Barbarian Hordes by Red Box Games (KS #6)

ub3r_n3rd

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That final berserker is going to have that axe landing on someone - with blood splattering everywhere (water effects and GW Blood for the Blood God will work well for this), when I get him on the painting table! They all look great - excited to see them finished!

• Like 4

That final berserker is going to have that axe landing on someone - with blood splattering everywhere (water effects and GW Blood for the Blood God will work well for this), when I get him on the painting table! They all look great - excited to see them finished!

Another great way to do good blood effects is combining Uhu glue (black label) + Tamiya Clear Red or if you don't have Uhu, try out E6000 glue. It makes VERY convincing blood/gore.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

Ha you and everybody else. The only thing that would be better if he was a left handed swordsman

Ironically, that depends on which version of Warduke you're referencing. There are pictures with his sword in the right hand/left hand, etc. 

• Like 2

Ha you and everybody else. The only thing that would be better if he was a left handed swordsman

Ironically, that depends on which version of Warduke you're referencing. There are pictures with his sword in the right hand/left hand, etc. 

Haha yeah I know, it's a big mess.  I prefer the original card art and coloring book lefty, versus the Dungeon Magazine and the pre painted miniatures right handed version.  

Haha yeah I know, it's a big mess.  I prefer the original card art and coloring book lefty, versus the Dungeon Magazine and the pre painted miniatures right handed version.  

I'm just going to do the best I can with what Tre has sculpted. I'll still have a ton of green stuff to add and bits to modify to even attempt this little project so I'll just let the weapon settle into whichever hand!!!

• Like 2

Jun 8 2015

Update # 36 checking in....bigger update imminent

Hey everybody, 

Sorry for the long silence. I have been working to get these figures into proper shape. I had to make a lot of fixes on the Chosen as many of the spikes broke in the packaging so I had to drill out the holes and then replace ALL of the spikes, which believe me took MUCH longer to complete than would seem reasonable. I have also made a lot of changes to the War Staff. I was intensely unsatisfied with those figures as they were and decided to carve off a lot of stuff and re-sculpt them anew. These are all but finished now lacking on the horn and weapon and skull trinkets for the musician and the standard right hand and weapon for the standard bearer.

I have re-sculpted the face on the female craven with the full face hood and she looks MUCH better now. All that si left for the craven is sculpting their daggers which I am doing today. After that the Jotunn's Chain weapon has been a bit of a pig. Thus far I have not been able to achieve the results I wanted but I think I have found a solution. I WILL be posting an update to the project either later today or tomorrow morning to show the current state of progress on all models.

We are very close now. Production in metal usually does not take very long at all. The last batch Valiant handled they finished within 2 weeks. Not that I expect them to be able to do that with this batch but I do think it is a good reference to judge how long production will take once it has begun in earnest.

The only delay I can foresee is going to be cutting the horse for production. This might take a week or more to complete but everything else will move right along without that piece just fine. Anyway I am going to get back to it today to get this stuff finished out and ready for y'all's selections.

Cheers

Tre'

• Like 3

Jun 11 2015

Update # 37 Apologies and WIP shots

Hey Everybody,

I am again very sorry for not having updated as promised the other day. I had wanted to make more progress ( finish the Chosen War Staff ) to make the update a bit more " complete" but my ambitions for the figures are proving to be more labor intensive than originally expected.... mostly I just cannot leave them alone.

I was VERY disappointed in the original sculpts so I carved off a LOT of the sculpts and re-sculpted larger sections of the models, and decided to add a lot of details to make them a bit more " standout " next to the other Chosen. I am not quite done yet. I am going to add some detail work to the Leader's Axe and put spikes on the ball of his flail and maybe add a few more details to the devices on his cloak. The Horn Blaster's Horn needs detailing and he still needs hair and a weapon. I am thinking he carry a hammer.....not sure...Hammer seems like a 2 handed weapon...... This Standard bearer's standard is going to be as special as my abilities will allow. Remember the art for Hel int he first KS campaign?? I am going to TRY to put that on the disk hanging at the top of the standard and there are going o scalps and skulls and other bone trinkets festooned about the top and pole of the standard.

7b85b999f37f3f1a7808928e3f8c2da1_origina

Chosen Leader

5740d6434615fcab8a944364465eed15_origina

Chosen Horn Blaster

d3503e56fe612e2e549ef69b19dead94_origina
Chosen Standard Bearer

Now for the HelsMaidens...... I had to do a bit of re-sculpting on a  couple of them to get them in to one piece. It took a little longer than I had thought it but they are done now just needing a few spikes and the details of the weapons.

02fb79512d7a3599d4e21f7b1e312627_origina
HelsMaidens

I have also just about wrapped up the Hordesmen Leader figure as well.

d9690c8097614a3741e7649d451d7fc7_origina
Hordesman Leader

And the Craven are nearly done as well...... I had to separate the bow from the arm on a  couple of them but these will be sprued to the foot tab and will be engineered to make assembly as painless as possible. I also re-sculpted the head on the third Craven Femme to give her a hood. I almost covered the lower half of her face with a mask but I kind of like the open face.....What do you guys think?

67d5a14fb82e1ab9fdd99c7b322f2f4e_origina
Craven

And Finally the Horse. I still need to work on the head and there are a few more details I want to add here and there. The riders still need their details and I have to replace the shield on the HelsRider male as the outside edge of it broke off. It seems I am repairing spikes every time I turn around which is dragging the process out a bit and theme fatigue is definitely setting in but I am just right there at the finish line. The biggest project remaining at this point is the Jotunn's shackles and Chain weapon which i want to be something really cool. Bear with me just a wee little bit further and we will be over the finish line.

I do very sincerely apologize for the delays I AM working on this, it is just a LOT of stuff and a LOT of fiddly details.

As always all comments are welcome!

Cheers Yall!

Tre'

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 6

Heya Tre!

I commented on the KS, but will say it here too:

Really like what you're doing here Tre, that Hornblaster is AWESOME! I don't really care for the fully masked Craven male though, he's just very odd and doesn't seem to fit your aesthetic for these figures, maybe if he also had a hood it'd make it more believable, but I also really like to be able to paint faces so if his face was exposed that'd be cool too.

• Like 1

I think that the full masked Craven seems to fit in well with the full or partially masked craven already existing in the line, it's just a different mask.

Also I can't wait to get my hands on these and can't wait to see the mounted champions

Just makes me think more of Michael Myers from Friday the 13th than a badelf craven from Tre's line.

Michael_myers_1.jpg