Meady

The Sunless Citadel

Dane listens to the Yuan-Ti and tries to recall anything about a sunless citadel, however nothing comes to mind. He waits to see what his travelling companions have to say before he says anything.

If only I had one Stone Company of the Axes of Clangeddin, we could get out of this predicament.

"Sunless Citadel? Never heard of it. Is it some kind of evil temple where your kind worship dark gods and sacrifice babies?"

"And what if we refuse your request?"

At your statement the Yuan-Ti gives a hiss of annoyance.

"The Sunless Citadel was a temple of some god a long time ago. It sunk below the ground and is now inhabited by horrid annoying little creatures which I myself have no time for whatsoever. My ranks have tried before but they can't get past the hordes of creatures inside. I can supply you with a map. You don't really have a choice master dwarf. If you wish to refuse I shall slay you all and the works of you will be fed to my pet belowground."

"Your tactics lizard about as subtle as I would imagine of your kind. Have you tried going to a cleric for healing? There are those that would heal souls as black as yours or your friends. Money is as important to faith for many of the cloth."

"Besides, have you taken a look at me and all my glory? Do you think I, Durgo, could resist a tasty treat like an apple? Just thinking of the lucious juicy fruit makes me hunger."

"I should hope for your health that if you do decide to do this errand for me that you don't eat the apple. If you do this and don't return, I will send the assassins my kind is so famous for. If I were you I would suggest that you do this and return with my apple. If you payed attention master Durgo you would have heard me say that the apple was not for me. However if you do this you will get your reward and a powerful ally"

The snakeman seems to be growing impatient.

"Then think on this, Commander Gareth.

"You order the folk that have attacked the road, at least this morning. Most folk you raid should be rather poor. I have an inherent conflict with this, Commander. My goddess commands me protect travellers and aid all I find to be in need. Thus, I am favorably disposed to help, but not favorably disposed to accept the stolen valuables of travellers as payment.

"But I will complete your quest and aid the health of your friend...if you will keep your brigands from highwaymanry for 1 month per each of us - beginning with me - that foregoes your payment of gold.

"Provide travellers - all travellers on any road or direction, of any race or kind - free passage from yourself and anyone you can order or influence. That is a reward that I could accept in payment.

"I know you want this done. The question is: are you willing to offer only things that you value, or are you willing to offer something valuable to those with whom you negotiate?"

A cold fire burns in the eyes of the dwarf as he glares at Gareth and growls, "I already have a powerful ally. His name is Clangeddin Silverbeard, the Rock of Battle, the Father of all Battles, and he is more powerful than you will ever be, snakeman! However, it seems that at the monent we are left with little choice but to accept your offer."

Unless my companions think it better to stand and die here.

Ball looks at her companions postureing uselessly before the sname-man and his orcish ally, she seems to be contemplateing things for a time then nods to herself, growing a small smile over her face..

"Ball will do this for the payment plus one more thing."

"Do this for no gold! My companion is ill, but I will give half my share for two weeks. I will bring your apple back, but know today that you also made a powerful enemy."

Durgo begins to walk toward the exit and then turns back, "You should not look so smug my scaled friend. I could grapple you to the ground while my friends bash your brains in. We would surely die afterward, but it would make you no less dead. You should be careful when you corner an animal, you never know how it will react. When can we leave?"

"It seems to me I have decided this. For one month, my men steal nothing, that is the payment for you my lady. The rest of you want money. This seems fair enough to me. Now, I have a few items in which I can barter with you before you go. Also, I have a seceret passage that will take you to Oakhurst much faster than your feet, if you trust me enough. I would hold your tongue master Durgo, for it might get you killed."

He strokes the ear of his white tiger pet and awaits the answer to his proposal.

I must speak with Angus after this. He makes me proud to hear him speak of his ally Clanggedin. I should never hesitate myself to shout my Goddess' worth this way. She thinks to herself.

"I am satisfied with the deal we have struck. As for barter...what is it you were wanting to trade? I assume they are things you would trade to us because you want our mission to be successful and these things seem to you to be possibly useful in our journey?"

"This is correct priestess. I have some magical potions of many types. To be exact I have 3 potions that can cure someone, one that makes them climb on the wall like a spider, and another that makes them faster than they normally would go. Also I have some minor objects such as torches and some travelling gear"

"Yes, let us be rid of this lizard. " Looking over at Ball, Durgo continues, "I agree with the wild one, let us finish this in the most expeditious manner possible."

"It seems we have little need for items then. "

"Most of us are experienced travellers equipped for the road already, after all. "

"Perhaps then you can simply supply us with the information we need to complete our mission, like how to find this citadel any maps or hints you may have about the route to this fruit, and, of course, if you wish us to succeed, anything you know about what dangers we may face would be helpful. The better we might prepare magics against these dangers, the more successful we may be on our quest."

Aeolene eagerly listens - and takes written notes - of anything the Snake-man can tell her, then speaks one more time:

"And of course, a few have not yet spoken about barter - is there anyone that hasn't spoken who would wish to trade for these items?"