Sign in to follow this  
etherial

GW Shades too glossy?

I've been unable to find my old paints so I went out and got new ones. I'd had good experience with GW paints in the past and did not see any reviews indicating that there was any reason to change, so I bought a bunch of their newer paints and shades. The thing is, the shades are supposed to be matte and every time I use them, they come out crazy glossy. This was kinda convenient when painting the scales on my Bones Snakeman Warrior, but usually when I put black into the dark recesses of a wizard's robes, I want it to swallow light, not reflect it. This could represent a change in how GW formulated their products, a different reaction to Bonesium than other materials, or some technical nuance I've forgotten/accidentally gotten out of the habit of doing.

Any suggestions for how I can get my shading less glossy?

Edited by etherial

Apply matte sealer when you are done? I usually do one, sometimes two coats of gloss sealer followed by matte. There is a bit of shine compared to just matte paint, but isn't that noticeable.

You could also get a matte medium to mix the paints with.

• Like 1

I always find that any paint on bones turns super glossy when watered down.  Washes are no exception.  GW makes an outstanding product, Lahmian medium.  It is the mattest matte I have ever seen.  Its so good.  I cannot recommend it enough if you want just 0 shine.

• Like 2

I always find that any paint on bones turns super glossy when watered down.  Washes are no exception.  GW makes an outstanding product, Lahmian medium.  It is the mattest matte I have ever seen.  Its so good.  I cannot recommend it enough if you want just 0 shine.

Thanks for confirming that it's probably not me. Have you tried mixing it with your washes or applying it as a separate layer? Which worked better?

Edited by etherial
  • Like 1

Thanks for confirming that it's probably not me. Have you tried mixing it with your washes or applying it as a separate layer? Which worked better?

I find a separate layer works the best.  put it on thin and do two layers if needed.  Don't over work it either, you could introduce surface texture that way.  

• Like 3

I just give my minis a spray of Dullcote when I'm done, I don't really worry about the glossiness of certain paints while I'm working. I often use gloss varnishes midway through before I apply washes so they'll run a bit smoother. Dullcote gets rid of the shiniest of stuff and I've even had luck in getting it to unfrost other matte sealants. 

I've been playing around with premixed washes/glazes from GW, Vallejo, and Secret Weapon recently. I have found them to be pretty glossy indeed, on both metal miniatures and Bones! I generally use several of the brands at once, so I can't say which is most or least guilty on the gloss front. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that GW washes were always glossy.  My Coat D'Arms, which used to be the old school citadel in the 90's, are glossy.  So if there was a time they were matte, it was between then and now. 

• Like 2

I had to use a thin layer of Vallejo Glaze Medium to knock out the shine from some deep shadows on a couple of miniatures I've been painting.  It worked very well.

I also have 15 ml dropper bottle full of a Daler-Rowney Glaze Medium Matt that I mixed up to a thin consistency. It is sold in a 75ml artist's tube so originally has a heavy body consistency and when thinned down, also works well. Since it's a medium it won't be as robust a barrier to the elements and being knocked around as would a varnish.  ( as would the other mediums previously mentioned, I presume).

As to the new GW paint, I have no idea as to what any potential issue is.  Did you vigorously shake them up before use? Over thin? Mix another additive that turns paint glossy?  I bet some folk over on a GW specific forum Dakka-Dakka or Bolter and Chainsword  fex. would be able to shed some light on your situation.

You can buy liquid matte medium from art supply companies like Liquitex and Golden. For after painting de-glossing, nothing beats Dullcote spray for matteness in my experience. (One recent miniature that I used a lot of those pre-mixed glazes and washes on required several coats to beat back the shiny!)

• Like 1

You can buy liquid matte medium from art supply companies like Liquitex and Golden. For after painting de-glossing, nothing beats Dullcote spray for matteness in my experience. (One recent miniature that I used a lot of those pre-mixed glazes and washes on required several coats to beat back the shiny!)

I have used the matte mediums from Liquitex, Golden and Blick, and paint on Testors Dullcote and Glosscote. I think Golden is the best. There are numerous other finishing mediums that range from matte to semi-gloss to gloss. I tend to use different ones on different areas or paints as needed. If you just want to make the entire mini matte Testor's Dullcote spray is a great product, but it can be very matte and can make some colors too matte in my opinion.