Bones storage, big and small

spade413

I've seen some great ideas on storage solutions hidden in other threads, but I didn't see a consolidated place to share Bones storage ideas.  With many of us now having multiple Bones KS to keep track of, it seemed like a natural topic of discussion.

A lot of IKEA solutions have come up for displaying the larger mini's (excuse the oxymoron).  I don't know how or where I'll be putting my larger pieces yet,  but I have become completely smitten by these containers from Harbor Freight for my smaller pieces:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_23120.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_15143.jpg

As a DM, I like that I can keep my monsters separated in a variety of ways.  The yellow partitions in the cases aren't sliding dividers, they are actual, removable bins.  This allows me to pull out two or three bins to have available on the table, without having to keep the larger case out while running a battle.  It also makes for easy rearrangement of the larger case, such as keeping all my skeletons together on one side of it.  

The 19 bin case is shallow, suitable for medium and most large sized figures.  The 8 bin case is about twice as deep, and it wonderful for the larger minis with wings (like the griffon and silver dragon) and the longer mini's (like the goroloth). 

I currently have two 19 bin cases, one 8 bin case, and one of the plastic cases from the first Bones KS.  I keep most of my character figures in the Bones case, for easy sorting, and the other three cases easily hold all the rest of my Bones minis, from KS I and II combined (excluding the larger figures, of course.  No mere plastic case can contain Cthulu!).  There is some room for growth, but not much.

Harbor freight also offers this case, which I haven't used, but that seems to be similar in form, just smaller:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_22223.jpg

Edited to replace direct links to product with links to images, instead.

Edited by spade413
  • Like 2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are good cases, but you can't post commerce links to the boards.  You can post the pictures and say it's from harbor freight, just not a link to a page where you can buy something.

I use some other cases similar to those that I picked up at Ocean State Job Lot.  I also have a figure case from Bones 1 with no foam (the case I was sent had no foam, Reaper sent me a new on and let me keep the foamless case) that I store all of my big unpainted minis in.

• Like 2

Those are good cases, but you can't post commerce links to the boards.  You can post the pictures and say it's from harbor freight, just not a link to a page where you can buy something.

I use some other cases similar to those that I picked up at Ocean State Job Lot.  I also have a figure case from Bones 1 with no foam (the case I was sent had no foam, Reaper sent me a new on and let me keep the foamless case) that I store all of my big unpainted minis in.

Thank you for pointing out the commerce links.  I have edited the links to now go to a picture of the cases.  I apologize for my confusion.

I've never seen an Ocean State Job Lot, but I'm checking out their website.  Very cool, thank you!

I like Really Useful Boxes (a brand name, available at Staples and elsewhere in the US, or direct in the US or UK). I get magnet sheet in rolls, then cut and glue pieces to cover the bottom of the box. All of my gaming miniatures end up on steel-bottomed bases, so they stick to the boxes to minimize bounce in travel. The Bones are so light that they don't have much problem with coming loose in ordinary transportation.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 1

Thank you for pointing out the commerce links.  I have edited the links to now go to a picture of the cases.  I apologize for my confusion.

I've never seen an Ocean State Job Lot, but I'm checking out their website.  Very cool, thank you!

Pretty sure they are a New England only discount store chain.  I'm sure you can find similar stores anywhere.

• Like 1

I used to use those Plano fishing tackle boxes for my WizKids MechWarrior armies... they're nice boxes, but they're limited in configurability, so you sometimes need to get creative to try to fit minis in them, and you can't always utilize the storage as well as you'd like. Of course, those 'mechs all had chunky round bases, around Large size in D&D terms, so human-sized Reaper minis should fit them better, and dedicating inconveniently shaped bits of storage to painting supplies would probably let you use the rest of the buffalo.

• Like 2

D&D and Pathfinder Pre-Paints and unpainted bones go in Plano tackle boxes. Well built and good cost/inch of storage.

Anything (metal or bones) that has been custom painted, based, or has a lot of gluing involved (e.g. Griffon, Dragons) goes into foam storage. Currently using Battlefoam, but I'm considering picking up a couple Portable Warfare cases to hold the big bones 2 stuff as I ummm only bought ummm 20 of them...

• Like 1

Pretty sure they are a New England only discount store chain.  I'm sure you can find similar stores anywhere.

New England, New York, New Jersey.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 1

I have some cases from the Bones I KS which works for maybe 75% of the Bones figures I have (plus some metal figures).  The rest are in a variety of Plano cases, or are yet to be cased.  I like the Plano cases, as the slots are fairly customizable (in one direction, at least) and they have a good amount of room for accommodating oddly-shaped miniatures that don't fit in typical foam figure trays.

I try to stay away from uncoated cardboard boxes, as they're bad about attracting bugs.  I live in Florida and Palmetto bugs seem to really like cardboard...  :wacko:

I have a Bones I case which is great for the smaller figures, a Mantis case on the way - maybe - one day.... and a cheap stackable plastic tray from the local hardware mega-store which is great for the large figures.

Only issue with the plastic tray was that the painted bones sliding back and forth on the plastic had some of their paint sanded off the the texture of the plastic. Now fixed by lining the bottom with some of the cheap rubbery-weave cloth that's used to line kitchen draws.

• Like 2