Sign in to follow this  
Watchman

3D Terrain Boards

you need to get yourself or your saintly wife in the pictures for scale.   I say saintly cause mine would have had me certified and committed by halfway through this project.

:devil:

Well, you will see I cannot be committed as my former wife decided upon a different world to live in, other wise you would probably be correct in your statement.  So for now I can get away with doing these not having to answer to anyone for the moment, so I had better get these done while I can.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Here is the complete mountain, I stopped it at 40" for a bit bigger safety margin if I have to move it around.post-9266-0-81958600-1431140281_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-71500300-1431140486_thumb.jpg  Now I need to disassemble it to glue it together.  I will also tweak it a bit to make some spots flow better.

• Like 8

I hope you have the parts labelled or are going to assemble from the top down???

Some other way that I am incapable of thinking of right now because there is too much beer in my system to think like that??

Will there be more sculpting of the foam?  I mean to smooth it out or will the sides be straight with no umm...lost for words, hope you understand.

Again I say awesome sir.

I hope you have the parts labelled or are going to assemble from the top down???

Some other way that I am incapable of thinking of right now because there is too much beer in my system to think like that??

Will there be more sculpting of the foam?  I mean to smooth it out or will the sides be straight with no umm...lost for words, hope you understand.

Again I say awesome sir.

Thank you.   I have started assembly from the top for the individual peaks.  Then I will take everything else down to the base and start there.  Yes I will be doing more sculpting to get rid of abrupt changes that look like they should be flowing, squared edges that showed up that should not be there, and the two sides (Peaks face East and North towards the pass) I have been taking shots of, will have flat sides removed that should have a grade of some sort.   The South side will be flat as this is supposed to be a mountain range, so this gives me another possible direction to expand.  As for the West side, it is flat to mate with the other half of the three main peaks.  Once it is assembled I will have to determine a color to use that most closely resembles mountain rock.   I hope I fully answered your questions. 

• Like 1

Okay, it is glued and drying.  I have made some minor changes and additions.  Next step painting, I will check the hardware store and see what they have or maybe the paint store.

post-9266-0-20146500-1431228574_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-35600100-1431229310_thumb.jpg

Size reference: I am about 5' 10", the base starts at mid thigh and is about 6" taller than I stand.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 5

Don't I see snow on the tops of those peaks?

Well technically I am not sure I can get away with snow on a 410' peak, maybe if it were 1,500' or so I could justify it.

546' high in true N-scale.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Here is the completed Mountains first module.  I just finished painting it.  I will have to check it out tomorrow in day light as it looks like missed spots or it is just wet spots.

post-9266-0-89597100-1431312928_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-13773400-1431313441_thumb.jpg

So this will finish project 10.   So you will get a break from me until I pick up more foam board, probably the end of the week.

• Like 8

The painting does make it one cohesive unit.   well done... crazy... ambitious.. but very nice!

• Like 1

Here is a quick preview of Project 11, Mountain Module 3, which is the back side of the just completed mountain.post-9266-0-18595400-1431396258_thumb.jpg  

Just acquired eight more sheets of foam.  Now I can get back to work.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

Okay, I am back at it again.  There are some features I will try to incorporate into the mountains that were left over from creating the other peaks.  They look like they will make interesting chasms:post-9266-0-77789800-1432490486_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-25145600-1432490617_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-99434100-1432490739_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Once again I will find it challenging to match up the back half of Module 1's mountains.  Progress to date.  The paths shown are not necessarily the final positions they are just a gauge to determine the level I must reach.  I am thinking the foot path may end up being a series of short switchbacks.  Looking at the roadway it could be trouble if someone were taken out.  Maybe a rule for clearing wreckage?  Call in a Skycrane?  Any one have any thoughts on this?

post-9266-0-73169000-1432784040_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-28234000-1432784372_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here I am nearing the tunnel level:post-9266-0-30421700-1433105897_thumb.jpg  A ways to go to reach the foot path/vehicle/small CAVS.  A couple of overhead shots:post-9266-0-33270900-1433105627_thumb.jpgpost-9266-0-85319100-1433105722_thumb.jpg

Just a note: as you can see by the previous mountain not all sheets are the same thickness.  It will be interesting to see how this works out near the peaks.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3