Okay so this is the first metal mini I've ever painted....and actually the second mini I've ever painted in my life...Try not to laugh! xP

post-13522-0-16070600-1424113610_thumb.jpg

post-13522-0-89108800-1424113748_thumb.jpg

Yes I know its horrible...I actually wanted to ask how to do the eyes? I dont have a brush that can get that fine of a point!

Edited by CashWiley
Added tags
  • Like 20

Holy crap i suck! - I am ten minis in and have yet to make anything even close to this level of awesome - you are brave to have attempted a mini with so much detail and you did it VERY well

lots of good tutorials on eyes ranging from simple to complicated so i will leave that advice to our more experienced colleagues

really fantastic delineation between all the small bits - you should be proud!

• Like 1

Nice job.  I wish my second mini had looked as good.  Looking at the detail work on the shield I think you might be able to use the same brush to do the eyes.  A little paint on just the tip of the brush should work fine.  You can always practice on a piece of paper/cardboard first.

• Like 1

Awesome!!! Welcome to the forums and the miniature madness!  Thanks for sharing!  In terms of eyes, there's a great tutorial here, and I recommend a 1 or 0 sable or kolinsky watercolor brush.  that will usually get you a fine enough point.  if you are unable to get that type of brush, thin a few drops of you paint down with a bit of water, dip just the tip of your brush in it and brush off the excess paint before applying it to the mini.  This will generally let you get a dot for the eye.  Excellent work with the colors, very smooth painting and a nice clean job overall.  Excellent!!

• Like 1

Not laughing at all. Far from terrible it looks pretty good. A little 'flat' as there does not seem any highlights or shadows painted in, but that, like eyes and everything else takes practice and experience to develop. The shield is especially good, you managed to get a very nice clean job on the stag head

• Like 1

Love it! Some people use really fine sharpy markers for eyes which is super cool. Another option is thin line of black then thin line of white over that leaving black border then those black or whatever color dots you would want for the eye color/

hey I didn't know there was a reindeer on the shield! Due to wife reasons couldn't pick up this year =(

Next year however...

The truth is that eyes can actually be most easily painted with a good-quality brush of a moderate size. Corporea's suggestion of a W&N S7 size 0 or 1 is spot on. All good brushes will come to a razor-sharp point, regardless of size, but bigger brushes will hold paint for longer before it dries out, especially when compared to something like a needle. Most painters find that ultra-small 'detail' brushes (anything smaller than, say, 00) don't actually help. (In fairness, some very good painters do swear by them, but I think they are in the minority). People have all sorts of tricks, but very little will actually be easier than a good brush and a steady hand. (And those won't hurt elsewhere either!) Developing your brush control to the point where you can paint eyes will make the rest of your painting even better as well, so it's best not to give yourself that crutch. Here's a good tutorial once you've got your brush situation sorted out.

That said, this is a very solid first mini. Like others said, with some highlights and shading, this could be a solid tabletop-quality piece. Your brush control in particular is very good; I don't see a dot out of place. Great work!

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 2

What Cash and Slendertroll said is great advice - a good brush will help a lot.  I have a Raphael 8606 (I think the number is right,) I think I paid 15$ for it on Amazon, but it might have been closer to $20.  The thing is amazing - does fine detail work as well as broad strokes.  There are a number of posts here about "Kolinsky Sable" brushes, read them over and make your own decision there.  That actually does help quite a bit.

As far as everything else goes, read the stuff on the forums and tutorials.  You've got a great grasp on the basics - your lines are clean and you're putting the paint where you want it.  The next step is getting everything to look less "flat" and realistic - that's shading.  Look around at what other people do, but the most important thing is to have fun.

• Like 1