• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I homebrew. It's really addictive once you get the hang of it.

Once one knows what one is doing, and once one begins to master the idea of flavor.

I speak not of you, but of myself.

• Like 2

My wife is a homebrewer. Mostly German Wheats, Stouts, Porters. She's done at least one German Alt; she was disappointed, but I liked it. She also made a clone of Theakston's Old Peculier when the local distributors stopped bringing it in. It rocked. There've been others. She's been doing it since the mid '90s. She does the recipes, while I do the heavy lifting and capping. There is one large cabinet in the garage devoted to her equipment : brew buckets, carboys, siphons, tubing, chemical sanitizers, and a myriad of other bits. She makes five gallons at a time.

I married well...

Glen

• Like 6

I used to brew, but it's one of my many hobbies that have gone by the wayside for lack of time. I've done beer a time or two, but my favorite things to brew were apfelwein - a German-style apple wine, something like a hard cider - and mead.

I tried to make beer once. Tasted awful. Turned out it was 130 proof.

I am honestly curious how you would have achieved such a result, assuming you're being accurate and not hyperbolic. I can't think of a yeast - other than maybe the specially bred "turbo yeasts" for brewing mash intended for distillation into liquor - that could achieve that kind of a result.  

I know a lady, that knows a lady that distills our moonshine.

Mmmmmm

I would love to get into distilling my own booze, but when you add the aforementioned time issues with regular, legal home brewing to the necessities of equipment and location, and the issues with Johnny Law... :down:  

My wife is a homebrewer. Mostly German Wheats, Stouts, Porters. She's done at least one German Alt; she was disappointed, but I liked it. She also made a clone of Theakston's Old Peculier when the local distributors stopped bringing it in. It rocked. There've been others. She's been doing it since the mid '90s. She does the recipes, while I do the heavy lifting and capping. There is one large cabinet in the garage devoted to her equipment : brew buckets, carboys, siphons, tubing, chemical sanitizers, and a myriad of other bits. She makes five gallons at a time.

I married well...

Glen

You did. :B):
  • Like 1

I used to make mead, but got to the point where I couldn't drink it fast enough (conflicts with medication) so I gave it up. Last year a friend introduced me to chocolate port, and I did a case of that. It will probably take years to drink it all.

• Like 1