OVER COLLECTING/BUILDING (Does anyone else suffer from this malady?

catdancer

This posting (question) on this thread came about due to a (PM) message that I replied to a little while back!...I was wondering if there are other members/modelers out there who might suffer from this same malady (problem)...if so; how do/did you handle it? :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: 

Miniature figures...Over my many long years, I have seen a given miniature figure and loved it...the moment I saw it...had many visions/ideas as to a single figure, vignette or diorama usage and purchased it...placing it into my figure holding drawer (thus forgetting about it due to other current projects that I was involved in at the time)!...The months pass and when do my figure holding drawer survey (about once every 3 or 4 months)...I find the given figure!...I look at it, study it (but all the original love and enthusiasm are completely gone...as are the great visions/ideas of a single figure, vignette or diorama piece usage!...I just sit there with a stupid look on my face and ask myself..." why the h**l did I buy this piece "???  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: 

The figure is thrown into what I call my scrap box!...Over the years; I estimate that I have given away over 1000+ figures from this scrap box (people, creatures, dragons, etc...of all scales from 6mm to 54mm)!...I noted members talking about their backed up " work bench and/or their shelve of shame "...in regard to pieces that they have started and not yet finished...I also have such a backed up " work box "...but I limit it to (6) projects maximum...that I intend to finish!...If over months, these do not get my attention...they go straight into the scrap box (awaiting their final end/demise)!  :down:  :down:  :down:

I fear that I differ from many of the members on this great site and their love for painting miniature figures...in the sense that I love painting a miniature figure...only if it has a purpose!...For me to just sit down and paint a figure (with no given reason or purpose) gives me no pleasure, enjoyment and/or satisfaction!...It just seems to be a robotic exercise of splashing color on to a piece of metal!...The (purpose) of a figure and the painting of it is what gives me the pleasure, enjoyment and/or satisfaction...it is the story...the mystic...the visions...of that given piece that drive and motivate me!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Miniature buildings/terrain...Over the years...I have also built over a 100 pieces of buildings and terrain...with the intent of using them on the table top for gaming but about 90%+ have never once seen a gaming table...again winding up in another scrap box...Understand that these are not detailed vignette or diorama pieces; but quickly built table top game play items!...I usually wind up giving them to local shops, clubs or individuals...or just throwing them in the trash!  :down:  :down:  :down:

So I am asking the members...how many of you out there suffer from this same type of malady and how do/did you cope with the matter?

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect many many more figures than what i will ever paint in my life. Some of it is to support a company or person i like and others are all about stoking my artistic vision. I drag out my boxes of unfinished figures and poke around finding just the perfect piece for what i want to do right then. So i don't worry about it. I think of it as just feeding something that i love doing.

• Like 8

Yes, I do. And I still haven't figured out an effective way to cope with it.

The smart-arsed answer would be that I got a better job, so I can eventually get a house and therefore have someplace to store it all.

The more serious answer is that I am going to be starting a major purge sometime in the near future. Towards that end I'm going through my stuff and figuring out if I'm ever going to 'get around ' to it. If there's even a small hope, it stays. If not, it goes. I can see myself repeating this cycle several times.

Don't tell anyone, but it's also the reason I came up with the 'Box o' Goodwill' idea; I'm getting rid of stuff that I'm never going to use, and it's going to someone that (hopefully) will.

• Like 8

You are certainly not the only one with this problem. I have several boxes with miniatures and scenery I build and never painted / used.

I made a modular dungeon and never used it. Bought minis that I now think wtf was I thinking.

Now I only buy mini's if I have a use for them in the next 1 or 2 projects. At least I try to, doesn't always work.

• Like 4

I haven't been painting all that long, so it could be I haven't run into this. But I do have a large collection of video games I haven't played. While it can be depressing when I think of how much money they cost, I like to think of it as they are waiting for me whenever I want to play them. And I can always play them when I retire.

Anytime you have a vision of what you want to do with a mini, it is wise to write it down. I'd suggest keeping the notes (or a copy of these notes or an index of the minis and where the notes are) digitally and include the figure names so you can search them when you run across the miniature again. A sketch of a scene you have in mind or some colors splashed on a page can also help you not lose your ideas. Save any images that help you with inspiration--these could be other miniatures, photos of nature/architecture/etc, or other types of art. Lots of artists (and writers) keep notes or quick sketches of things they want to do, but don't have time for (or don't have the skills yet). It may help you re-find the passion you had for the mini or spark a new idea for it.

Edit: Proofread fail (typos, poor word choice)

Edited by FireElemental
  • Like 7

You could probably have a lot of fun doing ebay with some of those things Catdancer.

Given your dislike for some forms of electronic transactions...that could be problematic. There was a business here locally that would ebay items on consignment, they fuss with ebay for the seller, get a share of the proceeds for their trouble.

I guess you checked the forgotten figs drawer for candidate figures for the bayou?

• Like 4

The figure is thrown into what I call my scrap box!...Over the years; I estimate that I have given away over 1000+ figures from this scrap box (people, creatures, dragons, etc...of all scales from 6mm to 54mm)....

You could be a box starter for this box-of-goodwill exchange/swap thing Chaoswolf started. PM ub3rn3rd or CW about participating.

• Like 4

I collect many many more figures than what i will ever paint in my life. Some of it is to support a company or person i like and others are all about stoking my artistic vision. I drag out my boxes of unfinished figures and poke around finding just the perfect piece for what i want to do right then. So i don't worry about it. I think of it as just feeding something that i love doing.

Dontfear;...thanks for your comments and feedback!...I don't worry about my malady...I was just curious to see if other members suffer this same problematic fixation because after a while...the purchase/cost of (10 miniature figures) adds up...especially if (8 or 9) wind up in a " trash/scrap box "...I am not what you would call an " actual collector "  of miniature figures!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 3

Hell, both times the first box o' goodwill came through this area I dumped stuff in it - and I wasn't even on the list. At a rough guess I'd say I've probably tossed Aard_Rynn somewhere between 20-30 minis just to get them out of my boxes. Part of the reason I began teaching my friend's kid to paint is to get rid of some of my remaining Bones from the first KS - I literally gave away about half my vampire box to various people because I didn't have a use for them or they weren't interesting... I've narrowed down my "never gonna paint" box by almost half in the past couple of years.  Oh, and I'm also currently sculpting stuff like a madman in order to blow through three packages of brownstuff that are at least six to eight years old, all of which is getting shuffled off to other people because I don't game and don't have the space to display things like a really nice hand-sculpted set of 28mm stairs or a pile of skulls... :rolleyes:

One of my defining character flaws is that I start dozens of things that I never finish. I don't have a single "project" box, but I do have half-finished or never-started projects lying around all over the place - if you think you get ideas, you should visit the inside of my head sometime, lol. On a slow day, I come up with three to five new projects I'd like to start.

Some of my current "someday" projects that have actually been started (and that I can see from where I'm sitting) include: a recreation of the "You Shall Not Pass!" scene with Gandalf and the Balrog using old-school Partha minis, recreating the Fellowship using Reaper minis, a diorama of Weathertop - now with the Bones DDS2 terrain, lol, a conversion of one of the Reaper trolls with the head replaced with the turret of a 15mm sci-fi tank for a "Weird War II" scene where the Nazis messing around with the occult actually open a door to Jotunheim and use cybernetics and magic to create cyborg war machines, building The Keep on the Borderlands (although all the wood for that project has since been appropriated for other things), building both a large fountain and a wooden ship from wooden bits I found at a craft shop, a wizard's house, another wizard's room based on a line drawing Siri posted here some time ago, and several conversion scenes of an "adult" nature that will never be seen by anyone on these boards, lol...

So, um, yeah... I feel ya, man. Bigtime. ::(:

(We won't even talk about how many non-mini projects I 've got half-started and shelved - everything from furniture to Photoshop...)

• Like 5

Yes, I do. And I still haven't figured out an effective way to cope with it.

The smart-arsed answer would be that I got a better job, so I can eventually get a house and therefore have someplace to store it all.

The more serious answer is that I am going to be starting a major purge sometime in the near future. Towards that end I'm going through my stuff and figuring out if I'm ever going to 'get around ' to it. If there's even a small hope, it stays. If not, it goes. I can see myself repeating this cycle several times.

Don't tell anyone, but it's also the reason I came up with the 'Box o' Goodwill' idea; I'm getting rid of stuff that I'm never going to use, and it's going to someone that (hopefully) will.

Chaoswolf;...thanks for your comments and feedback!...Glad to see that there are others who share my malady!...That is why my " surprise Sophie Santa " gifts are so packed...in the hope that the recipient will find use for figures that I will never ever paint and/or use.

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 4

So I am asking the members...how many of you out there suffer from this same type of malady and how do/did you cope with the matter?

Paul (Catdancer)

I too, suffer from this.  I've slowed down my intake of models and started painting more than I buy, and it helps.  

• Like 4

You are certainly not the only one with this problem. I have several boxes with miniatures and scenery I build and never painted / used.

I made a modular dungeon and never used it. Bought minis that I now think wtf was I thinking.

Now I only buy mini's if I have a use for them in the next 1 or 2 projects. At least I try to, doesn't always work.

minibart;...thanks for your comments and feedback!...I have reached that same exact point...I now only buy figures that I have an immediate and/or very near future usage for...but the negative aspect of this is...the problems I have encountered in currently trying to find/secure/obtain specific miniatures for my bayou diorama project...I have sat with that stupid look on my face asking myself the same question...wtf did I buy this miniature for!!!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 2

I haven't been painting all that long, so it could be I haven't run into this. But I do have a large collection of video games I haven't played. While it can be depressing when I think of how much money they cost, I like to think of it as they are waiting for me whenever I want to play them. And I can always play them when I retire.

Anytime you have a vision of what you want to do with a mini, it is wise to write it down. I'd suggest keeping the notes (or a copy of these notes or an index of the minis and where the notes are) digitally and include the figure names so you can search them when you run across the miniature again. A sketch of a scene you have in mind or some colors splashed on a page can also help you not lose your ideas. Save any images that help you with inspiration--these could be other miniatures, photos of nature/architecture/etc, or other types of art. Lots of artists (and writers) keep notes or quick sketches of things they want to do, but don't have time for (or don't have the skills yet). It may help you re-find the passion you had for the mini or spark a new idea for it.

Edit: Proofread fail (typos, poor word choice)

FireElemental;...thanks for your comments and feedback!...Whenever I purchase/purchased a new figure that I had great ideas/visions for...I always made a number of sketch drawings with varied notations (with great enthusiasm)...these went up on my poster board and sat there because I was involved in other projects at the time!...By the time (several months later) I get around to a set of drawn sketches...they tend to be empty abstract drawings...the enthusiasm, inspiration, feeling, passion are all gone...so your idea/suggestion of sketches/notes really does not resolve the malady.

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 1

The figure is thrown into what I call my scrap box!...Over the years; I estimate that I have given away over 1000+ figures from this scrap box (people, creatures, dragons, etc...of all scales from 6mm to 54mm)....

You could be a box starter for this box-of-goodwill exchange/swap thing Chaoswolf started. PM ub3rn3rd or CW about participating.

TPG;...thanks for your comments and feedback!...You are correct in my dislike for places like ebay and other such electronic media outlets...I never have and never will resort to them!...As far as being a " box-of-goodwill " starter...I don't want the headaches of all that goes with being such a starter...I have in the past communicated with ub3r in regard to my taking part in his in some form or fashion!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 3