Barbarian Hordes by Red Box Games (KS #6)

ub3r_n3rd

Lots of potential problems with having your own business and in a field as competitive as Tre's, I wouldn't want to wish the numerous headaches on anyone.

Are those numerous headaches the string of successful KS projects? Hitting well north of 200% funding on this one? Slow and steady wins the day.

My only advice to Tyr is to stick to your creative instinct and sculpt awesome stuff that fires you up. You are our Frazetta, dude. Live it.

Dakka will find another sculptor to do GW proportions, I'm sure :p

EH? String of successful KS projects?

The first one was a disaster. The unfortunate partnership with the Troll Forged miniatures lead to many a lesson, especially about costs outside of one's control in terms of shipping and handling as I believe that one got dinged at least once with a large increase in s&h. Let's remember that Tre didn't try out Troll Forge because metal was getting cheaper. Still probably isn't.

The second one had issues.

I'm sure at some points here Tre has lost money. 

I'm saying that it's a very complex field with a lot of issues.

It's great to see him continuing to knock it out of the park. His talents remain at the top of the field in terms of what he can do.

I'm merely speculating that there are a lot of potential issues and that with the kickstarters he has under his belt, he might be better served by using real customer information he has and expand out to those customers, engage with them, on something that can lead to long term growth as opposed to trying to spike a Kickstarter for short term goal achievement.

He's definately passionate about his work and that can take him far. He's also willing to listen to people who speak out. SOme here, in this thread though, ahve noted, perhaps too willing to listen to what people say.

Market research can enhance that. Something like 

"Our records indicated you've supported one or more kickstarters. Did you spend X. XX. XXX. XXXX. Would you buy again? Etc.. etc... etc..."

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did a major picture update on another forum (which most of the people who frequent it won't see until tomorrow my time). I hope that'll draw some people in, although I know quite a few of them pledged for Blood Rage and some are gearing up for Raging Heroes.

I still need to recalculate my pledge, but I'm getting one of everything + an extra Jotunn for a friend. ::D:

I need more friends like you...

Oh, he's paying for it himself! ::P:

We just figured it would be easier (and cheaper) with shipping, and one less order for Tre, to put it in with my pledge. ::):

• Like 1

String of successful KS projects?

Yes.

1st KS was a mess, thanks to reasons we all know.

2nd was bumpy, but a lot of that was Tre expecting to make a lot more and learning how to run a smaller, focused KS. He canceled it with 300% backing, which was silly, yet the relaunch was successful and it was a great KS, one of my favorites (love the gobs and dwarves).

3rd was laser focused and set the course for how Tre does business now. Great project.

4th, 5th and now 6th, all successful. This latest is going well, despite being similar to the initial Helsvakt and the 4th KS hordesmen many of us own; and coming during Blood Rage (which he also backed heh) and before Raging Heroes. There's never a good time to run a KS, just a lucky time. He's sculpting cool minis and making money. Production and fulfillment are going well (assuming he doesn't move a few more states again, hah!).

You know how many companies would love to have 4 successful KS under their belt while running a successful 5th? That's a string of successful KS, right there.

• Like 8

So has there been any feedback on whether the jotun will be available as two for a rank?

That would require a second to unlock before addressing (assuming you don't mean duplicate minis). That would mean quite a bit of unlocks.

So has there been any feedback on whether the jotun will be available as two for a rank?

He said that if you want to buy just the jotunn, you can add $10 to the solo pledge. Another on top of that would be an additional $18.

I know Tre aka Tyr, doesn't want to lock himself into art work for the minis, but even a few sketches of rough concept art would have helped. When you have a few sculpts emerging you aren't sure (unless you are part of the RBG fangroup) what you are getting. I just saw muscles and boobs, went to the RGB site, looked around, then pledged. But I can see as a new person to RGB not being sure if you want to pledge or not.

Other KS do a "concept art- this is concept art, fnished mini may not look like the image above" it would at least give more body and fluff to the main page of the KS.

Just my 2 cents. If he makes anything else with boobs skulls and weapons I will be backing it.  :)

Also- I got my new debit card today, so I need to activate that, then update my info on KS so my pledge doesn't get kicked out for non functioning payment info tomorrow...

• Like 3

I know Tre aka Tyr, doesn't want to lock himself into art work for the minis, but even a few sketches of rough concept art would have helped. When you have a few sculpts emerging you aren't sure (unless you are part of the RBG fangroup) what you are getting. I just saw muscles and boobs, went to the RGB site, looked around, then pledged. But I can see as a new person to RGB not being sure if you want to pledge or not.

Other KS do a "concept art- this is concept art, fnished mini may not look like the image above" it would at least give more body and fluff to the main page of the KS.

Just my 2 cents. If he makes anything else with boobs skulls and weapons I will be backing it.  :)

Also- I got my new debit card today, so I need to activate that, then update my info on KS so my pledge doesn't get kicked out for non functioning payment info tomorrow...

Do you think that images of previous work (not available during the campaign, but available in webstore currently) would be a helpful thing as a compromise? It would showcase his talents, while not making him feel stifled creatively during sculpting.

• Like 1

The only real market data is what people buy, how much of it, and at what price. That is the real market data: money. I don't want to sound cynical, but people open their mouths a lot faster than their wallets, and what comes out is very often worth a lot less. (Some of it will grow your mind, or heart, or soul, but most of it only grows really lush vegetables, and not much at all grows your business  ;)   )

• Like 8

@Talae I would think having mroe anything on the KS would ahve helped.

Many people just want all info put in front of them, do not want to have to look for it and will quickly click away if it isn't there.

The more "clicks" you have to make the less likely you are to stay.

Tre's looked very sparse for the duration of the KS and I can see this being a turn off for many people. Even a previous barabrians made with pics may have helped "flesh out" the front page.

I don't mean to be nit picky or tell anyone how to run a KS since I have never run one. Just my thoughts as a collector of minis and online shopaholic.

• Like 1

I want some Craven.

Too much talk. More pledging.

Tre's work is amazing and this is his 7th KS; if you want reference material hit the Red Box Games website and do some shopping while you're there. If you want to see some painted figures his the group WIP project going on right now.

• Like 4

I want some Craven.

Too much talk. More pledging.

Tre's work is amazing and this is his 7th KS; if you want reference material hit the Red Box Games website and do some shopping while you're there. If you want to see some painted figures his the group WIP project going on right now.

See, just about everybody here is already on that page.  But for the hundreds or more that are on the KS but not Reaper forums, your words don't reach them.

• Like 5

I almost upped another $20 for a mounted helsmaiden, but I don't know which maiden it will be and I like some more than others.

Ditto to Lochar. Every click away from the KS is a chance the person may not come back.

• Like 3