Sign in to follow this  
Watchman

3D Terrain Boards

So, project 2 is complete.  The terrain feature is assembled and painted.post-9266-0-85884900-1424321857_thumb.jpg

Project 3 is also complete, taking the easy way out and doing the simple ones first.

post-9266-0-72458300-1424322069_thumb.jpg

I will go back to project 4 and assemble that next then go back and paint project 1.

• Like 2

I checked out the article and he mentioned using a guide to cut the foam so I tried it with the map cut outs, and it does work with paper.  I only tried it on one section since I decided to continue to free hand it as it does give individualized layers of rock face.

• Like 1

On project 5: I cut the concrete area out as if it was an ice sheet on one of mine. If a mech falls thru the ice (always if it moves on it for me) I remove the ice and show a lake.  Any squad out on the ice is dunked.

• Like 1

On project 5: I cut the concrete area out as if it was an ice sheet on one of mine. If a mech falls thru the ice (always if it moves on it for me) I remove the ice and show a lake.  Any squad out on the ice is dunked.

Could you elaborate on this? It seems like an very intriguing idea but I am not wrapping my mind around phrases like "(always if it moves on it for me)". Most because I have not ever played mecha war games. 

That is a thought, I was not sure what to do with that area, possibly impassible rough terrain, quick sand, ???

Could you elaborate on this? It seems like an very intriguing idea but I am not wrapping my mind around phrases like "(always if it moves on it for me)". Most because I have not ever played mecha war games. 

Sounds like he is not very fortunate when he goes on the ice.

Right, squads and light vehicles might go on ice fine, but a Mech would always fall thru. At least when I run a game.  I'll see if I can dig it out to photograph.  Only about 10 boxes.

• Like 2

The bridge arrived, a KATO N scale railroad that has been modified by removing the track section (2 screws) and sawing off the hand railing on the far side of the bridge as you see it.  Once I get the painting done then I will glue everything down.  As you can see it is very tight quarters for the super heavies with the over hang of the Emperor and Thunderbirds, but stands to reason being BT boards.

post-9266-0-54454400-1425082418_thumb.jpg

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

I am working on projects 1 & 4.  I found the insulation will warp from moisture when gluing the map piece to the foam so they need to be compressed till dry.  This showed up where there was no weight and insufficient glue.post-9266-0-24177200-1425227125_thumb.jpg  I had to inject glue in the gaps and put a fairly heavy weight, in this case a can of thinner(not being used in this project).  So that is in the drying process.

I have found very close color matches to the BT map colors.post-9266-0-86365300-1425227027_thumb.jpg  I still need to find one more color that is close to the darker water color, something with a more purple tint to it.  I will check JoAnn Fabric and Michael's, where I get most of my paints.

So here is what I am using for this project:post-9266-0-67547700-1425227345_thumb.jpg

#12 M. Grumbacher brush for overall area painting, it flattens out well to push paint toward lower layers with glued on map pieces.

#7 Delta.s Master El Greco to do the road connections on the vertical surfaces.

#0 M. Grumbacher brush for any touch up spots.

Americana's Baby Blue, Graphite, & Dark Chocolate (to replace the Bisq-Stain Walnut);

Bisq-Stain's Walnut, & Terra Cotta;

Kimple Colors' Caramel

Looks like Americana's Blue Harbor color will suffice for the darker water color.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

Right, squads and light vehicles might go on ice fine, but a Mech would always fall thru. At least when I run a game.  I'll see if I can dig it out to photograph.  Only about 10 boxes.

I guess what I mean is: Why would they go out there if it is going to fall thru? It sounds like a great idea for a map but wouldn't a player just avoid it?