Sign in to follow this  
Watchman

3D Terrain Boards

Well, if I have no sections of armour that are gone (so my hull is intact and water proof) falling thru the ice just dunks and cools me, but the squad might not like dunking into freezing water in full kit.

• Like 3

And so, Project 1 is now complete:post-9266-0-07096700-1425527611_thumb.jpg

Project 4 about half way complete.  I have decided to fabricate bridges from the materials in the foreground, a T-beam style of bridge:post-9266-0-99452900-1425527789_thumb.jpg

And this is the start of Project 6:post-9266-0-76737900-1425527891_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the current status of Project 6 nearing completion.  Just needs painting.post-9266-0-94887300-1425609038_thumb.jpg

As for project 4, I am constructing two of the four bridges needed.  The three islands are painted and will post pictures when all is dried and assembled.

Bridges are assembled and have been painted.  The mounting positions have been carved out of the foam. I will, hopefully, get Project 4 assembled tonight, minus the other two connector bridges at either end.

The real challenge will be when I attempt to do the Base, as seen in "Merc Net Situation Report".

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

Project 4 is complete for the most part, until I build other boards to mate up to it, which could possibly mean several different types/lengths of bridges:post-9266-0-93806800-1425734918_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-42013300-1425735313_thumb.jpg

Project 6 is now complete, just need to work on making the Waterfalls more realistic:post-9266-0-28854900-1425735551_thumb.jpg

Project 7 & 8 will deal with more terrain while I look for materials to make the 11th. ACR's Base with.

I will head to the printers again and make more prints to put more of these together if I wanted an archipelago, or an area of all hills, a bigger base, etc. 

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

This is the current status of Project 7:post-9266-0-29692000-1425872444_thumb.jpg

This will be Project 8:post-9266-0-28093900-1425872720_thumb.jpg

I am brain storming a mountain range set of boards.  These will be 3, 4, 5' high with passes, possibly a  road winding through one of them with a bridge...  I have never been impressed with any mountain scenes to date as being "mountains", so now I will have mountains.  I will deal with storing them after the fact.

I think the mountain theme may take up four boards or more.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

Project 7 nearing completion.  Needs painting then to be glued to the Luan base:post-9266-0-23137900-1425958961_thumb.jpg

Project 8 patterns have been cut out:post-9266-0-95126700-1425959376_thumb.jpg

Projects 9 through 12 will be the mountains, rather daunting to say the least. I will try to draw it out to have some sort of general guide to work from.  Some CAVs will be restricted from certain paths due to their size.  If it physically cannot fit, then it cannot use that path.

• Like 3

and where do you find room to store all this terrain???   You must have a garrage full by now.

Would you believe I have not tackled that problem as yet?  I have two work shops that take up the second floor. One computer work shop and one game/train work shop.  Needless to say I am getting out of computers so that is where I will store them.  The computer room use to be a sewing room so it is setup with work tables along the walls.  As for the Mountains I am planning they will probably have to stay in the game room and store them on the train table that goes around the outside edge of the room.

The heavy stock maps could not be copied so the terrain for those just sits on the map boards.  Those parts I could store in a bag, if need be.

The Mountains will be limited to 3' 9", so that is 45" which gives us 45 levels, or 90 half levels to work with.

Edited by Watchman

man gaming night at your place must be something to see!

Stop by if you are ever down here.

NICE! HEy Watchman, I was actually thinking of storage solutions for you on this cause I want to do terrain like this too. First thing i thought of was like a Cafeterias Tray Racks. The idea came from seeming them at IKEA. Then i had a wild notion that if you had a game room with high ceiling you could use a pulley system to hang the racks and keep them out of the way while not in use. :) Shoot go head and attach a motor to that pulley system and boom!

Additionally, Your terrain is turning out brilliantly! I am super impressed by it.

man gaming night at your place must be something to see!

Stop by if you are ever down here.

NICE! HEy Watchman, I was actually thinking of storage solutions for you on this cause I want to do terrain like this too. First thing i thought of was like a Cafeterias Tray Racks. The idea came from seeming them at IKEA. Then i had a wild notion that if you had a game room with high ceiling you could use a pulley system to hang the racks and keep them out of the way while not in use. :) Shoot go head and attach a motor to that pulley system and boom!

Additionally, Your terrain is turning out brilliantly! I am super impressed by it.

Bingo!!! You just activated my brain cells.  In the former sewing room there is a storage cabinet that almost goes floor to ceiling I built for sewing projects with adjustable shelves, it currently holds Christmas and packing stuff. I will clear it out and take a picture of it.

• Like 2

AWESOME! Take a picture when you get it set up, i know I am not the only one that would like to to see it!

Here it is the newly created 3D Terrain Storage Depot.

post-9266-0-80895300-1426033312_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-02685100-1426033498_thumb.jpg

If I over lap them I can squeeze four across short side toward me.  I have six of the finished boards shown.  The ones on the left hand side are the heavy maps with the terrain just sitting on them, so I could fit many of that type in.

Now on to the project of cleaning up the house and finding a place for all the stuff that was there.

• Like 4

It will be a day or two to find a place for everything, or get rid of it, so in the mean time I thought I would throw out these ideas for four or more, possible with expansion boards. So check out these ideas I am working with or if you have any suggestions let me know.

post-9266-0-58144900-1426036359_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-70477300-1426036515_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-19013500-1426036793_thumb.jpg

• Like 1