Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
By Lidless Eye
I know I messed up the timing this year, and worked on Deadcember instead of Orctober. I wasn't feeling super-motivated by the small amount of unpainted Orcs I had, but from my Frostgrave II: Arcanic Boogaloo order had a ton of the living dead. And one never has enough Zombies.
However, it means there's plenty of spookybois to be shown off!
The Draugr, mostly converted from the Fireforge Living Dead Peasants and Frostgrave Barbarians with some Warhammer bits.
The Knockers, again Fireforge Living Dead Peasants with Warhammer Dwarf Miners hats and bits from Mantic and Mage Knight.
I think I should go back and add big rucksacks...and redo the flames to be the correct order.
Just plain Fireforge Living Dead Peasants, with the exception of a Frostgrave Cultist head for the Executioner.
The Old Vet, a 3D print from Retro Quest
Undead Pirates from EC3D "Depths of Savage Atoll"
Former Imperials, converted from Warhammer Empire, Mantic Undead, and Frostgrave Cultists (Undead bits)
Mostly Mantic. Beware the spine whip!
And lastly, when your Necromancer runs out of skulls, the Creeping Claws! 3D prints from Crippled God Foundry
Here is a set of five zombies I painted up - first 2 are wizkids and I found I did not really like the sculpt, a sort of Elvis pirate looking zombie. Second three are a mix of a wizkid and two reaper zombies. Quick paint ups for the table - being fortune to have an in-house group to play with!
So awhile back Uncle Adam on the YouTube mentioned something about making a Halloween themed killteam scenario. It seemed like a pretty good idea and after a lot of thought I decided to give it a try. How hard could it be to make a custom scenario for the spooky season? Having seen quite a few interesting wave based custom scenarios I knew that was the way I wanted to go. I also knew I wanted to use the undead (zombies and skeletons).
So the first problem is that I don't have enough zombies and skeletons for a wave based scenario. Not exactly wanting to break the bank for what will probably be a one off game I started looking for some cheap zombies. Turns out I didn't have to look hard or for very long. Zombies!!! Glowing Bag O' Zombies was just the ticket with 100 zombies (in four sculpts) for about $12 all in.
Now they're a little on the small size, but again this is a one off game. Besides painting a hundred figures for a one off game I don't think my buddies will have too much to say. Armed with this bag and the few undead I already have I think I'll have enough enemies to go around. Or maybe I need another bag?
I started out the night with two different sculpts with the simple intention of figuring out color schemes. First up was either a construction worker or a hunter, and honestly even after painting it I'm still not sure. As I blocked out the colors I was better able to see the figure's details, though I still don't know if it's a construction worker or a hunter. Would you call that a construnter?
I hit everything minus the skin and gore when I had an idea. I just might be able to put that grey primer to work. With just a red wash I might be able to completely skip painting the skin and gore.
I wouldn't exactly call it a success, but it's not terrible. This guy will probably squeak by as is but it looks like I'll be painting skin afterall.
Next up was a fellow carrying a severed leg. On this one I painted a skin tone but used just a wash again for the gore.
I think it looks better, but I'm still on the fence.
Though neither figure is finished I can't believe how quickly they painted up. Knowing that a batch paint was the next step I attached all the construction/hunters (construnters) to craft sticks.
Then seeing how much paint was leftover on my palette from this and a previous project I went ahead and basecoated all the pants.
I did not expect to do so much in just one night, but then again we all know I won't keep this pace.