Sign in to follow this  
morari

Bones II: Goroloth Stand?

The Kraken Goroloth is quite huge.  I have the metal one.  The base is not overkill.

There has been no indication that Bones will become available in Boneyard.  Mostly due to how they are manufactured.  There are multiple items on a single mold.  You can't simply toss the extra casts back into the crucible for an infinitesimal loss of 100% recyclable material, like you can with metal.  The plastic used in the injection molding can be recycled, but only at a VERY small percentage.  The Boneyard works for metal production because they can spin up the item that is needed, on demand, and toss the extra metal back into the crucible without a loss of material.

This was asked quite a bit after Bones I because of Kaladrax' base being so awesome.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 7

Kaladrax' base would be pretty nice as a stand alone item. I'd love more terrain in general.

I do wonder whether we'll see the DDS Ruins available separately though, since the option was there during the Kickstarter itself.

If they were cast on a separate mold, I could see that being the case.  Otherwise, for every set of ruins sold, there's an unsold dragon lying about Reaper's warehouse.

A dragon's for life, not just for Hogswatch.

• Like 4

If they were cast on a separate mold, I could see that being the case.  Otherwise, for every set of ruins sold, there's an unsold dragon lying about Reaper's warehouse.

A dragon's for life, not just for Hogswatch.

If they just had one mold, but were willing to sell Dragon's Don't Share separately, I think the dragons would easily find homes, but many of the ruins would end up in foster care.

Since they sold them separately during the kickstarter, I figure they have them split into five molds at the least.

• Like 1

This the metal stand that was with the metal version:

P03230F: Stand

P03230G: Stand Base

Same base as the metal Deva & allot of CAV figures as well. Might be a tad bit overkill for Bones, but still a nice base.

• Like 2

This the metal stand that was with the metal version:

P03230F: Stand

P03230G: Stand Base

Games Workshop has a variety of clear plastic bases for flying units if one is interested in such things.

I'm sure you could get them from Litko or similar companies for far less than GW would charge.

Litko charges less, but their bases aren't as nice to my eye. YMMV.

Though if you flip the Goroloth over, there *is* a convenient mounting hole on the underside.

Really?  We're just gonna let this one go without comment?  Eh, okay.   :poke:  :lol:

• Like 3

Just did a quick test with one of the old hexagonal GW Man O' War flight bases (only flight bases I own). They seem to work well enough, shouldn't be to hard to find something similar.

It's a bit front heavy, but it stands on it's own. Add some decor/basing as a weight to the base though and it should be fine.

aZLhNBa.jpg

• Like 9

And on the bright side with that stand it can double as a part-Dalek in a Sci-Fi game.

I SHOW MY TRUE NATURE! I WILL ATTACK YOU WITH MY TOILET PLUNGER THAT I HAVE HIDDEN USING SORCERY! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

• Like 1

The aquarium decor option sounds best to me - flight stands can be annoyingly fragile.

But get a bit of brain coral, drill a hole to place a mounting post, and our good.

Driftwood, bits of shattered ship... even small sunken castle bits are readily available.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Yeah. I'll probably do some wire-trickery to make it seem to float when I do base it. I just wanted to see if the hole was even balanced :P

• Like 1

I don't know if it's true for plastic, but it's possible it was hollowed out to keep the thickness more uniform (which aids in cooling), while keeping both weight and material costs down.  I know some of the meatier metal figs are that way [like Charon's boat], and was a trick very commonly used back in my TSA days to make larger, more aerodynamic CO2 dragsters while keeping the weight down.

• Like 1

Yeah. I'll probably do some wire-trickery to make it seem to float when I do base it. I just wanted to see if the hole was even balanced :P

Something that would work because of the light weight of Bones - rather than mounting to the stand in the bottom, mount to the side, so that it looks like it is brushing the terrain in passing.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3