Barbarian Hordes by Red Box Games (KS #6)

ub3r_n3rd

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with his scale. Are they smaller or larger than most Reaper minis?

Usually a bit smaller, he does true scale with proportions. He has sculpted quite a bit for Reaper and Hasslefree too.

These are a bit bigger he's stated since they are from hel and true warriors/berserkers/barbarians.

• Like 3

Well the scale is nto smaller than Reaper or GW. It is different. RBG humans are built on armatures that are 35 mm tall from the bottom of the foot to the top of the head with both feet together and back straight. The proportions are more " correct " than what is typically expected from miniatures that are widely considered to be 28 mm " heroic " scale. There are a few scale comparison pics floating around the web but I will be posting my own scale reference pics to the KS later today. That way there can be no confusion.

More and more often you are going to see " heroic" proportions less and less. With the current fashion of 3d printing I think you are going to see heroic proportions MUCH less often as heroic proportions is often just a relic of past days when materials and methods just were not what they are / can be today.

• Like 8

Well the scale is nto smaller than Reaper or GW. It is different. RBG humans are built on armatures that are 35 mm tall from the bottom of the foot to the top of the head with both feet together and back straight. The proportions are more " correct " than what is typically expected from miniatures that are widely considered to be 28 mm " heroic " scale. There are a few scale comparison pics floating around the web but I will be posting my own scale reference pics to the KS later today. That way there can be no confusion.

More and more often you are going to see " heroic" proportions less and less. With the current fashion of 3d printing I think you are going to see heroic proportions MUCH less often as heroic proportions is often just a relic of past days when materials and methods just were not what they are / can be today.

What's the word on the 2nd Jotunn? I've asked in the KS comments too, but you may have missed it.

• Like 2

Another part of it may be, and I'm just throwing it against the wall here, no serious thought, just something to 'think about', is who are the customers?

If you're looking for 'new' customers, having figures of yours side by side with currently existing product and product from other companies, can go a long way in showcasing how your figures fit in.

If you're looking to pull in previous customers, you might have a flow/ebb problem in that "Well, I needed X and I've got it." in that no matter what is done after the person has X, they aren't going to buy.

If you're looking for a mix, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator in the room, which would be the new people, and have as much information in as clearly a manner possible laid out. The people who already know it all won't mind seeing it again.

There's also the out of control variables like other Kickstarters. Conan and Blood Rage sucked a lot of 'barbarian' oxygen out of the room for example but there was zero that Tre could have done about it.

The other problem is that there are 'general interest' fantasy bits out there that people will like, that again, that Tre has no control over, but people might perceive as a 'better' deal like the upcoming Raging Heroes or the current Dwarven Forge.

Tre's in a bit of a difficult spot. His material isn't inexpensive and it's not premium. The Kickstarters offer a slight discount off of retail but nothing like say, Reaper's Bones or CMON Wrath of Kings.  

With the number of Kickstarters he's got under his belt, now might be the time to use those contacts and try to do some market research to minimize the time spent reacting and instead plan out ahead.

Lots of potential problems with having your own business and in a field as competitive as Tre's, I wouldn't want to wish the numerous headaches on anyone.

• Like 2

I did a quick comparison shot of an RBG figure waaaaay back in the halcyon days of KS1:

Scale.jpg

The figure on the left is an old 25mm Ral Partha figure; the one on the right is a GW elf from the early 2000's. As Tre says, his figures are actually built to the same general height as modern figures, but they look smaller simply by virtue of having more realistically scaled heads, hands, weapons, etc.

• Like 4

Lots of potential problems with having your own business and in a field as competitive as Tre's, I wouldn't want to wish the numerous headaches on anyone.

Are those numerous headaches the string of successful KS projects? Hitting well north of 200% funding on this one? Slow and steady wins the day.

My only advice to Tyr is to stick to your creative instinct and sculpt awesome stuff that fires you up. You are our Frazetta, dude. Live it.

Dakka will find another sculptor to do GW proportions, I'm sure :p

• Like 6

Are those numerous headaches the string of successful KS projects? Hitting well north of 200% funding on this one? Slow and steady wins the day.

My only advice to Tyr is to stick to your creative instinct and sculpt awesome stuff that fires you up. You are our Frazetta, dude. Live it.

Dakka will find another sculptor to do GW proportions, I'm sure :p

Agreed.

Also... Tyr?? Are you calling Tre a God now??   :huh:

• Like 3

:)

Second Jotunn.....well the armature is underway but I am focusing my efforts on the more immediate goals. Once those are down ( IF they go down ) then i will revisit the second Jotunn. If they do not it will have to wait for the next opportunity. :/ Sorry Uber. :(

• Like 1

Just did a major picture update on another forum (which most of the people who frequent it won't see until tomorrow my time). I hope that'll draw some people in, although I know quite a few of them pledged for Blood Rage and some are gearing up for Raging Heroes.

I still need to recalculate my pledge, but I'm getting one of everything + an extra Jotunn for a friend. ::D:

Edited by GentleGiant
  • Like 2

Just did a major picture update on another forum (which most of the people who frequent it won't see until tomorrow my time). I hope that'll draw some people in, although I know quite a few of them pledged for Blood Rage and some are gearing up for Raging Heroes.

I still need to recalculate my pledge, but I'm getting one of everything + an extra Jotunn for a friend. ::D:

I need more friends like you...
  • Like 2