Barbarian Hordes by Red Box Games (KS #6)

ub3r_n3rd

If Tre had changed one (1) thing maybe I'd agree regarding fluidity. We're pretty well north of one (1).

I ain't by any stretch dumping on the dude by pointing this out. Changes occur and sh!t happens, etc. I'm sure there'll be an end jump in pledges. And that's good. I think we'd get that and more, though, if people knew what was available and what it costs and what's next and on and on. It's just good business.

I'll confess my particular irritation is swapping stretch goals. Drives me a little nuts that we'll about unlock something like the mounted champ and then get a Jotunn, cool as it is, instead, with the champ getting pushed back another 3k or whatnot.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that for the past few Tre kickstarters I don't back until the last few hours as he's always changing crap around and it's annoying--I might not even back this one as I'm tired of having to re-read everything to see what's available and what's next every few days. Right now picking things up will just be less hassle once they go retail.

He really substantially changes the focus of his kickstarters in hopes of trying to get the most number of backers he should just stop naming them with a theme--he focuses more on a few active backers on what he should do next instead of what he original set out to do.

• Like 4

[...] he focuses more on a few active backers on what he should do next instead of what he original set out to do.

This is true, it is in particular clear if you look at the first KS, and how it changed mostly because of what I feel are a few vocal backers. And it went pretty much downhill because of that.

• Like 1

I don't think it's bad to focus on what people say they want but that research should be done before the campaign starts. One or two changes during a campaign isn't a big deal (like KS5 where there was like one switch) but going for all the Jotan because a few screamed for them really screwed over all those that backed for units and now are wondering what to do with their larger pledges.

I'm also saying that as someone who likes the Jotan but I haven't backed as there's no way to get just a Jotan--you have to buy something else to buy one.

• Like 1

I don't think it's bad to focus on what people say they want but that research should be done before the campaign starts. One or two changes during a campaign isn't a big deal (like KS5 where there was like one switch) but going for all the Jotan because a few screamed for them really screwed over all those that backed for units and now are wondering what to do with their larger pledges.

I'm also saying that as someone who likes the Jotan but I haven't backed as there's no way to get just a Jotan--you have to buy something else to buy one.

That's it in a nutshell. Personally, I never had a complaint about the minis. They're all first rate. It's the pledge levels that make this confusing. Vanguard makes so many backers think that they can get 2 sets of barbarians and a Jotan or two. It's a 4 group pledge level when with 2 groups to pick from. It made the Jotan and a horse rider look like a group option. If Tre had stuck to finishing the 4 groups that comprise the Vanguard level it would've been much clearer.

That said, if he had made pledging based on shipping, giving backers the option to add any unlocked mini or set, right from day one with no Vanguard, backing would've been clear and easy. He could have added a "Vanguard add-on" once we had 4 groups unlocked. Confusion dispelled. 

The minis are strong. It's poor organization and "user interface" that keeps snagging people. That's not surprising. Many creative geniuses struggle with both organization and making things simple. I can't fault him for that. This is where backer feedback can help. 

• Like 4

I feel some artists use kickstarters like this for inspiration.

When it works, it's great, they are able to produce faster and better than without the constant feedback. Creating artwork can sometimes be some very lonely work with delayed gratification. So any ability to connect with people who like and appreciate the work while it is being done can be very gratifying.

But there is always a dangerous... because sometimes it's not everything we might want.

• Like 6

I originally only counted on funding the one set of Chosen. Everything else was a maybe. I wanted to do all of them, hell I would sculpt new stuff for every single range in the RBG line if the funding allowed it.

The Vanguard pledge level is only meant to allow people to buy multiple sets of any successfully funded set of minis, it was not intended as a placeholder pledge to get one of each set exclusively. It could be used either way. This was partly to allow flexibility throughout the life of the campaign ( so I would not have to keep adding new pledge levels every time a new set unlocked ) and partly to allow people to pledge for more than one set as desired. There are a lot of people who jut pledged to get more than one set of Chosen.

The funding level for the berserkers is higher than the funding for the HelsRider because that allows me to afford to sell all 5 of them cheaply as a set in the Vanguard pledge level. The Helsrider is a priority but it is not yet ready to show again. People have been wanting me to do something to get the campaign moving again so that is all I am trying to do. People asked for more units to justify their pledges so I am trying to make them happy.

We have lost more than $5k in pledges over the past 5 days. Clearly I have made mistakes here but I am not trying to play anybody.  I do not like using concept art because i like for people to see exactly what they are going to get by the time the campaign ends. I am just trying to respond to what people want in the time I have left. I am working on the Helsrider and I will get it back into the running.

• Like 10

Berserkers look like they'll shape up nicely (and be more to my liking than the other sets, really). Hope they get the fires burning.

Still, disappointed regarding the rider. Hope he indeed makes it along.

• Like 3

While the berserkers indeed look like a great start, they are not really living up to the hype of finally seeing some more "dynamic" poses that Tre promised. Unfortunately, yet again, we get to see the familiar "Tre-Wide-Stance" pose. While it work individually and is great for painters and collectors, etc. they will not look as good when grouped up together with other of the figures with the same stance. :)