Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Darkshade Raider (14609): first based mini (sort of)

Bobby Jackson's Darkshade Raider. Thought this mini was so cool; had a beast of a time painting it. But yeah. Still love her motion et al.

Also turned into my first messing around with basing, such as it is. Saw this stuff post-Christmas at Hobby Lobby, all marked down, some Santa's Village kind of stuff I guess, and thought it'd be useful for something. Didn't buy it, though. Then my wife went back the next week, saw it marked down even more, and snagged it for me. I married very well. Anyway, it's just a roll of felt-y plasticky whatevery stuff. I disassembled all but the top layer with the actual paving stones and then just glued it on, cut a hole for the tab, and bam. Democracy. Or something.

More crappy pictures (still the same batch as before with all the trouble I was having), and of course poor painting. But a lot of fun.

WP_20150204_014_zpsldi7it9b.jpg

WP_20150204_015_zpsolhzca1a.jpg

WP_20150204_018_zpstj5huyd8.jpg

WP_20150204_019_zpswqgowne8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 17

Being mounted that close to edge gives The Girl a TERRIFIC sense of motion. GREAT IDEA & WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 3

Nice mini and I agree with the comments on how you based her.  Nice dynamic positioning to take advantage of the pose.

You should give the mini a spray of matt finish which would help with the pictures.  camreas apparently dont get along with gloss that well.

• Like 1

Thanks, y'all.

You should give the mini a spray of matt finish which would help with the pictures.  camreas apparently dont get along with gloss that well.

That's on the to-do list. I tried some stuff from Wal*Mart that didn't go well (made everything shiny, despite the matte descriptor, and left Bones tacky). Aiming to grab some of the Testors stuff soon as I can get back to the Hobby Lobby.

• Like 1

Dude, you haven't seen bad painting... You should see the stuff I was doing back in the Testors enamel days - it looks like a five-year-old colored them with crayons. (Check this out... The three on othe left represent the first ten years of my painting career.)

Do you use some kind of magnification when you paint? My painting improved a lot once I started using a magnifier to see the details better - these days my old eyes can't even see half the details on my minis without a magnifier.

Awesome find on the basing material. That stuff is sweet (You could get a lot of mileage out of it by painting it different colors and maybe a little work aging/roughing it up with a knife or file.) How much of it did you score?

• Like 3

Great job with both the painting and the basing!

Do you happen to remember what that basing stuff was called? I might borrow that idea from you.

• Like 1

Do you happen to remember what that basing stuff was called? I might borrow that idea from you.

The product is called Lemax landscape accent. Normally sold every winter season at some hobby shops. Michael's I know sells the product. Towards Christmas the price will hover somewhere around 40% off. After Christmas, if the product is till available, it can range from 50-80% off. I purchased the 18x36 inch mat for around 10 after discount. Original price is $25. They also have a cobblestone version and a version where it is 3x12 inches. But Lemax is the brand name.

• Like 2

Dude, you haven't seen bad painting... You should see the stuff I was doing back in the Testors enamel days - it looks like a five-year-old colored them with crayons. (Check this out... The three on othe left represent the first ten years of my painting career.)

Do you use some kind of magnification when you paint? My painting improved a lot once I started using a magnifier to see the details better - these days my old eyes can't even see half the details on my minis without a magnifier.

Awesome find on the basing material. That stuff is sweet (You could get a lot of mileage out of it by painting it different colors and maybe a little work aging/roughing it up with a knife or file.) How much of it did you score?

I have a light/magnifier and, honestly, have more trouble with the magnifier than without it. I was really excited when I got it, but it quickly became unused. Except the light--I sit right under it. Just don't look through the glass.

A better means of magnifying is something I'll probably have to look at down the road.

And, I mean, I need new glasses, anyway, so yeah.

I got only two rolls of the basing stuff:

WP_20150104_002_zps07bebd3a.jpg

HOWEVER!

The product is called Lemax landscape accent. Normally sold every winter season at some hobby shops. Michael's I know sells the product. Towards Christmas the price will hover somewhere around 40% off. After Christmas, if the product is till available, it can range from 50-80% off. I purchased the 18x36 inch mat for around 10 after discount. Original price is $25. They also have a cobblestone version and a version where it is 3x12 inches. But Lemax is the brand name.

I don't think that's the stuff I got. This is much cheaper. Started at $5.99 a roll; I got it for less than a dollar a roll, when the wife bought it. It's also Mayberry Street by brand, I believe, and I think that may be Hobby Lobby specific. I believe these are smaller rolls, and perhaps of lesser quality, than what you're talking (I think 30-36" long but obviously not 18' wide). I don't know if it's available year around.

• Like 1

Ok, cool. Thank you for the info as well.

Regarding magnification, you may want to look into optivisor. I use one, and it's pretty awesome, IMO.

• Like 1