Sign in to follow this  
Meady

The Sunless Citadel

After some bickering between Ball and Durgo, and drinks all around plus the food the party is generally sleepy. They head to free rooms which were appointed to them and attempt a sleep that is somewhat hard, considering it is still somewhat early in the day. The night brings forth nigtmares and tossing and turning. Aeolene wakes up sometime throughout the night to the sound of a clicking outside her window. With sleepy eyes she looks outside into the darkness to see hideous red eyes poing out from under a black hood. Upon seeing Aeolene wake up, the thing slowly walks backward into the darkness and disappears from view. The rest of her night is spent in a state between sleep and alertness. In the morning, the whole party wakes up and meets in the tavern for a large complementary breakfast. The morning, unlike the other is dreary and rain pours down out of the sky.

"Durgo, you always find ways to make me laugh," the tall priest chuffs out in bright, ringing tones between moments of pure laughter. "Hide from a blessing of the Empress! That is too much..."

Only then does she notice that she is the only one treating Durgo's comment with such levity.

"Oh, friend, I'm sorry. Did I mistake your meaning? I certainly didn't mean to do so. This shower it...well, I suppose it means something different to me than to you. Maybe I will teach you to love and respect her power and blessing in time, but until then, think of this: The Sunless Citadel is below the earth, and not subject to rain. We can escape the water precisely by travelling - not sitting still. "

"And besides," the bright woman adds while her eyes flash with distant lighting, "early in the dark morning a hooded figure with two red eyes attempted to force its way through my window. The bandits know we are here, and they know you do not wish to complete the compact. I will not say that your sentiment is a bad one, friend orc. I admire the honor of it. But it might not have been prudent to announce that we may not keep our oath before a room of townspeople who have told us they have spies in their midst. At this point, any delay might convince the serpent-abomination that we are more useful to him as an example of his powers of retribution rather than a tool to gain healing for his lover. If we cease being useful to him, we may not live to leave this area...

"My Mistress' grace is powerful indeed, but I am a humble Acolyte and her greater powers are unsummonable by such as me. I do not think I could defeat that snake-man.

"Unless we truly believe we could face down ambush, I suggest we enter this cursed citadel today - as soon as we may after morning prayers and the breaking of night-fast.

"How do the rest of you feel on this issue?"

"Perhaps we should take some time to study the map we were given and see how long the journey will take us. Also are there any special preperations we need make or purchases we need to buy. I for one am concerned at the name sunless citadel for it implies a lack of light in which case do we have enough lanterns to light our way and for how long. There is little to be gained by setting out unprepared."

"Oh, lanterns! Yes...I suppose they might be needed. Are there many of you who cannot see underground?" The question Aeolene asks is naive, if not insulting, but there is no wounding tone to her voice. Instead she speaks merely from innocent ignorance having been raised among a people for whom light merely added color and richness to the world - it held no power to give or deprive sight...

Ball listens to the prisestess speack her godspeak with somthing that resembles a smile. It's hard not to smile when she speaks words of such positive energy... even when they are talking about the rain. However, her words regarding the intruder in the night... that is not so good.

"Ball thinks we should get moveing then. Ball thinks we can decide to do what to do with the apple once we get it."

Angus comes in from his morning prayers, shaking the rain off his cloak. "It's about time you lot were up, I thought you would sleep all day."

He grins and then his face grows darker when he hears of the intruder. "What's that? A hooded figure with glowing eyes? It didn't harm anyone, I hope?"

"Innkeep! Anyone else see anything strange last night?"

It comes to your attention that when the innkeep went into the back room to get your morning drinks he never came back. Apart from that the inn is strangely empty this morning, apart from a few who sit around.

Ball stands up from where she was sitting by the fire and walks quietly and softly tworrd the kitchen, hungry and curious... not to mention getting paranoid.

As ball reaches the door and turns the knob, the pressure on the door becomes stronger and it flys open, knocking ball to the ground, shortly after the lifeless corpse of the innkeep falls out onto her.

Ball stares up at the corpse on top of her, blinking rapidly. It has been a long, long time since anything has made the halfling scream, but this nearly did it. Nearly. She grunts with the effort it takes to push the body off of her, and she is very slow in reacting to whatever else may be comeing through the door after the corpse. That and she's on top of her hammer.