Barbarian Hordes by Red Box Games (KS #6)

ub3r_n3rd

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn shame it doesn't really look like the campaign will hit a third themed set. ::(: 

It's pretty hard for me to justify low-level pledges on US Kickstarters because that's where shipping hurts the most. So reaching at least a third themed set is kind of essential. 

Yeah, between the Berserkers, Tre finishing the mounted champion (which will count as a themed set) and probably an extra Jotunn, I'm not worried about getting a full Vanguard pledge worth of minis.

Heck, if Tre is really in the zone we might even see some Craven, if those are up next on the list of what people want. No pressure, Tre. :poke:::D::;,;:

• Like 5

Tre, ganking the price of a model up two weeks into the KS isn't really the best answer...

Specially when I can get a Hordesman hero solo for cheaper.

He didn't "gank" anything. He never had a price per figure actually on the front page, he's been super busy with this, his business (had to do a restock and ship out some orders), and his family so probably answered the $8 per figure as that's his "standard" kickstarter price for individual normal-sized figures and $1 isn't really a "gank" IMO, he's trying to support his family and keep his small business up and running without losing money.

What do you mean,

I thought this was all new stuff?

This is all new stuff.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

Tre, ganking the price of a model up two weeks into the KS isn't really the best answer...

He didn't "gank" anything. He never had a price per figure actually on the front page, he's been super busy with this, his business (had to do a restock and ship out some orders), and his family so probably answered the $8 per figure as that's his "standard" kickstarter price for individual normal-sized figures and $1 isn't really a "gank" IMO, he's trying to support his family and keep his small business up and running without losing money.

I stand corrected, and probably shouldn't have used ganked anyways for only a dollar.  It was still listed as 8 each since much earlier in the kickstarter though.  I'm not saying he has to honor the price, but it's going to make the maidens stand out as a bad value if they're nine each and the other four packs are listed as eight each if/when he gets to sculpting them.

--Edit

Edited because I failed at comprehension.  The hero is still only listed at 8 a solo, which is honestly one of his best human sized sculpts.

Edited by Lochar
  • Like 1

I stand corrected, and probably shouldn't have used ganked anyways for only a dollar.  It was still listed as 8 each since much earlier in the kickstarter though.  I'm not saying he has to honor the price, but it's going to make the maidens stand out as a bad value if they're nine each and the other four packs are listed as eight each if/when he gets to sculpting them

It wasn't listed anywhere though, other than myself who after a quick answer from the busy Trebeard put down $8 for them, I put it down in that quick spreadsheet I built, which I should go back and update...

I'm actually curious if all the 4 set figures will be $8 or $9 each though. He could say that just the chosen (the only 5-set) are $8 each.

• Like 1

That Hero is definitely on my buy list, he's awesome and totally agree one of the best. With 10 days to go, I'm very confident that we'll have at least 4 themed sets to choose from and some other add-ons (such as Tre's version of Conan).

Would love to see him work on the female Craven set after the second Jotunn and these current berserkers.

ETA: I was going through my figures last night and realized that one of them I recently purchased from Hasslefree (and arrived a couple of days ago) day was actually sculpted by Tre! It was Jholkar of Bolverk.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Anyway, Tre really could benefit from even a small amount of planning and foresight with his KS projects. I know he likes to sculpt as it goes and all, but we're witnessing a low point of that strategy right now. Need to have stuff set through about 20k from the very beginning. Based on these last couple, anyway. Even if the sculpting's not done, a set plan for the $$$ RBG projects draw in easily.

I'm not particularly put out by this price shift I guess, but it does lower the value somewhat for me. Un terms of putting up for it now or grabbing later. But I'm not nearly as into these sets as some of his other stuff. The best items, I still think, is add-on stuff right now, heh. Hordesman hero and Jotunn are my only definites, at the moment, plus a Chosen or two and maybe a Helsmaiden. I'll be looking at the mounted champ set, was liking what i was seeing there, and really looking forward to the berserkers and Craven, though, if we get that far.

But, yeah, again: A little planning would go a long way, here. Or would've.

• Like 3

The problem with "planning" and "foresight" are that with KS they are harder to do. Every single kickstarter I've ever backed (well over 20 now) has changed at least 1 thing while in the progress/process of their campaign. Sure, we can say he should've done this or could do that, but the fact of the matter is that Tre's KS are very fluid because he listens to his backers so closely and tries hard to give us what we want. In nearly every kickstarter there'll be a mid-campaign lull where it will barely move up and then the last few days will see a big jump. As Tre gets more sculpted, it will lure in more backers and the last 2 days you'll see a very large jump in this.  He's had 5 very successful kickstarters previous to this one. 

• Like 4

I stand corrected, and probably shouldn't have used ganked anyways for only a dollar.  It was still listed as 8 each since much earlier in the kickstarter though.  I'm not saying he has to honor the price, but it's going to make the maidens stand out as a bad value if they're nine each and the other four packs are listed as eight each if/when he gets to sculpting them

It wasn't listed anywhere though, other than myself who after a quick answer from the busy Trebeard put down $8 for them, I put it down in that quick spreadsheet I built, which I should go back and update...

I'm actually curious if all the 4 set figures will be $8 or $9 each though. He could say that just the chosen (the only 5-set) are $8 each.

It was stated clear as day on the main page. The prices quoted in the KS comments came from the stated prices that were up yesterday. Today it says "Helsmaiden Solo........$9.00 per figure", but yesterday it was at $8. I know $1 isn't that big a deal. I just want to correct the notion that it wasn't listed anywhere. The prices were all under the ADD-ONs... section. He increased the price after I pointed out the math. 

Personally, I think his solution for making the set price cheaper than the individual per mini price was a poor choice. It would've been great if he added another mini to the set to match the 5 Chosen. A Helsmaiden with no helmet would've been nice! Fixing the math by increasing the cost is a little off putting. There's no obvious reason that the Helsmaidens should cost more than the Chosen or the hero. They're smaller and less armored. If anything, the Chosen look pricier to manufacture. 

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 1