• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I homebrew. It's really addictive once you get the hang of it.

I discovered the same thing when I set up my meth lab . . .  Sorry, couldn't resist . . .

I'm more of a cider guy these days, and wouldn't mind working through the brewing process for my own knowledge.  My problem is that I just haven't got the time or the space to devote to yet another hobby.

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 1

I'm planning to open a commercial meadery in the next 3 years.. with any luck...

Keep us posted. I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Seconded!  I don't have the space/time to make my own mead any more, not that I'd gotten to the point where I was reliably getting good results.  My 23 year old son wants to start making mead, maybe I'll just help him with it.  ^_^

I used to dream of having enough land that I could start a bit of an apple orchard with cider varietals, maybe a bee hive of my own too.  Not looking like it's going to happen any time soon, so we'll see. 

• Like 1

I'm planning to open a commercial meadery in the next 3 years.. with any luck...

That's cool. We have a local brewery that is done out of the peoples house. They have tap room hours and you just go to their house and sample beer and hang out. They are very successful around here. Most supermarkets and grocery stores in our area carry their beers. Good luck.

• Like 1

One of the guys I work with used the money from his last deployment as the seed money for his brewery. Horny Toad Brewing Company in Rowena, TX. He makes a darned good porter and a great IPA (and I am not a big fan of IPAs).

I'm not a fan of the current trend in IPA (hop it till you can't hop it any more).  There are still some good ones, but I've stopped trying new ones because the odds of me liking one have grown too small.

• Like 3

Lack of space is the main reason I only do gallon batches. A couple jugs and small container for tubing and other supplies is all it takes up. I use a regular stock pot for making the wort, a camp stove I already had to cook it on (started out on our glass top stove but that didn't work very well), and 10 bottles. It isn't until you get into the bigger batches that you really need space.

Regarding IPAs, that's exactly how I feel. I don't want my teeth kicked in with hops.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 2