Home Brewers

Sergeant_Crunch

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I've heard it is that the over-the-hop (hah) IPA stuff comes from it being easier to make for home/small brewers. When the homebrew thing kicked off again in the 90s, many were making pale ales and the cultured palate was toward hoppy beer.

I was talking to a local small brewer who is saving for some equipment to make some dark german beers- a larger and better cooling unit, iirc; german darks are very temperature sensitive. I prefer dunkels and dopplebocks so I'm looking forward to some of his growlers.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm planning to open a commercial meadery in the next 3 years.. with any luck...

I hope you can keep your quality up.

The nice thing about mead is there's very little chance for something to go wrong once you have figured out your proportions..  yeast strains for wine/mead are fairly consistent.. and x honey + y yeast = Z almost every time.  the only time you run into risks is using fresh fruit because of the possibility of wild yeasts.. if you prep the fruit properly its less of a risk, but wild yeast is always a factor.. its also one reason i don't bake bread at home..

• Like 2

I'm planning to open a commercial meadery in the next 3 years.. with any luck...

I hope you can keep your quality up.

The nice thing about mead is there's very little chance for something to go wrong once you have figured out your proportions..  yeast strains for wine/mead are fairly consistent.. and x honey + y yeast = Z almost every time.  the only time you run into risks is using fresh fruit because of the possibility of wild yeasts.. if you prep the fruit properly its less of a risk, but wild yeast is always a factor.. its also one reason i don't bake bread at home..

I was referring to the fact that it's extremely difficult to buy mead that's as good as the stuff you can get for free.

• Like 2

I like IPA, when brewed well.  I enjoy the bitterness and floral/citrus notes in a nice crisp IPA.  It's my preferred beverage during the summer months.  On the other hand, I also love stouts, which can also be quite bitter (especially imperials, which I love).  I just find one celebrates the hops, the other celebrates the malts.  But both celebrate the beer :bday:

There is a huge difference between poorly crafted, weak and bitter swill, and a properly crafted beer made to be bitter.

My first, favorite bitter was Gritty McDuff's, a local Portland, ME brewery.  I found them back in the early 90's in college.  It was great.  The bonus was, everyone thought it tasted horrible, because they thought Busch and Rolling Rock was good beer, and didn't understand what real flavor was.  So I could store the beer and have no fear of people stealing it.

• Like 4