Small Dragons? (50mm base)

Evilhalfling

So In my D&D games almost all dragon fights are against medium and large dragons.  I will soon have enough really HUGE dragons 

- narthex, blightfang, & the silver from expansion #1 

but I would like some variation in dragons the size of horses. I can't tell from the catalog which dragons fit this description.  They don't have to actually fit on a 50 mm base that's just the ballpark. 

Can you help me out? 

What smaller dragons have you liked? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reaper also has a whole series of young dragons and dragon hatchlings that are like horse size, some a little bigger. Pretty much any of the metal dragons that are less than $20 would work.... many have Bones versions for much less. The Warlord line has the Reptus faction that have many models that could be used as small dragons or dragon men.

There are also several larger ones that can fit a 50mm base due to standing or flying poses. just search dragon in the store or figure finder.

Edited by rgtriplec
  • Like 4

I did some scale reference shots after Bones 1.  You can find that thread here.

About all I was able to get in Bones 2 were the dragons and other large creatures so I will do another round of scale reference pics for y'all.

I will try to get my hands on the hatchlings and the silver dragon as soon as I am able so we get a nice all-around dragon reference series.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 6

Nearly every "blistered" dragon from the DHL line (i.e. not the boxed dragons) will fit on a 50mm base (or close to it). Try this search on the Reaper site:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Dark%20Heaven%20Legends%20dragon

It's going to return some dragonman hits, as well as the larger blistered dragons (usually, these will lack the little "Bryangles" on the side of the pic). The ones that are more horse-sized (pretty much any of the dragons that have "young" as part of their name) should have Bryangles, indicating their general size.

~v

• Like 2

I agree the young and hatchling sizes are where you should be looking. The pathfinder is as big as the silver and fire dragons and border on huge creatures, even if you can squeeze them on a smaller base.

Hatchling have always been my favorite. Fight dragons, they will do that all day long. Babysit a "cute" little one who occasionally breaths fire on the tent and leaves them to m deal with an "accident" in the bed of dragon sized proportion, that's where the real terror begins.

• Like 5

I like the shadow dragon: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77108

pretty sure it fits the bill, I've painted it as a young brine dragon

I have the metal version of this one, its feet would fit nicely on a 2" base. I plan to paint it as a white dragon.

• Like 1

Yeah dragons in recent D&D editions are WAY too small.

So In my D&D games almost all dragon fights are against medium and large dragons. 

Fights against puny dragons are a problem of WotC's edtions. While 2E did have the start of hatchlings being a major fight (Red hatchlings bit for 3d10+1 damage!), at least then they still got BIG; nose to tail tip hatchling reds were  4-24 feet long and at great wyrm they were 336 - 354 feet end to end. IF you ever caught the Record of Lodoss War anime(s), Shooting Star is a decent example of that size class of dragon.   http://youtu.be/c1_6OdRBWds?t=46s

I will soon have enough really HUGE dragons 

- narthex, blightfang, & the silver from expansion #1 

Can you help me out? 

Sure, what edition you playing? Each one should have rules for monster creation. Those rules make it easy enough to sorta easy to restat dragons at a decent size. Heck, you can usually just put a bigger mini down and unless the players have their noses in the MM where they don't belong, the players won't notice if you use the stats unchanged. WotC Dragons tend to have so much AC, HP and Damage output, they feel like they should have been a whole size class larger anyways.

Also, if you feel bound to use the rule book base sizes when basing a dragon, put them on rocky outcroppings, this way you can use the base size you can get most use out of AND it keeps player's minis from scraping up your paint jobs. Look at some of the official D&D minis, many dragons overhung their bases fiercely or cramped themselves to fit the proscribed base size, so even the official minis put Large dragons on medium bases and huge dragons on large bases.

toosmallforHD_zps3fa134d9.jpg

this is not an advertisement for these minis, most of them cost way too much nowadays.

What smaller dragons have you liked? 

Not many, there is little dignity in killing a dragon the size of a dog. Players should get to fight impressive wryms rather than midget dragons even at lowish levels.

cbe8756d770ae0cb10610a6aeed11089.jpg

I've always seen this image as a big snarky middle finger at Player Characters.

Now those smaller dragons work well if players are using 10mm to 15mm figures. But if PC figures are Heroic scale, their foes must be Horrific Scale!

• Like 1

Some times even dealing with a lesser aspect is a challange:

"We stole the effiel tower - the one from vegas. "

or from one of my PCs - 

"We should call ourselves the moonbreakers!,  yes it was a clockwork moon, in a pocket dimension - but it was still a moon! "

side note -  more people should give their players a chance to destroy a moon. The whole rest of the game might be forgotten but in 25 years of gaming I have only destroyed one moon. 

• Like 4