Sign in to follow this  
Watchman

3D Terrain Boards

Such an brilliant idea! This is looking really good! It reminds me of a game called FRONT MISSION

Did you provide any support on the bridge? I can imagine printer paper would just not be the best?

SO i'm coming to your house to play, right? :)

The bridge is one of the projects left to do.  As to the other, sure, if you can handle 18 below 0 temperatures. 

As I do each Map I will be posting the progress of each one, I think 15 to 20 maps.  I have an idea or two on Vegetation.

• Like 1

Okay, so I have ordered a bridge, I also ordered several 18" x 22" sheets of Luan from a local lumber and building supply outfit I will pick up tomorrow.

In the mean time I will start project 2.  This is one of the map boards that was too thick for the print machine.post-9266-0-22420400-1424031855_thumb.jpg

So I copied the area of the map with any elevation on it on a color copier and cut out the part I will use as the master template to start making the sheets of elevation that will just sit on top of the map board.post-9266-0-93654300-1424032127_thumb.jpg. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

That was relatively simple and will be easy to store since the terrain will just sit on the map.post-9266-0-62478900-1424098389_thumb.jpg

So for Project 3 I will do another of this type that has extreme elevation changes:post-9266-0-08540000-1424098727_thumb.jpg

After that back to the first project type.

Had to remove the level two in the top picture to include a second layer of foam to make it Level2 as you can see in the photo below.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

So far two hard map boards have their terrain assembled.post-9266-0-65628200-1424144318_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-84968100-1424144920_thumb.jpg  Final step for these is painting the level faces.

The big project is now mounted on a sheet of Luan but the terrain is just sitting in place awaiting a bridge, in the mean time it too needs to be painted.post-9266-0-13280800-1424144530_thumb.jpg  It has been quite fun watching the maps come a live, so to speak. The next one will be another multilevel map with water.

I went with cutting out the overall terrain shape for the two hard map boards and it is considerably easier, and less confusing,  Once the base layer is cut out of the foam I cut off that layer from the overall shape, trace the next shape, cut the foam and then that layer's map sections and so on.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 6

How long does it take to make the one layer... say... the bottom one? using that Hot Wire?

Maybe 5 minutes depending on the size, 10 for the bigger ones when they have a lot of turns.  Once I get more confident with it it will probably go faster.  All told I would say the three boards took a hour and a half to cut out.

• Like 1

This is the start of project 4.  The base template has been cut out and the remainder has been glued to a Luan Plywood base.post-9266-0-82650000-1424228887_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-41130700-1424229291_thumb.jpg This board will need four, very short, bridges.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 5

I want to go ahead and thank you for posting all of these! It really has sparked my imagination! I want to do it myself one day! Thank you!

That's crazy cool idea man !  You should think about marketing them ?!?!

I am having too much fun making them, you or someone else can run with it, I have way too many projects to do, remember all those Wolverines I mentioned to you?

• Like 3

I want to go ahead and thank you for posting all of these! It really has sparked my imagination! I want to do it myself one day! Thank you!

You are quite welcome, I already have an idea for other types of game maps/boards even without hexes.  Just wish I could get thinner sheets of foam, 3/8" to be exact as it would be more realistic in size for CAV, also with the many different types of tools available from the Foam Factory one could get really creative.

• Like 1

BTW, when I did this I just used a layer of foam for the bottom.  Much lighter than luan and works for support.  When playing with multiple maps I use the flat terrain that is mounted on foam board as shims to level maps without water with those with water.  Have had 9 maps in a 3x3 matrix to play, but the more maps the longer the session.

I store maps in boxes sized for the maps.  Most were old PC boxes I got from work, but some were from Office stores or Uhall packing boxes.

Used the same maps as you have.

• Like 1

You are quite welcome, I already have an idea for other types of game maps/boards even without hexes.  Just wish I could get thinner sheets of foam, 3/8" to be exact as it would be more realistic in size for CAV, also with the many different types of tools available from the Foam Factory one could get really creative.

When I first read your post on this I thought the same thing. I'll see what I can find. Just off the top of my head: multiple small layers glued (bonded) together to get the exact size¿? I would imagine the process of making the hex cut would be hard¿?

Edited by Arc 724

When I first read your post on this I thought the same thing. I'll see what I can find. Just off the top of my head: multiple small layers glued (bonded) together to get the exact size¿? I would imagine the process of making the hex cut would be hard¿?

I was thinking of using 3/4", cut out the shapes, then cut the sheet shapes in half to get the 3/8" thickness.

• Like 1