  The contrast on your cloak is inspiring and like I said on your WIP thread, the contrast of your blues really pop on this mini.  

I don't like how obscured the face is by the helmet.  I feel like it makes him more rank and file than dynamic character.  I feel my eye drawn away from his face.   

• Like 1

Knocked this one outta the park! I love the vibrancy of the blue and green. The pants look like a nice soft leather, the armor is nice and shiney. Just outstanding work. :wub:

• Like 1

Really nice work.  The contrast on your cloak is inspiring and like I said on your WIP thread, the contrast of your blues really pop on this mini.  

I don't like how obscured the face is by the helmet.  I feel like it makes him more rank and file than dynamic character.  I feel my eye drawn away from his face.   

I know the angle of the head obscures the face, and it also made putting in the eyes very difficult.

Not much room in that small grid to get fancy with the face or eyes.

The Cloak and material really give a feeling of fluid movement, and the back of the cloak was

pretty awesome to work on.  All those levels of light and shade.

nice job.  This is the best cloth I have seen from you yet.  I feel like the metallics do not show up in pictures the way they would IRL.  I'm not sure what you can do about that except to start doing more extreme tmm.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      This is my diorama entry from Reapercon 2019 "Done and on to the next one".  It received silver in the diorama category and 2nd place Dark Sword Individual Figure.  The two figures are DSM7627 Female Ranger with Bow from Dark Sword Miniatures and 77189 Creature from the Blood Reef (Bones version) from Reaper Miniatures. 

My intention with this piece was to show a dynamic interaction between the two figures as compactly as possible and with a clear indication of the action, but with enough uncertainty in the details that the observer can be lead to many different interpretations of the story.  For example, did the creature just miss her with a claw attack, or is he clinging to the rock in dying desperation while she contemptuously uses him as a launch pad?  I went through many challenges with this figure (including crushing her in transport, breaking off her arm, crushing the bow and snapping off her leg at the ankle). 

Some of the detail work I did on this included:

cleaning out the quiver and sculpting new arrows
      re-sculpting her chest and back to be a wool dress (the original figure has a bare stomach and back)
      adding the taught bow string using monofilament fishing line
      changing her bracer so that the buckles are on the side away from the bow string
      carving up and adjusting the creature layer by layer until he fit exactly where I wanted him (this is why I chose the Bones version - I would have found it nearly impossible with a metal figure)

I am very grateful to Brice Cocanour who gave me a lot of advice on how to bring out the best look of the piece by adjusting the colour and value balance.  He was also kind enough to let me use some of his tools and his big container of water effects to fix some of the problems with the base.  Once again, I learned a ton from seeking help from the artists.  I also really appreciate the feedback I got from the judges.  As a first-timer at the MSP Open, I made some newbie mistakes that I will fix for next time, and as a long-time painter, I appreciated being told exactly where things were off so that I could reflect on them for future projects. 

The judges feedback was:  

They liked the tartan, the fabric texture and the colour choice.  Some of the lines on the tartan could be made cleaner.  One way to do this is to do the lines repeatedly with very thin paint.  Small mistakes are then harder to see, but the correct position of the line gets hit repeatedly making the  visual appearance of the lines neater.  Another suggestion was to map out the tartan pattern in light grey first before adding any colour.  Use pure white to make landmarks at the intersection points of the lines which are bright enough to show through the subsequent paint layers.  This helps to make the layout of the pattern more precise and less risky.  Because the pattern is laid out before any colour is added or a lot of work is put into highlights and shading, any mistakes in the layout can be corrected without having to do a lot of repair work.

Overall composition was good with the story being very clear with the construction being very tight and kept to the essentials (no wasted space and unnecessary features).

They liked the overall skin tone and highlight placement to focus attention on her face.  They pointed out where improvements were needed to some of the blends on the skin, specifically on her calf where some of the shadow, dirt and highlight blends are misaligned or too abrupt and not bright enough (her ankle for example needs to be a bit brighter).

The final surface texture of her skin could have been smoother. Suggestions for this included using brush-on sealer to smooth out flaws, paying close attention to cleanliness of the figure (eg large dust particles) and removing them as soon as they are found, then filling the craters and smoothing their edges, and glazing additional layers of the mid-tone to smooth out some of the edges of the blends. 

Clean up the water effects where they meet the base to give a crisper line between the action and the base. 

It was recommended to mount the diorama directly onto the wooden plinth if possible rather than on a gaming base attached to the top of the plinth. 

The judges scores were 3, 3 and 4 for 10/12 (Silver).
    • By joshuaslater
      These savages are on Kickstarter.  My first Kickstarter!  There are all kinds of add ons lurking in here too.  Thanks Reaper for providing this forum! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie?ref=creator_nav

• By Stonebred
      Here's a rabbit I'm working on. I still have a ways to go, but he's starting to take shape. 
      Feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!

• By Geoff Davis
      Female ranger with a bow from Dark Sword Miniatures.

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      Statuesque Miniatures

Ok. We're all set. The Kickstarter launches on Tuesday! It's not a massively long campaign, so tell everyone! Your friends, your family, even your enemies - maybe they just need tiny metal toys in their lives and will forever more be much better people!

You'll be able to grab the full set of miniatures or choose from smaller sets in any combination. There will also be a very limited number of hand-finished (by me) sets just like the miniatures in the photos. The perfect labour-free gift for yourself or someone you love. Awwww.
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 3 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)