Randomness 5: The Umpire Strikes Back

Froggy the Great

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* Yes, yes it is Reapercon. It isn't because anything horrible happened, though. ...

:mellow:

I do like that nothing horrible has happened but it was enough of a bummer there's no punching any Like buttons.

Fly back on a Saturday Red Eye?  That's probably a bad idea...

::(: 

• Like 1

*sigh* Yes, yes it is Reapercon. It isn't because anything horrible happened, though. It's...well, okay. A little backstory: (spoilered due to me being whiney, also length)

~~~~~~~~~~

About two weeks after I'd finalized my tickets and flights etc. for RCon, my DaddyBoot called to tell me that my MamaBoot will be graduating with her Master's degree!

And I'm like HUZZAH!!!!! :bday:

And then he's like And the ceremony is going to be on May 2nd!

And I'm like...  :blink:  :wacko:  :mellow:  :down: Ooooh snap. I'm, um, sorta going to be in Texas then for this awesome painting thing....

And he's like oh. Well, that's cool, you'll be able to visit your brother and his wife and their new baby while you're there! And your sister and her husband are going, so there will be family other than me there to support her, so it's all good.

And I'm like okay, awesome. I support MamaBoot 1,000% and REALLY want to go, but I will send flowers and a pretty handwritten letter saying how proud I am of her!

(and really, if I'd known about her graduation sooner, there's no way I would have even planned to go to RCon, no question)

~~~~~~~~~

And that was the state of things up until today, when everything went kersplodey. See, my sister had apparently forgotten that her and her hubby had signed up for an infant CPR class that exact morning, since they'd made the reservation months ago. And she's not comfortable with taking the class at a later time, since she's kinda gonna have a baby at the end of May and would like to have taken the class BEFORE that point. Which, okay, I can understand, I guess.

HOWEVER.

This means that none of my MamaBoot's kids will be there for her Master's graduation ceremony, which is something she's worked very hard toward for years. And I know that would make her sad and very hurt. And I would feel like a jerk for going off and having fun in Texas instead of supporting my awesome mother.

So. I've been going around and around and around in my head trying to decide what to do, and ultimately the question I keep coming back to is this: "Is my hobby more important than my family?" Which of course the answer is a resounding NO.

...It still doesn't make the decision any less hard, though.  :down:

Plus, there's another twist. My dad got laid off on Thursday (it was expected, as the construction job he was on was winding down), and so my sister is wanting to schedule her baby shower the weekend of my mom's graduation (which is happening near-ish where my sister lives), since that means one less long trip for my parents. Which is a good idea, so that they won't have to spend as much money. However, that means that there will now be TWO important family events happening right during ReaperCon. Which is one too many for me to justify going to the con.  ::(:

...Well, at least Mr. Boot finally realizes how much going to RCon means to me; I don't think he understood just how much it meant to me until he walked in on me bawling my head off and finally got out of me what was wrong. He was very comforting and said that if at all possible, he'd try to make sure I get to RCon, whether it's this year or next year. ^_^  My only concern is that by this time next year, if we happen to have a weeBoot of our own, or had one on the way, there's no way I could justify going. And from what I've seen, once one starts one's family, big trips just don't happen for awhile due to various reasons.  :unsure:

So, anyways, yeah. That's the long version.

Tl;dnr version: Family obligations. Family > hobby. OneBoot is sad, but the equation still stands.

I haven't actually cancelled any tickets or flights yet; I'm going to call my DaddyBoot tomorrow and talk it all over with him. I'll probably still end up coming to the same conclusion, but at least I'll feel a little better about it.

EDIT: Thanks for being patient while I blew off a bunch of steam and frustration, everyone. Typing all that out actually helped me calm down some.

--OneBoot

Liked for your dedication to your mother, I think it's admirable. I'm pretty confident that there's going to be plenty of ReaperCons to attend in the future, maybe even with a little Bootling.

• Like 4

From my experience last year going to PAX with my nephew....

Tiny would be fine (ie in pouch, breastfeeding etc) maybe/probably (depending on bubs).

1 year old (at least with my nephew) was asking for trouble.  He got bored, unhappy etc.... it made for a less fun experience.

• Like 4

@oneboot - sorry to hear that. :down: *offers hugs*

As for childern, it might be the expenses that keep people from going places, because when they are very young, the are a little like luggage, you lug them around feed them, clean them a bit, and all is good. Once they start crawling.. Then there's trouble. ::D:

And there is always grandparents / relatives these one(s) can visit. :lol:

• Like 3

Sympathy like LadyBoot. ::(: That's a terrible choice to have to make, though I would end up making the same choice as well.

With regards to the cancelled flights, IIRC correctly, sometimes airlines will either not charge the cancellation fee or reduce it if you reschedule the flights instead of cancelling them outright. So you might look into that to see if that's an option. Or I might just be completely misremembering things :unsure:

We watched the season final of Helix last night and, amoung other things, one of the thoughts I'm left with is "Dang! Ladies' purse are the size of suitcases in the future!" :blink:

• Like 4

Wow, that's not an enviable position to be in, Oneboot. I'm sorry to hear it.

I'm glad that all the typing helped you relax a little. Please always feel free to gripe/whine/complain to us here; I certainly don't mind. Especially if it's at all cathartic.

I sincerely hope that everything works out in the best possible fashion for you.

>hugs<

• Like 5

*sigh* Yes, yes it is Reapercon. It isn't because anything horrible happened, though. It's...well, okay. A little backstory: (spoilered due to me being whiney, also length)

~~~~~~~~~~

About two weeks after I'd finalized my tickets and flights etc. for RCon, my DaddyBoot called to tell me that my MamaBoot will be graduating with her Master's degree!

And I'm like HUZZAH!!!!! :bday:

And then he's like And the ceremony is going to be on May 2nd!

And I'm like...  :blink:  :wacko:  :mellow:  :down: Ooooh snap. I'm, um, sorta going to be in Texas then for this awesome painting thing....

And he's like oh. Well, that's cool, you'll be able to visit your brother and his wife and their new baby while you're there! And your sister and her husband are going, so there will be family other than me there to support her, so it's all good.

And I'm like okay, awesome. I support MamaBoot 1,000% and REALLY want to go, but I will send flowers and a pretty handwritten letter saying how proud I am of her!

(and really, if I'd known about her graduation sooner, there's no way I would have even planned to go to RCon, no question)

~~~~~~~~~

And that was the state of things up until today, when everything went kersplodey. See, my sister had apparently forgotten that her and her hubby had signed up for an infant CPR class that exact morning, since they'd made the reservation months ago. And she's not comfortable with taking the class at a later time, since she's kinda gonna have a baby at the end of May and would like to have taken the class BEFORE that point. Which, okay, I can understand, I guess.

HOWEVER.

This means that none of my MamaBoot's kids will be there for her Master's graduation ceremony, which is something she's worked very hard toward for years. And I know that would make her sad and very hurt. And I would feel like a jerk for going off and having fun in Texas instead of supporting my awesome mother.

So. I've been going around and around and around in my head trying to decide what to do, and ultimately the question I keep coming back to is this: "Is my hobby more important than my family?" Which of course the answer is a resounding NO.

...It still doesn't make the decision any less hard, though.  :down:

Plus, there's another twist. My dad got laid off on Thursday (it was expected, as the construction job he was on was winding down), and so my sister is wanting to schedule her baby shower the weekend of my mom's graduation (which is happening near-ish where my sister lives), since that means one less long trip for my parents. Which is a good idea, so that they won't have to spend as much money. However, that means that there will now be TWO important family events happening right during ReaperCon. Which is one too many for me to justify going to the con.  ::(:

...Well, at least Mr. Boot finally realizes how much going to RCon means to me; I don't think he understood just how much it meant to me until he walked in on me bawling my head off and finally got out of me what was wrong. He was very comforting and said that if at all possible, he'd try to make sure I get to RCon, whether it's this year or next year. ^_^  My only concern is that by this time next year, if we happen to have a weeBoot of our own, or had one on the way, there's no way I could justify going. And from what I've seen, once one starts one's family, big trips just don't happen for awhile due to various reasons.  :unsure:

So, anyways, yeah. That's the long version.

Tl;dnr version: Family obligations. Family > hobby. OneBoot is sad, but the equation still stands.

I haven't actually cancelled any tickets or flights yet; I'm going to call my DaddyBoot tomorrow and talk it all over with him. I'll probably still end up coming to the same conclusion, but at least I'll feel a little better about it.

EDIT: Thanks for being patient while I blew off a bunch of steam and frustration, everyone. Typing all that out actually helped me calm down some.

--OneBoot

Sympathies OneBoot. I'm sorry things are going all complicated on you. :down:

Congratulations to MamaBoot though.

• Like 1

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone.

*gulps down coffee*

@OneBoot - Sorry to hear you won't be making RCon this year, but family is very important. ReaperCon will be there next year (and many years to follow) and hopefully you can make next year.

@NZ - remind me never to go near your state while driving...  

• Like 2